DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Googles MUCH slower with MSD card from drone inserted.

Tinmania

Reactions
I have only had my goggles a few days but my first flight didn't go as expected. The video in the goggles stuttered, outright froze, or even cut out for a second or two at a time. I posted about this in another thread and indeed there seemed to be an issue of mismatched firmware. Fixed that and next flight went fine.

But I realized that when I took my first flight, with all the jerkiness and pauses, that I had a MSD card in the goggles. This was the original 16GB lexar card that came with my Mavic, and it had some footage on it (wanted to play on goggles locally). The next flight I didn't have any card in the goggles.

Just now I took my new 64GB sandisk extreme card that I used today for footage with the mavic and put it in the goggles. Whoa!!! For starters I swear it took a lot longer for the goggles to even boot up to the main screen (drone off). So I compared booting up with the 64GB card and without. The difference was drastic: 15 seconds with no card and 30 seconds with. Worse, with the card inserted the Googles didn't respond to input when it finally displayed the main screen. Swiping the touchpad sounded like usual, with the beeps and whatnot, but nothing happened on screen. Then, as if all my swipes were queued, it quickly acted on them (weird).
Also, I can just about forget trying to view local videos that were on that 64GB card when the goggles finally got around to booting up and being functional: it took forever to show the thumbnails when in the photo/video viewer mode. The 16gb Lexar card that came with the Mavic didn't slow down the Goggles as much, and that is a slower card. It just had less data on it for the goggles to process (no idea what is doing with photos and video on bootup).

At this point I am thinking perhaps it was leaving the card in the goggles during that first flight that caused the goggles to act so poorly. Indeed it happened before range should have even been a factor (nor did the stuttering get worse when I went further out). The whole flight was no more than 1/5 mile.

Has anyone here seen anything like this with their dji goggles? Specifically, this seems to happen with a msd card that was used on the mavic (and presumably other dji drones) that was then inserted into the goggles before powering on. The more images and videos on the card, the slower the goggles boot up, at least with my goggles.

For reference I don't see any delay on the mavic using the same card. Indeed I can view "Aircraft Storage" wirelessly from the mavic's msd card, to the goggles, faster than the goggles does when the same card is inserted into the googles themselves and choosing "Local Storage." Maybe something is up with my goggles' card slot?

Mike

Reactions: Almanzor
One of these days I've got to open that manual. Wasn't even aware the goggles had a card slot till i read your post and gave mine a try. I have a 64g PNY prime performance card from walmart and the boot time is the same with or without card inserted.

I read several posts before getting my card and the only deriding factor other than size was the read/write speed, of which were only two it seemed.

not much help im sure but ive never flown with my card in the goggles. I'll try that and if I see a difference I'll post it.

It is not just the card that is slowing it down: it is the content. My 64GB card was 80% full, with a lot of videos and images. Same for the 16GB card. Both were populated by my Mavic Pro during flight.

Putting in either of the same two cards when they are empty doesn't affect my goggles' boot time. Also, viewing content under Local Storage was crazy long wait with the 64GB card (80% full).

Mike

Something else I noticed is that the dji Goggles seem to have added a bunch of folders and files to the micro sd card. My Mavic Pro dumps its images and video to DCIM\100MEDIA on the msd card. Pretty simple.

But my dji Goggles has seemingly created a bunch of folders: DJI_ALBUM, DJI_PANO, DJI_PHOTO, DJI_SCREEN_CAPTURE, DJI_VIDEO, and USER_VIDEO. There are subfolders in all of these. I can see new thumbnail jpgs in some of the sub-folders. It is like the goggles are activly processing anything on the sd card and creating thumbnails.

This is on latest firmware. Oddly, some of this stuff I only see mentioned regarding the RE goggles. Color me confused.

Mike

Why are you flying with the card in the Goggles? I've never ever done that. It is just there for playing a movie or something you have recorded. It might mess it up in flight? Take it out!

Why are you flying with the card in the Goggles? I've never ever done that. It is just there for playing a movie or something you have recorded. It might mess it up in flight? Take it out!
I saw nothing in the manual that says you aren’t supposed to fly with a card in the goggles. Where did you see that?

Moreover, when I formatted a card in the goggles it specifically warned me that formatting would erase not just files but goggles settings too. The folders that the goggles added to the card seem to confirm this.

Regardless, I only flew the one flight with a card. It Is still disturbing that a simple memory card that my Mavic handles with ease brought my goggles to its knees. Ergo, a potential warning to others.

Mike

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2434Rose