DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good editing laptop

thatguy0329

Reactions
Editing noob here.. Im trying to learn more about editing so i can show some decent footage to friends/family. My laptop can replay any footage ive got smoothly up to 2.7k but when I go to edit it on hitfilm it can't play anything smoothly past 720p.. Anything i could do to better the editing on my current setup or am i going to have to update my computer.. If updating my computer is the best plan does anyone have any good suggestions that arent going to break the bank

Reactions: jasonhere
If you say the videos run smooth on your current computer, why don't you try to change the editing software with a less resource-demanding one, and not the hardware you are editing with? Should be much cheaper to do so...

If you say the videos run smooth on your current computer, why don't you try to change the editing software with a less resource-demanding one, and not the hardware you are editing with? Should be much cheaper to do so...
I use the GoPro video editor. Works fine on a slower laptop

Reactions: thatguy0329
Eh hate GoPro software it always crashes on me.
I use premiere pro, definitely usefull expecislly if you go into color grading and luts

If your gonna be serious intovlike editing and possibly make it a profession then go into buying a good laptop.

I hate Apple so I'm windows all the way

I bought a msi ghost pro 4K laptop for about 1500$

Best thing ever spent
Keep in mind I do videography and many picture editing with Lightroom.

They make some decent gaming laptops for around 800$( yes gaming laptop) best way to simply buy. Gaming laptops are meant to play high end games with high resolution.... same for editing video and photo.

Mainly look into a i7, 8gb ram and a good video card!

I switched over to a trial of premiere pro and its running way smoother. But i noticed when i put different clips of footage together I can only go up to a 45 second video. I don't know if im doing something wrong or since its only a trial its only allowing me a certain limit

I switched over to a trial of premiere pro and its running way smoother. But i noticed when i put different clips of footage together I can only go up to a 45 second video. I don't know if im doing something wrong or since its only a trial its only allowing me a certain limit
Yea that's the trial version

RAM RAM RAM RAM.
SSD.
RAM RAM on the GPU.

And personally I think laptops just aren't built for it. The screens have less color range, the hard drives are slow, the boards have to throttle performance with any heat buildup. If you gotta go laptop, find an external 4K monitor at least.

RAM RAM RAM RAM.
SSD.
RAM RAM on the GPU.

And personally I think laptops just aren't built for it. The screens have less color range, the hard drives are slow, the boards have to throttle performance with any heat buildup. If you gotta go laptop, find an external 4K monitor at least.
Oh yea you can find some power houses believe me. My msi ghost pro 4K eats allll footage I throw at it. I do videography and my timeline has a good 40 4K files on it

Thankfully adobe released the 2017 version of premiere! Before all my wording and window size was tiny making it s pain to work... now with the update it's perfect I love my msi beast

I use Apple products only. Been doing broadcast work on the fly for the last 25 years. If u can try get ur hands on a MBP 13 inch. They are really good. Not many laptops can edit 4K files though so if ure main work load will be 4K u might have to spend some cash. I shoot 4K but then make Proxie files in FCPx and the machine handles its really well

Get something with a good Nvidia GPU. Premiere will offload tasks to the GPU and you will encode much faster. You can get a 1080 in a laptop now!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki