DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Going to Buy IOS phone or Ipad Mini Question

BladeRunner

Reactions
Hi,

I am looking to not go through all the potential problems with my Galaxy S9 and just get a used Ipad mini.

First, I don't need to have this be on a cellular network right? Just to use it as a display for flying. I assume I can update over wifi.

second, is there a model that I should buy or higher - Like should be Iphone 6 or higher.
Same question about Ipad Mini.

Thanks

Ipad mini 4 is the most popular, Iphone 6 still working fine for me. Cant speak for the older versions Iphone 7 plus works good too. I like flying the best with the full size Ipad air1 It seems to do just fine as well.
You do not need cellular, BUT there are certain GPS based functions that wont work with out it. Non cellular Ipads have no internal GPS.
Also when not connected to internet, it will not live update the map when flying. You can get around this by making your phone into a hotspot You can get the cell version and add service to your phone account for pretty cheap. I pay $10 month for the wifes ipad mini cell service.

The iPad Mini is an old device that is going to quickly approaching to point where you will no longer have smooth Go4 operation, which you can thank the horrible team over at DJI for not knowing how to properly program an app AND because the processor is just old. And the best part is that people want insane amounts of money for it, still. At this point, I wouldn't pay more than $150-200 for a Mini 4.
Buy yourself something newer, like the iPad 5th or 6th gen. Both are vastly superior devices in every respect other than not fitting in the holder.

Buying WiFi-only means you cannot use any of the tracking features that use the remote, and you cannot update your RTH location.

The way I understand it, the ipad mini 4 will be the last ipad mini. There will not be a new mini model (from what I have read) The full size ipads are great but you will need an additional mount to hold it comfortably There are several type choices so study that a bit.

The way I understand it, the ipad mini 4 will be the last ipad mini. There will not be a new mini model (from what I have read) The full size ipads are great but you will need an additional mount to hold it comfortably There are several type choices so study that a bit.
Knowing Apple, they may come with another mini. Look at the Apple mini computer, the last one was made in 2014. It is for sure now that they will introduce a new one now in 2018.

My iPad Mini 4 worked fine with my Mavic Pro I, but now that I have the Mavic Pro II, it is VERY laggy, even if the drone is right in front of me.

I put it in airplane mode before flying. I turned off video caching. I think the processor is just too slow for the huge new DJI GO 4 App to run smoothly. The display is even laggy if I'm just holding the drone in my hand, moving it back and forth. I guess I'll have to update to a newer 9.7" iPad.

If anyone has a solution to this problem, PLEASE let me know.

If anyone had a MP 2 PRO and a iPad MINI 4, and is having NO problems, please let me know. I'd like to compare setups and settings with you to try and figure out why I'm having problems with this iPad Mini 4. I just did a factory reset on it, and the only thing I've installed on it is the DJI GO 4 app.

Just throwing this out there for thought... I use an LG Aristo (Android) that I got for free from Metro PCS and works great with my M2Z. You could probably find a used one for next to nothing. No lag at all.

My iPad Mini 4 worked fine with my Mavic Pro I, but now that I have the Mavic Pro II, it is VERY laggy, even if the drone is right in front of me.

I put it in airplane mode before flying. I turned off video caching. I think the processor is just too slow for the huge new DJI GO 4 App to run smoothly. The display is even laggy if I'm just holding the drone in my hand, moving it back and forth. I guess I'll have to update to a newer 9.7" iPad.

If anyone has a solution to this problem, PLEASE let me know.

If anyone had a MP 2 PRO and a iPad MINI 4, and is having NO problems, please let me know. I'd like to compare setups and settings with you to try and figure out why I'm having problems with this iPad Mini 4. I just did a factory reset on it, and the only thing I've installed on it is the DJI GO 4 app.

Have you played with the transmission settings in the app?

I fly with an iPad 5th gen 9.7" - works great and incredible picture. It cost $249 back in April. I had a mini before that and returned it. You'll need a mount to attach the larger iPad... worth it.

Have you played with the transmission settings in the app?

I have not. Everything is set to AUTO, which is just the way I've always had it for the past 2 years and never had any problems before. I changed the HD transmission from the drone from HD to Normal, this not fix anything.

If I change the transmission from AUTO to MANUAL, what am I looking for to adjust? Any tips on how to manually configure transmission of video for a better signal?

I DID discover that when I changed my video quality from .265 back to .264, the video that was saving to the SD card got fixed. I'm using a brand new Samsung EVO Select 64GB SD card, and if I recorded in the .265 format, the video was laggy and jumpy and skipping and unwatchable. I changed back to the .264 format and everything looks fine (except the video transmission to my iPad Mini 4 - still jump/laggy/skipping). I've just used the NORMAL color format so far, because I haven't done any post-production color editing yet.

So what I am getting is that the Mini is going to have lag problems if I get the MP2 and Older Iphones there are problems. So I have New Galaxy 9. Does that put it back in the game, if comparing to Iphone 6 or Ipad Mini? I also have gen 2 Ipad..

So New Galaxy 9 that I have. Are there more than usual problems with that?

Last edited:
So what I am getting is that the Mini is going to have lag problems if I get the MP2 and Older Iphones there are problems. So I have New Galaxy 9. Does that put it back in the game, if comparing to Iphone 6 or Ipad Mini? I also have gen 2 Ipad..

So New Galaxy 9 that I have. Are there more than usual problems with that?
I guess there was one person that said his ipad mini didnt work, so you can put a lot of weight on that. With every device there are posts about not working right, what you dont see is the thousands of people using the same stuff with no problems.
There are posts both ways with the Galaxy 9. My take is if most of them work, and a few dont It is time to look at what the setup on the individual devices that dont work is. I bet you will be fine with whatever you decide But know that it isnt always automatic and most of the time (android especially) It takes some user setup to be problem free.
Apple just seems to work without tweaking any phone settings.

I guess there was one person that said his ipad mini didnt work, so you can put a lot of weight on that. With every device there are posts about not working right, what you dont see is the thousands of people using the same stuff with no problems.
There are posts both ways with the Galaxy 9. My take is if most of them work, and a few dont It is time to look at what the setup on the individual devices that dont work is. I bet you will be fine with whatever you decide But know that it isnt always automatic and most of the time (android especially) It takes some user setup to be problem free.
Apple just seems to work without tweaking any phone settings.

OK, great perspective. I will try with my S9 - Make tweaks per this: Install DJI GO on an Android Tablet or Phone (Step-by-Step Guide) - Phantom Help (unless there is a better one) and give it a go. I've been working flying daily for weeks with a cheap holystone to make sure I can fly manual when needed. I understand there is no way to be 100% protected, ( condom joke here).

Maybe I will find a cheap iphone 7 - but not worried.

Hi,

I am looking to not go through all the potential problems with my Galaxy S9 and just get a used Ipad mini.

First, I don't need to have this be on a cellular network right? Just to use it as a display for flying. I assume I can update over wifi.

second, is there a model that I should buy or higher - Like should be Iphone 6 or higher.

Thanks
I use both my Galaxy S9+ and my iPad Mini. Usually the mini. You do not need the cell network to fly, but I usually tether it to my phone so I get the proper imaging from Google Maps. The Latest iPad mini works well and on my Mavic Air, It fits in the controller without difficulty. They are fairly cheap too. $300ish.

I haven't had a problem with either device. I don't need to tweak anything. They just work. DJI Go, DJI Go 4, Litchi and Autopilot have all worked well on them. Well, Autopilot is iOS only, but I have flown a Phantom 3 Advanced, Spark and Air on both devices without any issues at all.

Hi,

Thanks
I just (last month) purchased a mini iPad 4 from best buy on sale and haven't had an issue yet. Flawless.
I do have a Samsung note 8 and haven't had any issues with that either but it's kinda sketchy for my mavic pro 1 because of everything I hear. However I feel as if I'm ontop of technology and keep both the phone and iPad (and my surface pro) completely clean and free of unnecessary processing hogs and crap ware and the such.. I CONSTANTLY REBOOT AND CLEAR CACHES.. This behavior will eliminate 99% of all problems.

Purchase an iPad mini 4 with confidence

I just (last month) purchased a mini iPad 4 from best buy on sale and haven't had an issue yet. Flawless.
I do have a Samsung note 8 and haven't had any issues with that either but it's kinda sketchy for my mavic pro 1 because of everything I hear. However I feel as if I'm ontop of technology and keep both the phone and iPad (and my surface pro) completely clean and free of unnecessary processing hogs and crap ware and the such.. I CONSTANTLY REBOOT AND CLEAR CACHES.. This behavior will eliminate 99% of all problems.

Purchase an iPad mini 4 with confidence
Same here. Hate bloat.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
The battery on my iPhone lasted about 15 minutes. I picked up a mini4 128gb for $130 from Walmart for my Mavic Air and it works fine. Nice screen size. Or splash out on a nice new IPhone Xs Max!

I would go with an iPad 6th gen. Not saying the iPad mini 4 is inferior but it’s coming to its end of life. Apple hasn’t released a new version in a couple of years now.

That’s the only reason I ended up going with an iPad 6th. I wanted something that’ll last me a couple of years before I have to upgrade to a new monitor.

I would go with an iPad 6th gen. Not saying the iPad mini 4 is inferior but it’s coming to its end of life. Apple hasn’t released a new version in a couple of years now.

That’s the only reason I ended up going with an iPad 6th. I wanted something that’ll last me a couple of years before I have to upgrade to a new monitor.
The current iPad is pretty long in the tooth. For me, it's more about size. The iPad Mini fits in the Mavic Pro/Air's controller without any adapters. One less thing to carry. You need an iPad mount to use the full size tablet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure