DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good news...bad news

prestonrich

Reactions
The good news first. From my 105’ high condo balcony, into a totally clear unobstructed horizon, my little MA2 actually made a trip some 27,744 before I had to abort and RTH. Starting out at a 200’ alt. I had to climb several times up toward to the 400’ ceiling after several LOS’s. With 50% battery remaining I started the RTH. That’s unfortunately the end of the good news.

The wind direction changed from a cross to more head-on over a reservoir about 3.5 miles out. I made it back to about a mile away when forced to land. I looked for a clearing on the map to safely land and found one on the Google map and emergency landed. I marked the GPS coords, did a “find my drone” and headed out to the site.

Problem was that, while the terrain showed clear on the Google map, it was fully wooded when I got there! Bottom line, drone lost. Couldn’t find it up in the trees along the flight path.

I’m a very unhappy x-drone owner. I know...join the club, right ?. I do have a three-yr DJI Fresh Care Replacement Policy, but it doesn’t support lost drones.

???????

Should have looked with your camera straight down. Is what I always did when I used to make distance runs and had to emergency land.
Hate you lost your drone and afraid your not going to like some of the responces‘s your going to get.
# 1 rule is if your going to fly illegally, don’t post it. ?‍♂️

I'm sorry for your loss.

How tall are the trees? We're not talking redwoods, right? Download the flight data and someone(@meta)...will likely be able pinpoint exactly where it is. I hope you are able to recover it.

You're are most certainly in the best place for advice and help.

Also, don't use "find my drone" until you are within earshot. It's a waste of battery otherwise and may attract unnecessary attention while you make the trip to your last known location.

The fly app should have it pretty well pinpointed.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I located the log on my iPhone:

DJIFlightRecord_2020-10-09_[16-07-48].txt

...downloaded AirData and copied the log file there. However all I see is a very short summary of the flight. How do I see the entire log so I can determine my landing site location, etc.?

You place it here so our magicians can do thier magic ?

With 50% battery remaining I started the RTH.
that rarely works if there is any wind at all. The headwind effects you longer than the tailwind helps you. With even the slightest tail/cross wind outbound..at 50% battery..you have reached never never land. :confused:
Hope you find your drone. with help from Meta, Bob and the other experts there is a really good chance that you'll find it.

Ok. Here is my raw .txt file attached:

I know from first hand experience that DJI can surprise you so what I would do is post your Video that was captured in the Cashe to DJI.
That along with the Log file and you may be in luck.

Its not always so Cut and Dry at DJI , worth giving it a shot . I had two fly aways that were replaced on my Phantom 4 because of the video and logs.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain

Sorry about the loss of your drone. I lost my Mavic Mini in a similar fashion; fly sideways into tall pine, didn’t fall to ground. I had to admit to myself that it was gone.
I’ll get another and be a better pilot. I’ll fly within “line of sight” and look for danger spots for carefully.

Again, I’m sorry for your loss. I hope you can get another drone.

The good news first. From my 105’ high condo balcony, into a totally clear unobstructed horizon, my little MA2 actually made a trip some 27,744 before I had to abort and RTH. Starting out at a 200’ alt. I had to climb several times up toward to the 400’ ceiling after several LOS’s. With 50% battery remaining I started the RTH. That’s unfortunately the end of the good news.

The wind direction changed from a cross to more head-on over a reservoir about 3.5 miles out. I made it back to about a mile away when forced to land. I looked for a clearing on the map to safely land and found one on the Google map and emergency landed. I marked the GPS coords, did a “find my drone” and headed out to the site.

Problem was that, while the terrain showed clear on the Google map, it was fully wooded when I got there! Bottom line, drone lost. Couldn’t find it up in the trees along the flight path.

I’m a very unhappy x-drone owner. I know...join the club, right ?. I do have a three-yr DJI Fresh Care Replacement Policy, but it doesn’t support lost drones.

???????

Unless you live on the top floor, it's a pretty bad idea to take off and land from balconies. A lot of ways it can go wrong and potentially damage your drone, or worse, hurt yourself or others. I have a balcony on the 15th floor, but I fly from the roof of my 30 storey apartment building, if I fly from home.

Obviously it was very reckless to fly to 50% battery on a range test unless you know the area perfectly well and know that you can access anywhere the drone might end up landing. When you are THAT far from home, you cannot predict the wind. Oh, it's clearly illegal in the US too...

Judging by how confused you were about how to find an emergency landing spot, it's clear that you didn't really research in advance about the functionality of the drone or have a plan about what to do if things go wrong. I don't understand the mentality of people who treat $800+ drones like toys. Its capability surely deserves some respect and patience before just flying off without a plan?

I don't mean to be mean-spirited and rub salt in your wound, but this sort of attitude to drones is what's gonna get us all grounded by legislation.

I am by no means an expert but hope to help you find and retrieve your lost drone. I uploaded your txt file to the DJI Flight Viewer and from what I see, if it were me, I would look around the area in the photo.

lostdrone.png

Reactions: monteolsen1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan