DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good training video for unlocking authorization zones etc

Raptorman

Reactions
I went out tonight to make a few flights and in two of the three areas I've flown at before I received a message on the Fly app that indicated I couldn't fly because I was in an authorization zone. I've never encountered this before and didn't know what to do so I packed up and moved to the second location which had the same warning. I then moved to a third location as it was almost sunset and was able to squeeze in a 12.5 minute flight.

OK, so I look around a bit on this and I have to say the info from DJI is terrible and I came away knowing less than before I went there so I'm asking if anyone ha pointers to some good videos that can get this figured out.

The DJI website has a map, but you can't zoom out very far so if you need to move a substantial distance you have to do a lot of panning -- are they using M$ Windows programmers or what? When I was finally able to pan to the area I had a problem with it indicated a "Temporary flight restrictions for Special Security Reasons" Start:Sun, 14 Jun 2020 22:10:00 GMT -- End:Thu, 01 Oct 2020 15:44:00 GMT

This is in the middle of no where and as I said before, I never encountered this before. In case someone what's to have a look, here is the lat/lon: 40.707907°, -112.684301°

Brian

I went out tonight to make a few flights and in two of the three areas I've flown at before I received a message on the Fly app that indicated I couldn't fly because I was in an authorization zone. I've never encountered this before and didn't know what to do so I packed up and moved to the second location which had the same warning. I then moved to a third location as it was almost sunset and was able to squeeze in a 12.5 minute flight.

OK, so I look around a bit on this and I have to say the info from DJI is terrible and I came away knowing less than before I went there so I'm asking if anyone ha pointers to some good videos that can get this figured out.

The DJI website has a map, but you can't zoom out very far so if you need to move a substantial distance you have to do a lot of panning -- are they using M$ Windows programmers or what? When I was finally able to pan to the area I had a problem with it indicated a "Temporary flight restrictions for Special Security Reasons" Start:Sun, 14 Jun 2020 22:10:00 GMT -- End:Thu, 01 Oct 2020 15:44:00 GMT

This is in the middle of no where and as I said before, I never encountered this before. In case someone what's to have a look, here is the lat/lon: 40.707907°, -112.684301°

Brian

Looks like a TFR for firefighting purposes. I suggest using the AirMap or Kittyhawk apps to better view airspace restrictions.

Screenshot_20200618-091315_Kittyhawk.jpg

I looked on AirMap and saw no indication of a TFR. Also, the DJI map shows several other similar areas north of the one I mentioned but not connected in anyway I can tell and with similar dates.

Brian

I looked on AirMap and saw no indication of a TFR. Also, the DJI map shows several other similar areas north of the one I mentioned but not connected in anyway I can tell and with similar dates.

Brian

Not uncommon for there to be multiple firefighting TFRs in that part of the country. Sometimes they are canceled and DJI doesn't remove them from their map though.

The most authoritative source for TFR information is the FAA themselves. You can check their TFR map and listing here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2