DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Going "pro" - which model, that has 4k/60fps that can be adapted for 80% over use best?

Air2 S ?
Regardless of what you grabbed, one battery seldom keeps everyone happy.
You might see something you want to get some additional pictures of while your out doing your required task that doesn’t pertain to work stuff?
Glad you got it solved and good luck with the new adventure!
Yes, I ordered the air 2s. Not super thrilled about the waterproofing as I am usually in pretty windy/wavy conditions, but I'll buy the life jacket, insure it and call it a day.

Not super thrilled about the waterproofing
There really is not a lot of waterproof drones out there. The rain protector mentioned
previously is just that, rain protection. Even with the rain suit, water submersion is an issue that will require repair or replacement. There are numerous posts regarding flying from boats that you may want to investigate.
Don‘t fly until you hear the message”home point recorded”.
Be safe and have fun!

Will do!

One other question. Has DJI figured out master shots in 4k/60fps yet? Saw a youtuber mention that it only does 4k/30fps when master shots is running.

That's too bad.. it's one of the reasons I wanted this 2s, but prob wont be using MS if it cant run in 60fps..

I would need to check that thought. I keep both the air2 s and the m3 in the same case and tend to use the m3 more often because of the battery time. The air gets used for quick flights.

Air 2s seems best after reading the thread but if you ever want to go one step further then the mavic 3 is a good option. As you said, the mini isn’t really suitable here if your going to be flying in high winds - though I’ve heard mini 3 pro isn’t bad at it!

Okay, I'm back. Phew. Even the refurbished prices are huge on those!! ha ha.. no need for that level yet!

This is how I ended up living on a boat. Kept looking at boats just a little bit bigger than what I had!! Oh boy, okay, going to go take a look at the mavic 3.
If your going to be making some decent money then i would say it’s a good option! Just don’t tell your partner!!!

Got the 2s yesterday and took it for a quick hover just around the back yard. Amazing difference between the two, just flying, didn't even try to grab any video.. excited to get it registered and take it out this weekend, assuming there isn't some big registration process.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Thank you. I grabbed one from the ebay link, with the 2 year warranty, I will rarely need more than 1 battery, I think, these are just going to be quick short jobs.... planning to be on site an hour or less, record for 20-30 mins and then call it quits.

Might pickup a second used battery just in case..
Grab an extra battery it will save you when you think a battery was charging and it wasn’t . An extra battery is the best insurance you can have in this business.

Reactions: SWTSU
Have been a hobbyist for 10 years.. recently got some requests to do professional work. Did the license part, did my first real paid filming yesterday, with a mavic mini...

Spent all last night looking at water proof options.. I like the PowerEgg X, but something doesn't settle right with me about the company. Very few actual reviews with drone footage, cost, etc..

I am planning to do a TON of work that will involve flying over the water, sometimes in windy conditions, definitely in sea states with large swells (not breaking waves)...

Which model DJI would you go for if you were intending to make it suitable for landing on water? Yes I know I can insure it (and I will), but I would like to make this as easy as possible to recover and move on with the day. I did see the lifejacket option for the mini, but I am thinking that it may not have enough power to deal with higher winds.

On the flip side, I love the size and compactness of the mini, which is why I bought it in the first place...

I'd like to stay 1000 or under and do not mind buying used/reconditioned..

I have also owned a SwellPro waterproof drone and was VERY unimpressed with it, aside from its huge size.

Yesterday's flight was successful and as usual no issues due to prefight checks, etc... just would like to grab a 4k/60fps model that might lend itself to flying over the water..

Here are a few screen shots of the type of flying I plan to do... this was not a paid gig.
I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'd sure like to know what it is that you didn't like about the SwellPro because I've been thinking of buying one. If you don't want to answer here, you can write to me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Carlos

I'd sure like to know what it is that you didn't like about the SwellPro because I've been thinking of buying one.
It's 2015 technology in a drone that's big, it's heavy, it's slow and the camera is junk.
It's performance and specs are no match for more advanced and much better drones.
And the price for such a klunker is outrageous.

Last edited:
What are the downsides to going with the Mini 3 pro? Not asking because I am ignoring advice from you all. Wondering what puts the 2s or the Mavic 3 over the line of being better than the Mini 3 pro.. there are so many things to wrap your head around here.. I guess wind resistance with the wetsuits/water landing things attached are it? Looking for a little confirmation before hitting the buy button on a Air 2S
I would pass on the Air 2s if you want specifically 4k 60FPS. In that mode, it crops down from the 5k sensor meaning you don't get the full benefits of a 1" sensor and you will get a reduced FOV. Most Youtube tests put the flight time at <25 minutes even in favorable conditions; often <22 minutes. For example, 8 minutes to fly; 4 minutes to hover/photo/record; 8 minutes to return; leaving 2-5 minutes margin is tight.

The Mini 3 Pro gets knocked because its lighter. In practical use, it does bob around but the unless you are very close (like <20m) the gimbal clears it up. Better, I have found my heart in my mouth far less often with the plus battery when flying over water or somewhere else chancy. The IRL 35-40 minute flight time allows for much greater margin when performing RTH and discovering the wind has shifted against your path. For example, 8 minutes to fly; 4 minutes to hover/photo; 8 minutes to return; leaving 15-20 minutes margin.

Rain suit? Land on water? Buy DJI Care and put a small, neon colored float on it so you can recover it. The mechanics of something that can reliably and safely land on water in anything rougher than a bathtub seem unlikely.

Air 2s FOV:

Attachments

• 223550a0bd7dq1722zonp5.png
    223550a0bd7dq1722zonp5.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Mavic3/Air3/Mini 4, the default controller and the sun hood for the RCN-1 and any smartphone, use the extra money to get 2 more batts. With 3 batts and a PD powerbank you can basically fly all day long.

Don't put any extra weight on the drone, specially if it's windy. I'd recommend you learn to takeoff/land from the hand, or even do the grab and turn, which is not ideal, but can come in handy in rough conditions.

When taking off/landing from the hand, maintain the drone always above your head. YT is full of tutorials that keep the drone at their head level, which is the worst mistake you can do. Also disable OA bypass, which makes the drone fly unpredictably, and use brake mode instead.

Mavic3/Air3/Mini 4, the default controller and the sun hood for the RCN-1 and any smartphone, use the extra money to get 2 more batts. With 3 batts and a PD powerbank you can basically fly all day long.

Don't put any extra weight on the drone, specially if it's windy. I'd recommend you learn to takeoff/land from the hand, or even do the grab and turn, which is not ideal, but can come in handy in rough conditions.

When taking off/landing from the hand, maintain the drone always above your head. YT is full of tutorials that keep the drone at their head level, which is the worst mistake you can do. Also disable OA bypass, which makes the drone fly unpredictably, and use brake mode instead.
Do you have a recommendation for a PD powerbank that charges at a rate that will recharge our batteries in a reasonable time equivalent or close to the 65W (?) that is available from plugging in directly or using a 65W cigarette charger?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78