DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Going To Mexico with mavic pro, anything to know first?

Rockisy

Reactions
In a few weeks I will be traveling to Mexico by car and will be bringing my mavic pro along with me. Is there anything I should be aware of regarding new rules or regulations after crossing the border? Any insight appreciated. Thank you!

Don’t tell them you have it at the border unless they specifically ask or look and find it. Put it inside a suit case so it does not stand out. If they do ask or find it, take your original receipt with you as you will prob have to pay the 16% duty.

They will give you paperwork with s/n on it. You keep that with the drone for future trips.

Odds are low but it may happen, drones are not listed on the customs form as an allowable free import.

I fly to Mexico all the time with my drone and had to pay duty on about the 20th trip, now I have the paperwork.

Reactions: Rockisy
Don’t tell them you have it at the border unless they specifically ask or look and find it. Put it inside a suit case so it does not stand out. If they do ask or find it, take your original receipt with you as you will prob have to pay the 16% duty.

They will give you paperwork with s/n on it. You keep that with the drone for future trips.

Odds are low but it may happen, drones are not listed on the customs form as an allowable free import.

I fly to Mexico all the time with my drone and had to pay duty on about the 20th trip, now I have the paperwork.

thanks for the info!

I live in Cancun and brought my MP with me as carry on baggage. No problems at all. Here are some things to keep in mind. If your drone looks used or is over 6 months old you DO NOT need to have a receipt and there are no import duties. Duties are only assessed on new items. Second, if you are worried, make up an invoice that looks somewhat official (perhaps use Photoshop and work from an Ebay or Amazon invoice or just use Word to make a sales transaction receipt) and have the price below $600. You are permitted to bring in new stuff if the value is under $600. You can be seriously restricted in use around all the national marks, Mayan ruins, marine park areas, etc. Almost everywhere that drones are not permitted you will find appropriate signs and if you get caught using your drone it will be confiscated and never returned. Otherwise, I take my drone with me all over the country and never have a problem. Be sure after landing and getting settled that you calibrate your compass, IMU and make sure you have downloaded the latest firmware for both your drone and your software (iphone, DJI app, etc.)

I've taken my mavic to Mexico several times and flown it a LOT there.

My advice is: Don't drink the water.

yeah i have heard some scary stories of people getting diseases from drinking the water

I live in Cancun and brought my MP with me as carry on baggage. No problems at all. Here are some things to keep in mind. If your drone looks used or is over 6 months old you DO NOT need to have a receipt and there are no import duties. Duties are only assessed on new items. Second, if you are worried, make up an invoice that looks somewhat official (perhaps use Photoshop and work from an Ebay or Amazon invoice or just use Word to make a sales transaction receipt) and have the price below $600. You are permitted to bring in new stuff if the value is under $600. You can be seriously restricted in use around all the national marks, Mayan ruins, marine park areas, etc. Almost everywhere that drones are not permitted you will find appropriate signs and if you get caught using your drone it will be confiscated and never returned. Otherwise, I take my drone with me all over the country and never have a problem. Be sure after landing and getting settled that you calibrate your compass, IMU and make sure you have downloaded the latest firmware for both your drone and your software (iphone, DJI app, etc.)

thank you for the reply!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS