DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Go Fly App - flight screen orientation indicator

I had already lots of different Android phones from various vendors and all their compasses have been crap and almost unusable even for hiking. Before each usage I had to calibrate them again and again. And even just after laying around for a few hours or doing a restart the calibration was lost again.

My actual Huawei Mate 20 Pro is the only exception from this rule so far. I don't know what Huawei made different from the competitors but this compass is fully reliable without need for calibration.

I also did the test as shown in @tribar's video with the MM remote control, using a tool named "Gps Status". The compass didn't get disturbed, but there was an additional magnetic field detected which got signalled by a growing compass needle. Don't ask me how Huawei is compensating that, I don't know.

Screenshot_20200109_160630_com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2.jpg

I have the exact issue. With the mm fly app. I am using an iPhone 7 and I’m confident that the phones compass is correct. I would also like to find a solution.

In my opinion the only possible solution for flyers with this issue is the use of an elevated phone/tablet holder.
This way the smart device is further away form the RC, so less interference.

Thanks for your test that's very interesting.
I can tell that on the previous drone maybe there was magnetic interference as well but at least I didn't have the DJI Fly app telling me that the drone was behind me although it was right in front of me.
So I won't have to calibrate the compass all the time.
I assume some RC have stronger magnetic fields than others otherwise we'd hear more ppl saying than they have a wrong information of their drone position in the app. Don't you think?

Thanks for your test that's very interesting.
I can tell that on the previous drone maybe there was magnetic interference as well but at least I didn't have the DJI Fly app telling me that the drone was behind me although it was right in front of me.
So I won't have to calibrate the compass all the time.
I assume some RC have stronger magnetic fields than others otherwise we'd hear more ppl saying than they have a wrong information of their drone position in the app. Don't you think?

I also have this issue with my S9 and S8. I need to recalibrate phone compas is connected to RC and sometimes it works

If this is a case of interference and is a common problem, then why are we trying to put a Band-Aid on this issue instead of correcting the problem for everyone. Wouldn’t that be DJI’s responsibility?

If this is a case of interference and is a common problem, then why are we trying to put a Band-Aid on this issue instead of correcting the problem for everyone. Wouldn’t that be DJI’s responsibility?

Darn right, we're talking DJI Fly app compatible phones here. They should take responsibility and address the issue

Even DJI cannot override physics and this problem is not specific for the MM, it also occurs with all other remote controllers beginning with Mavic Pro. Only phone vendors can do something by improving their compass hard- and firmware, as Huawei has proven with Mate 20 Pro (and maybe their other models as well).

Even DJI cannot override physics and this problem is not specific for the MM, it also occurs with all other remote controllers beginning with Mavic Pro. Only phone vendors can do something by improving their compass hard- and firmware, as Huawei has proven with Mate 20 Pro (and maybe their other models as well).

That I indeed understand, a limitation with hardware will need a hardware fix unless they can reliably enough apply offsets for such devices. I'd be happy if dji provided adapters to raise the mobile phone, seeing as they're supported devices, but it'll unlikely happen.

Reactions: Rex Peters
That I indeed understand, a limitation with hardware will need a hardware fix unless they can reliably enough apply offsets for such devices. I'd be happy if dji provided adapters to raise the mobile phone, seeing as they're supported devices, but it'll unlikely happen.
I agree 100%, if the only way to use all functions within an software release is to modify your phone position in relation to the controller, that modification should be built into the controller and not supplied and paid for by the consumer.

Reactions: Manx
I’ve had all types of DJI drones... phantoms, Mavics, and now the Mavic Mini. The little drone is brilliant, but the flight interface is a bit wonky.

Is anyone else having issues with the flight screen orientation indicator at the bottom middle of the screen not even being close to accurate? I know how to fly, I know how it’s intended to work. Seems it was “close” to being correct initially, now it’s not even in the ballpark. I’ve recalibrated the IUM and compass, no effect.

Hopefully it’s something an update will correct.

New to the MM forum but been flying DJI for years. Mainly P3. When I first got the mini had the same issue with the radar being completely inaccurate. After countless calibrations of Mobile device (Nexus 9), mini, RC etc I was about to give up on the radar working properly. Then just playing around in the Fly App I decided to go into settings and see if anything could be changed which might be causing this so I went into Profile/settings/sync and turned off Mobile. Took it out and everything was working perfectly. Maps, Radar everything solve. You might try this. This has nothing to do with Firmware versions, App versions etc. Good luck. Maxx

my phone does not have sim, it is only for the drone and only wifi is turned on....and without the phone calibration together with the controller, doesn't show the correct position

Reactions: netsonic
Thank you. I was half a mile away ,but everything seemed to work fine. I live in a rural area at 6200 ft. Think I will fly farther when it turns red to see what it does.
Funny nothing in the logs or owners manual the addresses this.

How many satellites did you pickup? It will show you in the top right corner of the Fly app. I only see the flight orientation indicator go red when there isn’t enough satellites recognized. It’s not in the manual. Learned by experience.

Thanks again. Never less then 12 . But why nothing in the logs. It knows it did it. No nothing , just turns red .

I have a Pixel 3 and was having this issue.

I found a way to fix/reproduce

As long as I turn off Auto-Rotate screen before I use the application, I have no issues. If the phone has Auto-rotate screen on before starting the application, it usually shows the indicator at the bottom exactly opposite.

So turning off Auto-rotate before starting the application works for my combination.

Reactions: 308hjute
Thanks again. Never less then 12 . But why nothing in the logs. It knows it did it. No nothing , just turns red .
I have no answers for that and I also along with others have issues with the flight indicator not working. Another one of life’s mysteries... lol.

I’ve had all types of DJI drones... phantoms, Mavics, and now the Mavic Mini. The little drone is brilliant, but the flight interface is a bit wonky.

Is anyone else having issues with the flight screen orientation indicator at the bottom middle of the screen not even being close to accurate? I know how to fly, I know how it’s intended to work. Seems it was “close” to being correct initially, now it’s not even in the ballpark. I’ve recalibrated the IUM and compass, no effect.

Hopefully it’s something an update will correct.
I have the same problem. Purchased my mini on Dec 18th. all firmware up update as of Jan 20th, 2020. I have problem on both my S8 and iPad mini 4...both devices update to latest versions...for my first drone I'm very disappointed....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying