DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Going 1 Mile Out

Misery loves company, i am 64?
I can not see the onyx black mavic air color at dawn and dusk because illumination is still dark. But i can see obstacles because obstacles in metropolis are huge infrastructures and illuminated. So i navigate this labyrinth using metro provided illumination. It is out over the next area, the sea, that everthing gets real dark, however here there are no obstacles esp above 400 to 500 feet elevation. Camera shoots metro lightings returning back from the sea heading toward inner metro takeoff location. You must have able arms, sigh, continually orienting antennae for optimal screen linkage bars, and boy do my two arms fatigue holding the rcS8 up in front of my face facing mavic air always. Good to know, under quiescence, full 6000feet and return 6000feet chews the battery down to apprx 57percent, which i am wondering hovers on borderline inefficiency?

The biggest building in my metropolis is a Dollar general. But it is 20 foot tall. Lol

Cree is the indigenous people of central Canada. Don't know what that has to do my post but I didn't know what it meant either.
Omg, posting must be assigned another pilot reporting i utilize CREE for none illumination ambience flights (darkness dawn, dusk), where 1.5mile radius is viewed by naked eye gerentologically. Poster is accurate but what the heck is CREE

Thank you much.
Edified three grams.
I will trump that three grams, because two hours continuity adds unneeded mass. Bare minimum candela (4 to 7 milliampere fwd voltage 2 to 3) required gerontologically, @1.5mi. Sodium yellow and white combo superled(s)
Throw away after half hour flight. Yes, it gets worn at that junction interface, so suffers degradation brightness, that's why pulsed fired.

I flew 9100 feet at 200-250 feet up over empty arizona desert. Weak signal at 3500 then it was good up to 9100 and still a strong signal. Then got nervous and turned back. Battery got to 30% when i touched down.

I flew 9100 feet at 200-250 feet up over empty arizona desert. Weak signal at 3500 then it was good up to 9100 and still a strong signal. Then got nervous and turned back. Battery got to 30% when i touched down.
Arizona has significantly reduced interferences and obstructs.
Yes, at closer range blackwhite screen but further out color reception crystal clear and no connectivity warns. There is dissettlement being 6600feet out and none warnings, as if a teaser to go further, knowing headwind could casualty the mavic air into seaScreenshot_20190303-184604.pngScreenshot_20190303-184636.png

Uh, I thought you could only "legally" fly a drone if you maintain line of sight? What's all of this 1-2 mile flight capability I hear of?

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Uh, I thought you could only "legally" fly a drone if you maintain line of sight? What's all of this 1-2 mile flight capability I hear of?
Yes, there's pulsed strobe out to 1.5mile viewable, tiny ear battery superLED circuitry pulse, throwaway type 30minutes,cheapstuff works verywell, it is lighter than the already available ones

Reactions: Thomas B
Interesting - thank you,.
Some developer should purview the real kind of strobe utilizing xenon flash U-tube bulb, the kind in the disco dance floor. Nothing is free, esp the electricity needed for line of sight dedicated presence

I use 4 of the ARC2 Firehouse strobes placed as they are on full size aircraft with 2 whites rear facing. I have no problem seeing my drone in the desert at 2.5 miles.

I will admit that if I had a drone failure that would be a long walk!

Last edited:
I use 4 of the ARC2 Firehouse strobes place as they are on full size aircraft with 2 whites rear facing. I have no problem seeing my drone in the desert at 2.5 miles.

I will admit that if I had a drone failure that would be a long walk!
But your craft is that big brother to mavic air, right? The only payload volume afforded interior is the thermal shield annulus fwd bulkhead shielding heat penetrating camera main. Here the thin coin bat can reside. dc umbilicals and pulsed circuitry may or may not fit though exterior mount is ok but undesirable. Marketed strobes are for the big sized brutes, not this downsized mavic air.
Possibly an entirely profound alternative is pharmaceutical dilation night flying, but recovery is yet another pharmaceutical, and, you still gotta deal with mavic air's and apk visual brights.

Can anyone see it a mile out? I can barely get a 1/4 mile out before I lose sight of mine.

As a practical matter, I would submit that 1/4 mile is about the maximum useable distance, because of how hard it is to see the drone, much less see its orientation. A good strobe, like one of the Firehouse units that uses 4 Cree LEDs, certainly helps, especially at night, assuming that's legal where you're flying. I fly with both red and white strobes all the time. You can also make it more visible with prop guards, and/or applying high visibility wraps - forget about painting.

Just because you may have a good radio link does not necessarily mean you should fly that far out. In theory, I should be able to maintain the link out to 2 miles or so, but to me that just means that I have a higher link margin at the ranges I actually fly at.

Reactions: Thomas B
Amazing... we can put lights on our AC that mimic a locomotive, but by god you better not use binoculars to maintain VLOS!

As a practical matter, I would submit that 1/4 mile is about the maximum useable distance, because of how hard it is to see the drone, much less see its orientation. A good strobe, like one of the Firehouse units that uses 4 Cree LEDs, certainly helps, especially at night, assuming that's legal where you're flying. I fly with both red and white strobes all the time. You can also make it more visible with prop guards, and/or applying high visibility wraps - forget about painting.

Just because you may have a good radio link does not necessarily mean you should fly that far out. In theory, I should be able to maintain the link out to 2 miles or so, but to me that just means that I have a higher link margin at the ranges I actually fly at.
Takeoff is worst inside metropolis. hassles (emi and pinnacles of concrete).
but once furthered outwards into ocean it gets better and better, the pairing. Ive gathered high altitude sea view looking back at distant metropolis nighttime, i really relish the cinematography esp the reflect by shoreline quiescence mirrored waters. but dji.com forum mavic air anallists say don't metro fly (seems paranoid the dwarfed perspective over automobile casualties). I do not see nor hear commercial aircraft nights, only stealth bomber roars 2am super disturbing

Amazing... we can put lights on our AC that mimic a locomotive, but by god you better not use binoculars to maintain VLOS!
Gee, my senior eyes must be shot at sixtythree. To see the licenseplate, i must draw closer than the mandatory separation buffer one car length per 10mph of speed.
Are you folks there yet?
My career of tons paperwork and noninterlaced crt radiation has taken my focus esp close stuff like threading the needle.

Agree entirely, never go farther than I can see the bird. As you say, it’s the fact that I get maximum control signal ( the margin you refer to) with the Alientech booster antenna. I can see it because of the four Firehouse ARC2s.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d