DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GIVEAWAY: DJI Mavic Hard Case by Freewell Gear

Before you do anything else as a new pilot just practice manual takeoff and landing.

My understanding state farm does not cover crashes or damage but does cover flyawway and thefts.
Dji does not cover flyaway or thefts but does cover crashes and damage.
So choose your pill or by both or self insure with caution.
Regards
Buzz

When filing a state farm claim after a crash should one list it as stolen or a fly away ? LOL

For me the best tip I have had on the forum, if things like auto landing, dropping height, potential fly away... then put it in sports mode to disable the sensors, cancel all flight modes and return control; to the pilot.

Reactions: iajetpilot
Have reviewed this exact case - its high quality and solid in construction!
Good of the OP to give one away! ;)

Reactions: RedBully
Hover about 2m above the ground after takeoff and then set home point, wait roughly 10 seconds. The Mavic will take a photo of the ground so that it can use "Precision Landing" if it needs to RTH.

The manual states 10m, actually. (p15 of v. 1.4 manual). There is no dwell time, but I recommend 5 seconds in any case - time to check focus, exposure, recording, etc.

No need to set the Home Point - simply let the system do it on receiving GPS. IOW do not start the motors until GPS is received.

RTH Setup Checklist

Extend your battery life. Set your battery warning at 35% battery left, so you land with about 30% battery. Draining battery to 60% and not a full drain can get you an extra 50% flight time from the battery!

Extend your battery life. Set your battery warning at 35% battery left, so you land with about 30% battery. Draining battery to 60% and not a full drain can get you an extra 50% flight time from the battery!

Batteries are expendables to me - I got the drone to fly and film. Too much energy is used for start, take-off and travel to the objective, verifying and adjusting exposure/focus, then working the objective, then return and land. Trying to fit several of those into one battery is pretty hard.

So my target is rotors stopped at 20%.

Something simple I tell my self everytime I go fly. "Respect your craft. Respect yourself. Respect the airspace."

Learn the rules of the sky, take the part 107 test even if you are not going to use your drone for commercial use.
If you are not able to afford the test then study like you are going to take the test.
Knowledge is power educate others so we can be able to use are Quadcopters in the future and avoid accidents.

Reactions: iajetpilot
Don't forget to slide your P/Sport switch on the side of the RC to P-Mode before you take off!
Make this one of the last things you do before you take off to avoid unwanted surprises.
And don't forget, sometimes this switch can get accidentally pushed into sport mode if you are putting a tablet or large phone into the RC unit.

Reactions: wcsilva
Here's a tip screenshot your faa registration card and have it attached to your phone album and your tablet album due to all the harassments we get while flying...[emoji38]

Here's a good one: Tape a spare micro SD card to the bottom of your battery compartment to use if you either forget an SD card, or you run out of space on your primary card.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird