DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Good bye brave little drone , rest in peace

Mazdaman323lx

Reactions

Lost my Brave little Mavic air 2 today . Now lies in about 2 meters of water at low tide . No log analysis needed . Cause was OP Stupidity . Hope to rescue it tomorrow using long pole and some clothes hanger wire , unlikely as the tide will probably move it from where it now rests belly up , among the tangled wreckage of the ship . Be nice to get the the drone back as I have care refresh...... .

Ouch! Good luck.

What did all that steel do to the GPS count and compass?
Likewise the darkness to VPS?

Reactions: Rquirk
GPS count ? Ha , zero satellites , fully atti mode which I am used to , compass issues were a problem though .Not easy to recalibrated a drone compass inside a ship ! I had to fly into ship from outside a few times as I could not take off inside and fly out due to compass calibration needed errors . All part of the fun.
I had the aux light on so that did work with the vps as the deck showed up well underneath as there was only 4 feet above and below the drone in the ship

Lost my Brave little Mavic air 2 today . Now lies in about 2 meters of water at low tide . No log analysis needed . Cause was OP Stupidity . Hope to rescue it tomorrow using long pole and some clothes hanger wire , unlikely as the tide will probably move it from where it now rests belly up , among the tangled wreckage of the ship . Be nice to get the the drone back as I have care refresh...... .
There is something with Mini 2's - I fly a lot of drones but crashed only mini 2 and just as You did it purposefully - playing with fire so to speak - Wish You a fast recovery and soon will be with a new toy!

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
No that's the infamous MV ALTA or the ghost ship . Abandoned by its crew when it broke down it drifted unmanned for 2 years across the oceans , washing up in Ballycotton Ireland almost 2 years ago . Set on fire last year by angry farmer tired of gawkers trampling through his crops to access it . No plans to remove or salvage as the cost would be prohibitive

If you can’t find it, do what I did… offer it up for free to anyone who recovers it. Just post it’s last known location. @Made2Phly drove 1500 miles to find mine on the Peshekee River in the western UP. Lost a drone, gained a friend.

No that's the infamous MV ALTA or the ghost ship . Abandoned by its crew when it broke down it drifted unmanned for 2 years across the oceans , washing up in Ballycotton Ireland almost 2 years ago . Set on fire last year by angry farmer tired of gawkers trampling through his crops to access it . No plans to remove or salvage as the cost would be prohibitive

Poor farmer, can't blame him for getting a bit peeved.

Interesting history, Wiki says MV Alta is an abandoned merchant ship currently located in Ireland.
Seems like it'll always be located in Ireland :)

It was underway from Greece to Haiti, Oct 2016.
Interesting such a small ship for a merchant vessel . . . makes one think what they'd be taking to Haiti, or bringing back 🤔;)

The ship’s engines failed in the Atlantic Ocean, leaving the crew stranded. The US Coast Guard rescued the crew about 2,200 km (1,400 mi) south-east of Bermuda, and the ship was abandoned.

After her abandonment, the ship's next moves are uncertain.
An unverified report suggested that she was towed to Guana, and possibly hijacked, only to be abandoned a second time.
Regardless of what happened, the ship was next sighted by HMS Protector in August or September 2019, near Bermuda.
After this sighting, she likely continued to drift at very low speeds (right across the Atlantic !) before eventually arriving in Ireland.
The AIS (like remote ID / ADS-B for ships) was not functioning abandonment, making her course uncertain.

If you can’t find it, do what I did… offer it up for free to anyone who recovers it. Just post it’s last known location. @Made2Phly drove 1500 miles to find mine on the Peshekee River in the western UP. Lost a drone, gained a friend.
I remember that post from last year , that was a great thread, only difference is , my drone is toast , salt water and electrics don't mix . Doubt anyone will venture down to recover it .

I’ve seen many pilots attempt these thread-the-needle and other high risk/low value shots. Before filming any shot, risky or not, consider whether it really makes for an interesting shot in the first place. There are a variety of ways to film this particular scene. Great subject and locale, but use your batteries wisely by planning your moves ahead.

That said, last fall I descended my MA2 into a river. I was a bit distracted talking to my friend trying to set up for a shot and I was using my smartphone instead of a tablet, which I never do because I can’t read the tiny telemetry. The water was less than 5’ deep, so I walked out fully clothed and retrieved it. A day in the rice bag and it was fine except the battery was compromised. Salt water may not be as kind. Ironically, I only bought the MA2 because my M2P was in for repairs after a crash the previous weekend and I’d been waiting all year to fly this locale.

. @Made2Phly drove 1500 miles to find mine on the Peshekee River in the western UP. Lost a drone, gained a friend.
Quite seriously in the Mavic 2 Pro I recovered after a week in the sea not one internal component in the actual drone survived and I mean physical damage.
Much of the light weight metals used had corroded to mush, the frame that held all of the sensors at the rear of the drone no longer existed, it was stuck together mush. Many of the pop-up/press-down connectors had lifted off their boards, the ribbon cables delaminated and there was water marks and sand on the camera sensor. The bottom shell cover (metal) fell apart.
The only salvageable bits were the mSD card, the plastic parts of the shell, the motor arms (motors jammed rock solid and still are), the gimbal frame and its carrier, and the camera /body-shell/case.
It was really quite impressive how thoroughly everything had been destroyed.

I’ve seen many pilots attempt these thread-the-needle and other high risk/low value shots. Before filming any shot, risky or not, consider whether it really makes for an interesting shot in the first place. There are a variety of ways to film this particular scene. Great subject and locale, but use your batteries wisely by planning your moves ahead.

That said, last fall I descended my MA2 into a river. I was a bit distracted talking to my friend trying to set up for a shot and I was using my smartphone instead of a tablet, which I never do because I can’t read the tiny telemetry. The water was less than 5’ deep, so I walked out fully clothed and retrieved it. A day in the rice bag and it was fine except the battery was compromised. Salt water may not be as kind. Ironically, I only bought the MA2 because my M2P was in for repairs after a crash the previous weekend and I’d been waiting all year to fly this locale.
Gotta disagree with you on this one hammer , flying a done in thru a hole in a ship and down its interior is a very unique shot and would have been a high value shot to me if not for the mishap . Not something most sane people wouldn't attempt . I could give my drone controller to my wife , who can barely use the tv remote on a good day , and she could probably fly orbits of the wreck and get cinematic footage of it from the safety of 300 feet up , which is what most drone pilots do and is quite boring in my opinion .

Last edited:
I remember that post from last year , that was a great thread, only difference is , my drone is toast , salt water and electrics don't mix . Doubt anyone will venture down to recover it .
Good point! Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
Well, amazing shot tbh and being greedy is a must when you have a drone. Hope you got it by now....

My only question is it worth upgrading to MA2S since it's has more sensors and in these places will work well.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan