DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Goofy looking signal booster

barrybcar

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I just got the Smart Controller and it came with a "signal booster". It looks like a cylinder that hinges and has reflective material inside the cylinder. It attaches to the antennae.

It just looks goofy. Does it work? Is it needed?

It looks like something that just would take up space in my equipment bag.

Edit...Sorry...Range extender RANGE EXTENDER FOR DJI MAVIC 2 Smart Controller

It is a reflector, not truly a booster.
It makes the signal of the SC “stronger” by reflecting the signal that would have formed half of the signal into a direction as antenna are pointed. So essentially all of the SC transmission and reception become directional making the direction you aim it more critical. It likely does increase the effective range somewhat, but the utility is simply more signal at any range as long as you point it correctly at the drone.The SC is capable of providing adequate signal well beyond the legal flight range. The apparatus may be useful in areas where there is a lot of interference.

I do not have any experience with this brand, but several manufacturers use it on low cost signal boosters.

Personally, if there are no wires or soldered connections for the apparatus I would remove it, but others may have different opinions.

Reactions: barrybcar
I just got the Smart Controller and it came with a "signal booster". It looks like a cylinder that hinges and has reflective material inside the cylinder. It attaches to the antennae.

It just looks goofy. Does it work? Is it needed?

It looks like something that just would take up space in my equipment bag.

Edit...Sorry...Range extender RANGE EXTENDER FOR DJI MAVIC 2 Smart Controller
Your smart Controller is not so smart without a ATP PRO on the end. Highly reccomend.
Those reflector things were probably like "when you get candy, or a thankyou note" from vendors
on an eBay store. The thought it nice, but yeh...

Im sure taking apart your brand new smart controller is not a nice option.
But is worth it.
IMO $700 controller should come with a 'proper'
Boosted Antennae

Your smart Controller is not so smart without a ATP PRO on the end. Highly reccomend.
Those reflector things were probably like "when you get candy, or a thankyou note" from vendors
on an eBay store. The thought it nice, but yeh...

This is one I used also. I consider it one of, if not ”the” best signal booster. It gave me about 16Dbi signal. It is a mildly complex job the install, but works well and has quick detach capability for storing and set up. I sold mine however.

Reactions: MavicFT1P
This is one I used also. I consider it one of, if not ”the” best signal booster. It gave me about 16Dbi signal. It is a mildly complex job the install, but works well and has quick detach capability for storing and set up. I sold mine however.

I agree hands down best for range and form factor.

II sold yours? You sold your ATech or your SC?

I have the 2.4 ATP but i told it will work with Mavic 2

I agree hands down best for range and form factor.

II sold yours? You sold your ATech or your SC?

I have the 2.4 ATP but i told it will work with Mavic 2
Sold the ATech... it served me no practical use. Also sold one I had NIB. Personally won’t be looking back. Just me. The product is solid, but I hated the month long wait to get it from China.

Don’t have an SC... use a CS. When DJI makes a 7.85 SC I’ll be all over it as long as range is good. I have 4-5 bars signal strength on the CS to 2-3 miles depending on conditions... Tested in remote Arizona desert, as I fondly beyond VLOS.

A lot of ppl have had trouble with post time. I got mine under 10 days, with updates. But I hear US has them in customs
longer sometimes, because its a 'radio device'?

Dunno. Maybe i got lucky. They are friendly enough by email until they get paid.
I didn't get a reply from them after that though. Spare battery queries and such

In Contrast, Their Controller mod videos are excellent.
Probably to avoid getting/translating emails lol

The only regretting purchasers of ATech ive noticed, have been those getting 5.8ghz models and complaing range because they
havn't switched band/channel in settings...I assume they eventually do and are happy

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka