DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good Advice Wanted

whitlow

Reactions
Hello to all I'm new to the Air 2S will not have mine until next week. I was wondering if I could get some advice on general settings to get the most from pictures and videos. If I'm not looking to edit them and want to be able to use the zoom and have good pictures and videos. What would be the best settings for me? Also advise on getting into editing what type of software to start with? And learning more about it and picture and videos. Thanks

I'm not sure this qualifies as good advice, but since I don't see any other responses... My suggestion is start by flying with the default settings. For what I do, and I'm pretty new to the 2S, the out of the box settings work pretty well. View the results (after downloading - any preview you get in the app will be low-res). After giving it a try, if you have specific things you would like to improve, ask questions here. If you like what you see but want to know if it could be better, then experiment. Others can probably chime in with which things to experiment with first.

Read the manual, find the bits you do not understand or about which you are uncertain and make a note of them, then go away and do something else. Later come back and read those bits again and see it your understand them on the second or third or fourth read through.
If you remain uncertain ask questions.
When you get your hands on the drone remember you are a learner and not an ace. Practice low, slow and nearby first in a clear space.
EXPERIMENT with all the RTH scenarios for which you can devise a means of simulating, they can be quite complicated especially when various behaviours start to interact with one another.

On the photo side i would recommend trying out AEB (exposure bracketing) with 3 frames. You'll need an app to process the photos (i use lightroom personally, but there are other free options.

For the video, i've only just started with the 2s as well, so i'd say start flying and trying out the settings. I'd agree in following a few YouTube sources for some ideas, and also factor in your PC speed if you are editing. Full res video is great, but can murder your PC when it comes to an edit :)

As above, review any of the pertinent videos, etc on the DJI site, YouTube, etc.
Explore the "basics" of video and still image capture (not necessarily just drone but any photography) and that will give you an idea of what each "setting/option" will do to your images.
Get familiar with the drone and its operation before trying to jump down the "Rabbit Hole" of editing and the like.
You have to have a good handle on what you will get out of the camera on "auto" and what YOU want/expect from any captured images or video.
Get to learn how to access all the settings and then what they do and then tweak from there.
I often suggest that when using a new drone for the first time, instead of just launching it right away, turn it on and put it on a table or something and not start the props (or just remove them for this) and click on EVERYTHING in the app to see how to get the menus and options and what they do before you start flying!
Picture and video quality and look are highly personal and up to YOUR particular taste so there will never be a setting or group of settings that will work for everybody.
BTW, there isn't a Zoom for still images just video ( below 5K )

Air2 and Air2S "zoom" in video is touchy, esp in lower light conditions. You'll be restricted to 2X if you use 2.7 or 4k video modes. 1080p lets you use 4x, but only viable during daylight flying. 4x is not even great then, but dialing in 2-3x can help you get close to shots without the risk of impacting an obstacle - like trees / buildings / etc. Cloud cover is your friend when shooting anything as harsh bright sunlight is way less of an issue.

Drone photography is no different than land based. Using manual settings gives best overall results, but you tend to have to "find" that sweet spot during flight - which is short enough as it is. Auto can / does provide decent pics and you can change the exposure settings up or down depending on lighting conditions on the screen. You can use the "histogram" to help lower or raise your settings to get better photos / vids on the fly - but post processing is almost always needed to some degree. I use LightRoom and it works well for both pics and vids. Doesn't require a degree in using something like Photoshop which has more bells and whistles (much higher price too) than most people will ever use.

Best advice... don't crash. ;).

Hello to all I'm new to the Air 2S will not have mine until next week. I was wondering if I could get some advice on general settings to get the most from pictures and videos. If I'm not looking to edit them and want to be able to use the zoom and have good pictures and videos. What would be the best settings for me? Also advise on getting into editing what type of software to start with? And learning more about it and picture and videos. Thanks
YOU TUBE is filled with tons of videos for best settings for the Air 2S. Just go to You Tube, type in the search box best photographic settings, and then spend the next ten hours watching I like Here is a screen shot to get started.Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 12.44.02 PM.png

Reactions: PAW
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard