DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Google’s Wing warns new drone laws ‘may have unintended consequences’ for privacy

franklinskite

Reactions
Google’s Wing warns new drone laws ‘may have unintended consequences’ for privacy

‘The FAA’s decision to have drones broadcast their location might let observers track your movements, figuring out where you go, where you live, and where and when you receive packages, among other examples.

“American communities would not accept this type of surveillance of their deliveries or taxi trips on the road. They should not accept it in the sky,” Wing argues.

With that kind of language, you might think Wing is arguing that drones shouldn’t broadcast their location, yes? Amusingly, no: the Alphabet subsidiary just wishes they’d send it through the internet instead of broadcasting it locally.’

‘The FAA’s decision to have drones broadcast their location might let observers track your movements, figuring out where you go, where you live, and where and when you receive packages, among other examples.

“American communities would not accept this type of surveillance of their deliveries or taxi trips on the road. They should not accept it in the sky,” Wing argues.

With that kind of language, you might think Wing is arguing that drones shouldn’t broadcast their location, yes? Amusingly, no: the Alphabet subsidiary just wishes they’d send it through the internet instead of broadcasting it locally.’
More directly, Google wants every drone owner to have to pay a subscription fee (to them) for the privilege of broadcasting their whereabouts.

What I object to with these new rules is that not only MY location is broadcast, but in concert does not restrict those,, both authorities and civilians, who may be able to access it and locate me for whatever purposes, legitimate or otherwise. One of the unintended consequences of such a law potentially will, once instituted, have individuals taking security measures that they may not have considered prior.

Alphabet is mad because they didn't get the internet connection they wanted in the RID Final Rule.

They'll get over it.

Both Google and Facebook already Know when and where I fly my drone. Dont know how, I dont upload flightlogs and my drone doesnt surf the web, but Google does have alot of satilites and Facebook buys and sells your info. They literaly have a flight log on me. You can review, download and delete your files from the Facebook data base

Both Google and Facebook already Know when and where I fly my drone. Dont know how, I dont upload flightlogs and my drone doesnt surf the web, but Google does have alot of satilites and Facebook buys and sells your info. They literaly have a flight log on me. You can review, download and delete your files from the Facebook data base
They track your phone ... not your drone.
And not just when you're flying.

They track your phone ... not your drone.
And not just when you're flying.
Of course they do. Not much you can do about that. But the new rules allow Joe Dronehunter or LaVicious Gangbanger to know where you are standing when you fly with the software which will be readily available to all. And there you are, with both hands occupied, face in the air or immersed in your screen, unable to provide even a basic defense paying more attention to your drone's flight than situational awareness. It might be tough for someone to steal your drone if it's in the air, but you're cell phone advertises that it is available to steal once they blind side you onto the ground. And let's face it, our situational awareness is greatly diminished with our drone in the air, splitting our attention between VLOS and the controller screen.

Of course they do. Not much you can do about that. But the new rules allow Joe Dronehunter or LaVicious Gangbanger to know where you are standing when you fly with the software which will be readily available to all. And there you are, with both hands occupied, face in the air or immersed in your screen, unable to provide even a basic defense paying more attention to your drone's flight than situational awareness. It might be tough for someone to steal your drone if it's in the air, but you're cell phone advertises that it is available to steal once they blind side you onto the ground. And let's face it, our situational awareness is greatly diminished with our drone in the air, splitting our attention between VLOS and the controller screen.

This is pretty silly. I can think of some valid concerns about the new rules, but getting blindsided by a physical attack while flying a drone seems far less likely to happen than it happening while simply looking at your phone. And your video had nothing to do at all with flying a drone ... which kind of proves my point.

Reactions: MARK (LI) and Meta4

I agreed with everything till the last line

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22