DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Google Earth Preflight

Rchawks

Reactions
As of late I've been at a loss trying to find new places to fly from. Then it occured to me to download the google app to help with scouting out places I might consider. I used it back in the day but the app seems so much better with more features than what I remember. This way saves a lot of time and effort for me to see from the air and street view what the conditions might be, granted it's not in real time and the first thing I checked to see if the new Aldis has been built yet and it hasn't. Still it does give a preview of sorts. I know I'm not the only one using this for this purpose, I also like the RTH function it has, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gindra
I do this all the time. Near me there is a sand mining operation that is only accessible by a road for large trucks to enter and exit the mine. There is a gate of sorts so you cannot just drive in there. But on Google Earth I can see there are a few 4WD tracks that skirt the mine. I now where a couple of these tracks cross public roads so I know how I can now access these 4WD tracks to get a position near the mine where I can take off from to do some filming.

I also use the measure tool in Google Earth to measure distances so I know where I can base myself and fly say within a couple of KM's to get the best footage without exceeding the Mavic's range.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3