DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Going to to Japan

stevem1123

Reactions
I will be going to Japan in a few weeks and would like to bring my DJI mini pro 3 along. flying a drone in Japan requires getting a permit. I have downloaded the permit I am having trouble filling it out. It requires converting ones name to katakana "Enter “Family name” and “First name” in katakana with a two-byte or one-byte space between them.e.g. If the family name is コウクウ and the first name is タロウ, enter “コウクウ タロウ” or “コウクウ タロウ.”Also, enter long notes as vowels.If the family name is コウクウ and the first name is コーキ, enter “コウクウ コウキ” or “コウクウ コウキ.” It asks for my address and phone number in 2 byte characters. I converted the info to the best of my ability, yet after many attempts I was not successful in getting it submitted. Is there anyone who has experience with this? any help would be appreciated.

• Wow
Reactions: 4006448
Japan also requires the use of the lower capacity battery (1100mah, if memory serves). Whether this applies to mini 3 drones brought in by foreigners may be a question worth asking if you manage to decipher the registration process.

Hi Steve,
Any luck with this? I am also heading to Japan in a few weeks and have hit the same hurdle.
Hi Toni,

I did the online registration last week. The whole process from account creation>registration>approval>payment>completion took 2 days.

If you are registering it online, you will see this field 'Reading' asking for name in katakana format. It is not a compulsory field. I left it blank during account creation.

Once you have created an account, you will receive your Login ID to the email you entered.
go to this website: Drone/UAS Information Platform System 2.0
1. Log in with your ID and account
2. Scroll down to find 'Start the UA registration application' button and click it.
3. Scroll down to find 'New Registration' button and click it.
This will start the process. You might be asked to verify your account. Follow the instructions.
You will need:
- Passport (ID1)
- Another ID (ID2) you will be asked to upload a copy of it. Prepare a pdf of it. (something with address and name)
- Phone with camera (for the Know-your-customer (KYC) process)
- drone serial number, manufacturer and model.
- credit card for payment (¥1,450)

4. After submitting your application, wait for the approval and payment email.
5. When you received the email, log in with your ID and account again.
6. Scroll down to find 'Start the UA registration application' button and click it.
7. Scroll down to find 'Confirmation of the application status/withdraw/payment' button and click it.
8. Click the 'Payment' button to make the payment.
9. Wait for completion email/status in the account.

Hope this helps!

I read somewhere you will need to download the DIPS app on your phone after the registration is completed. You can log in and see the details of the drone that you have registered.

When you are in Japan, you will need to enter the Remote ID somewhere in the app. I am not able to provide detailed steps for this part as I have not try it yet. My trip to Japan is end of this year.

Hi Steve,
Any luck with this? I am also heading to Japan in a few weeks and have hit the same hurdle.
Hi PrintsbyToni,

Hi Steve,
Hey PrintsbyToni,
How'd your trip go to Japan? I was able to complete the DIP registration and payment. It's the next steps that seem to be confusing for recreational flight only. I leave in 5 days. It's not super clear how to get permission before you go to Japan after registration. How was customs, what were your next steps if you don't mind me asking?

Any tips?

I can't get past the katakana ? Any help leaving in 2 days for Japan and can't solve this over a week now trying

Hi Toni,

I did the online registration last week. The whole process from account creation>registration>approval>payment>completion took 2 days.

If you are registering it online, you will see this field 'Reading' asking for name in katakana format. It is not a compulsory field. I left it blank during account creation.

Once you have created an account, you will receive your Login ID to the email you entered.
go to this website: Drone/UAS Information Platform System 2.0
1. Log in with your ID and account
2. Scroll down to find 'Start the UA registration application' button and click it.
3. Scroll down to find 'New Registration' button and click it.
This will start the process. You might be asked to verify your account. Follow the instructions.
You will need:
- Passport (ID1)
- Another ID (ID2) you will be asked to upload a copy of it. Prepare a pdf of it. (something with address and name)
- Phone with camera (for the Know-your-customer (KYC) process)
- drone serial number, manufacturer and model.
- credit card for payment (¥1,450)

4. After submitting your application, wait for the approval and payment email.
5. When you received the email, log in with your ID and account again.
6. Scroll down to find 'Start the UA registration application' button and click it.
7. Scroll down to find 'Confirmation of the application status/withdraw/payment' button and click it.
8. Click the 'Payment' button to make the payment.
9. Wait for completion email/status in the account.

Hope this helps!

I read somewhere you will need to download the DIPS app on your phone after the registration is completed. You can log in and see the details of the drone that you have registered.

When you are in Japan, you will need to enter the Remote ID somewhere in the app. I am not able to provide detailed steps for this part as I have not try it yet. My trip to Japan is end of this year.
Joined just to say thank you on the steps.

Just came back from a trip where I took a Mini 2 (purchased in US). I took it only because I had read somewhere on another forum that certain US Mini 2s (I think built past a certain date) would be enabled for remote ID once the drone detected it was in Japan, so I took the chance.

Either way, here is what will happen once you are in Japan (going off screenshots I took as I did the process).

1. I powered on the controller and connected it to my phone. I also powered on the Mini 2.
2. I opened the DJI Fly app (US version), and it said the Remote Controller had a firmware update. I installed it.
3. Once updated, I now had an option for Remote ID -> "UAS Remote Identification" under the Safety section.
4. Tapping on that, it gave me the option to Import. Subtext says "Refresh or import your registration number and encryption key to the aircraft".
5. Tapping on the Import opens a window, giving you the option to "Log In to Japan Civil Aviation Bureau". It will list your aircraft SN, along with a Log In button.
6. Tapping log in, my next screenshot is a "Syncing..." popup.
7. Once finished, it looks like it goes back to "UAT Remote Identification" page in the DJI Fly app, and will show "Imported" in green.
8. I don't have a follow up screenshot, but I can see that if you then open the DIPS App, and log in with your DIPS login, you can check that your drone is listed (I think Home -> Write remote ID).

Some caveats:
- The DIPS app has an "Info" section at the bottom that seems to allow you to scan and retrieve a drone's remote ID. I tried to scan mine, but never got past the app scanning and showing "receiving...". I don't know if it was because I didn't wait long enough, if it knew my drone was the same as registered so it didn't pick it up, or if my drone was just not outputting anything.
- I don't 100% know if my Mini 2 was actually transmitting or not because of the above. In the hotel, even by the window, I could not get a GPS lock, so I wasn't sure if while registering, my drone ever "knew" it was in Japan.

Even when I went to fly out in the open, it was considerably slower in acquiring GPS lock. And, the times it did get a lock, it never prompted for any more firmware updates.

Maybe the process will be different for your guys with a Mini 3 (which does have built in remoteID capability). Because of the above, I didn't feel 100% comfortable flying too openly, but at least felt a little better having at least something showing my drone was registered and something saying "remote id" was showing as imported (in case I had any run-ins with authorities).

EDIT: To the question above asking about permissions and customs.

No issue with customs. I took the drone and batteries in my carryon/personal item.

I didn't submit any flight plans because I only flew in areas outside densely populated, under 150 meters, and away from any airport or active rescue scene, and at least 30 meters away from any person, vehicle, or building. If I understood their infographic correctly, that is considered recreational and doesn't need pre-approval (aside from having the drone registered).

This is what I'm referring to, section 2: Civil Aviation Bureau:Flight Rules for Unmanned Aircraft(Drones and Model Aircraft, etc.) - MLIT Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism

And here's the map to see they is considered densely populated areas: 地理院地図 / GSI Maps|国土地理院

However, there are two buttons in the DIPS app called "DIPS-FLT-PERMIT" to apply for flight permission, and "DIPS-FLT-PLAN" to notify of a flight plan. Those might be good places to start.

Last edited:
I did the same as you.
Joined just to say thank you on the steps.

Just came back from a trip where I took a Mini 2 (purchased in US). I took it only because I had read somewhere on another forum that certain US Mini 2s (I think built past a certain date) would be enabled for remote ID once the drone detected it was in Japan, so I took the chance.

Either way, here is what will happen once you are in Japan (going off screenshots I took as I did the process).

1. I powered on the controller and connected it to my phone. I also powered on the Mini 2.
2. I opened the DJI Fly app (US version), and it said the Remote Controller had a firmware update. I installed it.
3. Once updated, I now had an option for Remote ID -> "UAS Remote Identification" under the Safety section.
4. Tapping on that, it gave me the option to Import. Subtext says "Refresh or import your registration number and encryption key to the aircraft".
5. Tapping on the Import opens a window, giving you the option to "Log In to Japan Civil Aviation Bureau". It will list your aircraft SN, along with a Log In button.
6. Tapping log in, my next screenshot is a "Syncing..." popup.
7. Once finished, it looks like it goes back to "UAT Remote Identification" page in the DJI Fly app, and will show "Imported" in green.
8. I don't have a follow up screenshot, but I can see that if you then open the DIPS App, and log in with your DIPS login, you can check that your drone is listed (I think Home -> Write remote ID).

Some caveats:
- The DIPS app has an "Info" section at the bottom that seems to allow you to scan and retrieve a drone's remote ID. I tried to scan mine, but never got past the app scanning and showing "receiving...". I don't know if it was because I didn't wait long enough, if it knew my drone was the same as registered so it didn't pick it up, or if my drone was just not outputting anything.
- I don't 100% know if my Mini 2 was actually transmitting or not because of the above. In the hotel, even by the window, I could not get a GPS lock, so I wasn't sure if while registering, my drone ever "knew" it was in Japan.

Even when I went to fly out in the open, it was considerably slower in acquiring GPS lock. And, the times it did get a lock, it never prompted for any more firmware updates.

Maybe the process will be different for your guys with a Mini 3 (which does have built in remoteID capability). Because of the above, I didn't feel 100% comfortable flying too openly, but at least felt a little better having at least something showing my drone was registered and something saying "remote id" was showing as imported (in case I had any run-ins with authorities).

EDIT: To the question above asking about permissions and customs.

No issue with customs. I took the drone and batteries in my carryon/personal item.

I didn't submit any flight plans because I only flew in areas outside densely populated, under 150 meters, and away from any airport or active rescue scene, and at least 30 meters away from any person, vehicle, or building. If I understood their infographic correctly, that is considered recreational and doesn't need pre-approval (aside from having the drone registered).

This is what I'm referring to, section 2: Civil Aviation Bureau:Flight Rules for Unmanned Aircraft(Drones and Model Aircraft, etc.) - MLIT Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism

And here's the map to see they is considered densely populated areas: 地理院地図 / GSI Maps|国土地理院

However, there are two buttons in the DIPS app called "DIPS-FLT-PERMIT" to apply for flight permission, and "DIPS-FLT-PLAN" to notify of a flight plan. Those might be good places to start.
I have returned from japan 2 days ago.
I also flew in areas where approval and permission are not required. In those area, I approached the guards (if I see any present) to ask for permission verbally. All of them said yes, as long as the drone is registered.

I did submit the flight plan though.
The website will do an assessment when if permission or approval is required based on your flight criteria. After the assessment there is a button, 'file flight plan'. You can use the 'file flight plan' draw the area which your flight is taking place. The filing of flight plan seems to be just a system to reserve the air space you are flying and to inform others that a flight is taking place. No further approval confirmation required from DIPS if the area you drew is in permitted airspace.

I had no issues flying in Japan.

Reactions: Aerophile
I did the same as you.

I have returned from japan 2 days ago.
I also flew in areas where approval and permission are not required. In those area, I approached the guards (if I see any present) to ask for permission verbally. All of them said yes, as long as the drone is registered.

I did submit the flight plan though.
The website will do an assessment when if permission or approval is required based on your flight criteria. After the assessment there is a button, 'file flight plan'. You can use the 'file flight plan' draw the area which your flight is taking place. The filing of flight plan seems to be just a system to reserve the air space you are flying and to inform others that a flight is taking place. No further approval confirmation required from DIPS if the area you drew is in permitted airspace.

I had no issues flying in Japan.
Hi PinkNFurry, thanks for the guidance, much appreciated.
I'm also based in S'pore and will be visiting Japan next year Feb/March. I will be visiting Hokkaido, Kyoto, and Tokyo and also doing short trips to the surrounding areas of each city. It would be helpful if you could share which areas you were able to fly in where approval is not required.
And overall, did you find your flying experience to be smooth and without stress?
Thanks in advance !
PS: I'll be bringing my Mini 3 pro

Hi PinkNFurry, thanks for the guidance, much appreciated.
I'm also based in S'pore and will be visiting Japan next year Feb/March. I will be visiting Hokkaido, Kyoto, and Tokyo and also doing short trips to the surrounding areas of each city. It would be helpful if you could share which areas you were able to fly in where approval is not required.
And overall, did you find your flying experience to be smooth and without stress?
Thanks in advance !
PS: I'll be bringing my Mini 3 pro
Hello rwarrior!

The flying experience is smooth and without stress. Do look out for power lines when flying.
I have filed flight plans over the areas below.

Arashiyama, Kyoto - Managed to fly over Katsura River
Shirakawa, Takayama - Managed to fly from the observatory deck at a distance away from the village, I did asked for verbal approval from the staff there. Drones flight directly over Shirakawa village are not allowed and will need written approval.
Mt Fuji 5th Station - Did not fly at this spot because it was too cold for me.
Lake Kawaguchi - Visited on the same day as Mt Fuji 5th station. Did not fly as it was too cold.
Nara Park, Nara - This area is an open field far away from the deers and crowd. However, there was an event using the field, (I think it was a carnival) on the day when I visited. So, I did not proceed to fly.

It is also good if you can arrive at the places before 7am, before it gets crowded.

You will need written approval for all flights in Tokyo. The whole of Tokyo is a designated no-fly zone. I did not visit Hokkaido so I am not able to comment on this.

Feel free to reach out if you need more information. :D

Hello rwarrior!

The flying experience is smooth and without stress. Do look out for power lines when flying.
I have filed flight plans over the areas below.

Arashiyama, Kyoto - Managed to fly over Katsura River
Shirakawa, Takayama - Managed to fly from the observatory deck at a distance away from the village, I did asked for verbal approval from the staff there. Drones flight directly over Shirakawa village are not allowed and will need written approval.
Mt Fuji 5th Station - Did not fly at this spot because it was too cold for me.
Lake Kawaguchi - Visited on the same day as Mt Fuji 5th station. Did not fly as it was too cold.
Nara Park, Nara - This area is an open field far away from the deers and crowd. However, there was an event using the field, (I think it was a carnival) on the day when I visited. So, I did not proceed to fly.

It is also good if you can arrive at the places before 7am, before it gets crowded.

You will need written approval for all flights in Tokyo. The whole of Tokyo is a designated no-fly zone. I did not visit Hokkaido so I am not able to comment on this.

Feel free to reach out if you need more information. :D
Hi PinkNFurry,
Merry Christmas, and thanks so much for the detailed information, much appreciated!
I will make a note of these locations and hopefully will be able to fly there.
And also great to know that flying there is relatively stress-free...I'm quite relieved to know this.

I've got my Mini 3 Pro registered and the only outstanding part is the activation of Remote ID, to be done when I land in Japan.

Thanks again, and have a great festive season :)

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I am going to Japan (Kyushu) in May and I am hoping to fly my drone there. I will have some questions as I get deeper into learning about the requirements.

First questions are about interpreting the airspace maps (link here)...

I see lots of red, a lot of which is over densely-populated urban areas – big, obvious cities (eg Tokyo), plus smaller cities and towns. I assume Red=airspace is 100% closed to casual tourist drones (that is, flight in all red areas is simply prohibited, not merely limited to some low altitude)...correct? This makes sense, as I can't imagine it's legal to fly over central Tokyo....though I am surprised to see some "non-red holes" pretty close in to some parts of Tokyo (eg some spots west of Haneda Airport). Do I understand that flying is NOT prohibited if you could remain entirely within these non-red areas?

Of course there's also obvious airport approach/departure corridors and circular airspace, all depicted in green - but I am NOT going to assume that green means "sure, go ahead and fly your drone here" (common sense would say quite the opposite).

I am surprised to see that there's no "red" over Mt Fuji, given it's importance (is it not a national park?). I'm guessing the online map does not account for airspace restrictions in parks, natural reserves and other designated areas. True?

I note that a lot of highways are depicted in red. I assume this is just an (inherited) standard mapping convention for a class of highways, and these roads are not prohibited airspace (I would assume similar common-sense regulations exist about flying over moving vehicles: OK to momentarily cross over a road and vehicles, but don't fly over them continuously or hover there).

In my case, the areas I'm headed to (Kyushu, the large southern island), there are certainly cities and towns and red areas there, a half-dozen large airports plus another roughly half-dozen smaller ones. But plenty of non-red places to fly.

I have both a Mini 2 (no remote ID capability, AFAIK – mine's perfectly flyable, though I have not flown it since the Mini 3 pro was delivered); and I also a Mini 3 Pro (which is remote ID-capable, but I have not updated the firmware to enable that...). I'll only bring one, not sure yet which.

Thanks in advance for your patience, I will probably have a bunch of questions.

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I am going to Japan (Kyushu) in May and I am hoping to fly my drone there. I will have some questions as I get deeper into learning about the requirements.

First questions are about interpreting the airspace maps (link here)...

I see lots of red, a lot of which is over densely-populated urban areas – big, obvious cities (eg Tokyo), plus smaller cities and towns. I assume Red=airspace is 100% closed to casual tourist drones (that is, flight in all red areas is simply prohibited, not merely limited to some low altitude)...correct? This makes sense, as I can't imagine it's legal to fly over central Tokyo....though I am surprised to see some "non-red holes" pretty close in to some parts of Tokyo (eg some spots west of Haneda Airport). Do I understand that flying is NOT prohibited if you could remain entirely within these non-red areas?

Of course there's also obvious airport approach/departure corridors and circular airspace, all depicted in green - but I am NOT going to assume that green means "sure, go ahead and fly your drone here" (common sense would say quite the opposite).

I am surprised to see that there's no "red" over Mt Fuji, given it's importance (is it not a national park?). I'm guessing the online map does not account for airspace restrictions in parks, natural reserves and other designated areas. True?

I note that a lot of highways are depicted in red. I assume this is just an (inherited) standard mapping convention for a class of highways, and these roads are not prohibited airspace (I would assume similar common-sense regulations exist about flying over moving vehicles: OK to momentarily cross over a road and vehicles, but don't fly over them continuously or hover there).

In my case, the areas I'm headed to (Kyushu, the large southern island), there are certainly cities and towns and red areas there, a half-dozen large airports plus another roughly half-dozen smaller ones. But plenty of non-red places to fly.

I have both a Mini 2 (no remote ID capability, AFAIK – mine's perfectly flyable, though I have not flown it since the Mini 3 pro was delivered); and I also a Mini 3 Pro (which is remote ID-capable, but I have not updated the firmware to enable that...). I'll only bring one, not sure yet which.

Thanks in advance for your patience, I will probably have a bunch of questions.
Hi Aerophile,

Non-highlighted areas means you can fly. Recommend to look out for no drone signs though, as some of the areas could be privately own but open to public.
Green areas indicate 'Restricted surfaces such as airports'
The highways are in red. If you zoom in the map, you should be able to see difference between the flight restriction overlay and the highways color.

There are only 2 filter overlays, 'high population density' and 'airports and surrounding area' in the map link. It will be more accurate to use the map in the DIPS during the filing of flight plans. That map has more details regarding flight restriction. E.g. the map screenshot below shows Mt Fuji. There is no flight restriction indicated on Mt Fuji. But there are areas around Mt. Fuji which have flight restriction (those orange patches).

As for RID, my stand is 'if it is a requirement, I will comply.' I do not wish to get into trouble with the law while in another country.

1704420682449.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2