DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Go Fly App - flight screen orientation indicator

I have the same issue with an XR.. seems fine in the beginning of the flight and then becomes unreliable from there.8 have even noticed it disappears at time, the whole semi-circle

Also note that latest app may have fixed the issue. If you side loaded the app, then you might not have the version with the fix.

Try calibrating the compass while mounted in the RC.
I tried this yesterday. No improvement. The Skyreat insert to move the phone further away from controller had no effect. Tried flipping my phone, no improvement. Nothing works, the indicator on the bottom just will not work properly. At this point it seems to me like we’re definitely dealing with a bug. It doesn’t really affect me that much because I can always see my drone and know exactly where it is, but it’s still slightly annoying.

Reactions: StubbornSwiss
I tried this yesterday. No improvement. The Skyreat insert to move the phone further away from controller had no effect. Tried flipping my phone, no improvement. Nothing works, the indicator on the bottom just will not work properly. At this point it seems to me like we’re definitely dealing with a bug. It doesn’t really affect me that much because I can always see my drone and know exactly where it is, but it’s still slightly annoying.

@Matriculated01 .......

Yes, exactly the same results I had.

As you say, doesn't affect the drones operation as of now, but I too am slightly irritated and annoyed, that a feature that IS MEANT TO WORK does not.

Hopefully a fix will come soon.

@Matriculated01 .......

Yes, exactly the same results I had.

As you say, doesn't affect the drones operation as of now, but I too am slightly irritated and annoyed, that a feature that IS MEANT TO WORK does not.

Hopefully a fix will come soon.
Mine is also not working at all, completely useless feature at this point. I always have the RC pointed at the drone and probably 50+% of the time it displays it as being behind me. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S7 for what that is worth. No idea how to calibrate the phone compass. I amm regularly(most often) flying in completely wild forested areas or river valleys so I am happy to fly beyond VLOS as the worst case scenario is a lost drone, but it is annoying trying to use that feature to fly it home, I have been relying on the distance from RC displayed number instead as it is at least reliable and accurate but not the most efficient.

The Remote Controller of the Mavic Mini messes up the compass in some smartphones:
MM Compass Issues:

Smart Device Compass Calibration, try to calibrate the compass while the phone is mounted in the RC.

On Samsung:
1. Select Phone app.
2. Open keypad.
3. Enter *#0*#
4. Select Sensor.
5. Scroll down to “Magnetic Sensor”
The Compass should display a blue line pointing north with the number 3.
6. If it does not (Red line with the number 1) rotate the device 1 or 2 times around it's 3 axis until he blue line appears.
or Spin your phone all the way around in a figure-8 until it is calibrated.

How To Calibrate & Use Samsung's Built-in Compass

How to calibrate compass on Android

The Remote Controller of the Mavic Mini messes up the compass in some smartphones:
MM Compass Issues:

Smart Device Compass Calibration, try to calibrate the compass while the phone is mounted in the RC.

On Samsung:
1. Select Phone app.
2. Open keypad.
3. Enter *#0*#
4. Select Sensor.
5. Scroll down to “Magnetic Sensor”
The Compass should display a blue line pointing north with the number 3.
6. If it does not (Red line with the number 1) rotate the device 1 or 2 times around it's 3 axis until he blue line appears.
or Spin your phone all the way around in a figure-8 until it is calibrated.

How To Calibrate & Use Samsung's Built-in Compass

How to calibrate compass on Android
On mine the RC has zero effect on the phone’s compass (iPhone 7). Indicator not working right anyway. I’ve tried several different things, see above. Any other ideas?

Just doing the fancy figure 8 dance usually recalibrates Android compass. No need to go into fancy settings, especially ones not easily done on tablets.

I’ve had all types of DJI drones... phantoms, Mavics, and now the Mavic Mini. The little drone is brilliant, but the flight interface is a bit wonky.

Is anyone else having issues with the flight screen orientation indicator at the bottom middle of the screen not even being close to accurate? I know how to fly, I know how it’s intended to work. Seems it was “close” to being correct initially, now it’s not even in the ballpark. I’ve recalibrated the IUM and compass, no effect.

Hopefully it’s something an update will correct.
Hi,
Same here, it started off working then it didn’t. I thought it might’ve been because I had my phone in Airplane Mode but that wasn’t the cause either. Sounds like another firmware update is required.

I had permission set for the app “when app is being used”. I’ve changed that to “all the time”. We’ll see if that helps.

I'm on my 2nd Mavic Mini (first one had lots of issues that I won't explain here) and on this one I'm having compass accuracy problems like you guys mention it at the beginning of this post. (the app is telling me the drone is behind me although I can see it right in front of me)

Before every flight, and I insist before every flights I have to do a compass calibration on the drone and on my phone.

This is quite annoying, especially cause when you fly then put the drone back in the case, walk a little bit then fly again, it means that I have to calibrate again and again... but it seems to solve the problem or at least make it better.

I didn't have this problem on the 1st MM so I think this has something to do with the RC messing up with the compass of my phone.
I'm not sure though, but that's the only explanation I've found so far...
If you guys have any feedback on this it would be nice.
Thanks

Solution?
mrkentdotcom
MAVIC MINI'S AIRCRAFT ORIENTATION DISPLAY

Thanks mate but as I said I did calibrate the compass on my phone.. In fact I've noticed that I have to calibrate all the time.
To calibrate on an Android device I have to go on google maps, and when I go on the compass calibration it says accuracy low. Then I calibrate and it's fine, but if I disconnect the phone and switch off the drone and RC and wanna fly again later, my compass accuracy is low again...
So that's why I was thinking maybe the RC is ******* up with the compass?!!..

Thanks mate but as I said I did calibrate the compass on my phone.. In fact I've noticed that I have to calibrate all the time.
To calibrate on an Android device I have to go on google maps, and when I go on the compass calibration it says accuracy low. Then I calibrate and it's fine, but if I disconnect the phone and switch off the drone and RC and wanna fly again later, my compass accuracy is low again...
So that's why I was thinking maybe the RC is ******* up with the compass?!!..
I think you're right.
Mavic Mini Compass Problem | Aircraft Orientation Indicator | Testing:

Yes it seems like it's exactly the problem I have... Only I didn't have the problem with the RC of my previous MM...
It's kind of annoying to do this little routine all the time but should I talk to the dealer where I got to drone to get it replaced again ?

Yes it seems like it's exactly the problem I have... Only I didn't have the problem with the RC of my previous MM...
It's kind of annoying to do this little routine all the time but should I talk to the dealer where I got to drone to get it replaced again ?
I don't think your previous RC didn't have this problem, maybe you never payed attention to it.
I did some testing and made a short video of the controller and a physical compass:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB