DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GoPro Hero Plus, no LCD screen

thebigbaddan

Reactions
I grabbed this Woot offer this morning for $55: Hero Plus with wifi but no LCD screen: GoPro HERO+ (Wi-Fi Enabled)

It doesn't have the LCD screen... and the website showed the one with a screen when I ordered, so they sent me a note that I can cancel the order.

I don't have a Go Pro... I do have a Sony Alpha camera, my phone, and my drone. I'm not entirely sure how great Go Pros are or not, I was thinking I could use it for snowboarding video with my kids. So should I cancel the order, because this one doesn't have a screen? Or do I nor really need it on a GoPro?

Anyone here have experience with GoPro? Is the screen a big deal or no?

Really depends. I like the feedback that I get from my rear screen on my action camera. Tells me things like how much recording space I have left on SD card. Also if I am filming or not. Without the screen you are forced to install the GoPro app on your phone and connect to the Go Pro to determine these key factors.

Do you need the screen for seeing things like what footage you're taking? I thought for the most part I would hold the camera to take video of my kids snowboarding, without having to take my snowboarding gloves off. I'm not the type of guy who needs it mounted to my helmet or on a selfie stick... I just want to capture my kids. So do you use the screen for filming, or not really?

Thanks!

I have a Go Pro knock off. It has a rear LCD screen and comes with a wrist mounted remote. Very handy to see what the camera sees and frame the shot. Then just press the remote to either snap a picture or start recording a video.
Its made by Akaso -its model AK7000 . Takes 4 video and 12 megapixel photos!!!

Here are some on ebay akaso ek7000 | eBay

Do you need the screen for seeing things like what footage you're taking? I thought for the most part I would hold the camera to take video of my kids snowboarding, without having to take my snowboarding gloves off. I'm not the type of guy who needs it mounted to my helmet or on a selfie stick... I just want to capture my kids. So do you use the screen for filming, or not really?

Thanks!
You can also use the GoPro app to view the live stream from the camera. Its not the best quality uplink, but it at least shows you what you're capturing.

Thanks! That knock off looks better than the Woot one with no screen at roughly the same price... will cancel my Woot order and maybe pick that one up.

Thanks for the info, peeps.

Careful. Knock offs are usually a waste of money. I have €60 knock off that does 4k and 12mp photos and it's rubbish. No image stabilisation, contrast sucks and photos are terrible. I use it just as a dash cam now so I'm not out of pocket.

Check out the Yi range, they've had some excellent reviews lately - they start at reasonable prices and the critics call them the one that GoPro needs to watch out for. They're on my shopping list anyway!

Careful. Knock offs are usually a waste of money. I have €60 knock off that does 4k and 12mp photos and it's rubbish. No image stabilisation, contrast sucks and photos are terrible. I use it just as a dash cam now so I'm not out of pocket.

Check out the Yi range, they've had some excellent reviews lately - they start at reasonable prices and the critics call them the one that GoPro needs to watch out for. They're on my shopping list anyway!
A few months back, I went through several knock-offs, including the Yi 4K. All of them were, as you said, "rubbish." The image quality on all of them suffered from the watercolor effect, blur, blown-out whites and bad focus. Most of them boast about having a Sony sensor, but I think someone is dumpster-diving the sensors that didn't pass quality control. I couldn't figure out how any of them received such good reviews. So, be careful when reading the reviews. They are probably from folks buying their first action camera - who just don't know the difference. I ended up with a Hero5 Session, which suffers from grainy images, even at 100 ISO, but it does what I need. I mount it on top of the Mavic to fill in the sky on 360 panos.

To the OP, I've used the Hero3+ Black, with no back screen. It came with my Phantom 2. Because they shoot in very wide angle, they'll capture whatever they're aimed at - and then some. But having the screen gives you a real advantage.

I agree! My knock off works pretty well although there is no image stabilization. At the price point I was not expecting that anyway. Do your homework for sure and if you buy off Amazon there is an easy return process.

Here is a sample video from last ski season @ Heavenly. The video is taken with the Akaso EK7000 mounted to a Go Pro Baseball Hat Clip. You can see that the image quality is more than passable and does suffer from bumps and jolts on the slopes.

I converted from .mov to .mp4 so there is compression being uses. Then uploaded to Vimeo. No editing or color correction / processing.

Last edited:
You can use your phone to see the video feed, via wifi.

Your battery also, will last more, without the back screen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000