DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GoPro Karma 2017 Reviewed.

This is a great and honest video. Enjoy watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Parman
Wow Interesting video, it does not bode well for Karma. I just believe Karma pushed out their drone to soon. Not in the same league with DJI IMO.

Reactions: TJT
Yea, it will always be terrible. It's so much more than a drone. It's a piece of crap.

It better be more than a drone because it's not good at being a drone and for that matter....

Reactions: Bad Drone
I feel sorry for GoPro, this brings back terrible memories of the 1980's when it became obvious to everyone that the Japanese companies made better cars than American car companies.
I cannot imagine how crushing it must be to be a GoPro employee to try and sell a Karma to anybody. How do you motivate yourself to sell much less buy a Karma?

The part of that video that scared me the most was the sudden battery power drop. How do you plan out a flight if 30% of the way there the drone suddenly does not have enough power to even return home!

Sad, real Sad..

Reactions: larryp
Karma wouldn't even cross my mind when considering a drone. And when the Mavic V Karma topic first started months back, it never crossed my mind then either

Agree with your example, but there is no reason for it except the greed of profit over all else like investment in engineering and manufacturing improvements to continue to compete aggressively. Let's face it, in the case of go pro, it's all built in China so manufacturing labor rates are not the differentiator. Enough on that. I heard the short story is GoPro tried to lock DJI into using their cameras back in the Phantom 2 days and this was supposed to be the "Karma" of GoPro dishing DJI back for not taking the teaming agreement. Someone will buy GoPro ip in the next year if it's still worth something.

Oh.

My.

God.

I hate that guy's accent. I hate that guy's smarmy vlogging attitude. I was looking at the video length and thinking I wouldn't make it a tenth of the way through it.

But **** if he didn't hit it spot on, every minute through the video, with real flaws and really insightful feedback on what GoPro should have done but didn't. And still doesn't. And I had to laugh at a couple of his jokes because they weren't low-blow unfair criticisms but they were ON POINT.

"Stop calling it a Karma Coffin." "Why is the handle on the wrong side of the case?"

Reactions: stuffonastick
At $1100 for a Karma with camera I predict GoPro will pull this off the market in 3 months.
It's not even a close battle, this is like giving a buyer a choice between a Yugo or a Porsche for the same price.

Rob

The last 2 min or so are hilarious [emoji23]

Casted from my throne using Tapatalk

That was an excellent video test. I laughed and I was informed! Perfect.
Thanks!

Reactions: lucky4meman
Karma "Co Pilot app" is maybe the only area that gives the Karma a leg up on the Mavic. In his video I get the feeling that it's more of a "support the Karma in the hopes that they bring competition later down the road". If I was a rich man or a Drone blogger I might do that.

Reactions: The Flying Geko
Karma "Co Pilot app" is maybe the only area that gives the Karma a leg up on the Mavic. In his video I get the feeling that it's more of a "support the Karma in the hopes that they bring competition later down the road". If I was a rich man or a Drone blogger I might do that.
My Mavic is sitting in its shipping box in my office ( (delivered yesterday) and I won't get my hands on it till tomorrow afternoon. Speaking purely on my perception of the mountain of videos and reviews I've read. Sounds like the Mavic is king of the hill. Or the P4pro is better but it's so big. There was the app, which sounds pretty good, the removable gimbal sounds great, and buying parts yourself for repair also sounds good.

I don't know if he works for dji but he is a mouthpiece for them. He does bring up some good points but leaves some others out. The mavic and karma are both beta platforms - neither are ready for prime time.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I don't know if he works for dji but he is a mouthpiece for them. He does bring up some good points but leaves some others out. The mavic and karma are both beta platforms - neither are ready for prime time.

I won't disagree that they are both beta platforms, but come on Karma is not even in the same ballpark; and are hardly even playing ball. Anyone with a bit of FPV quad building experience could buy parts now on the open market and build a quad as good as if not better then what the Karma offers. It is absolutely nothing special. They didn't even include a downward ultrasonic sensor or a downward pattern sensor which has been part of ardupilot and available to anyone with a couple dollars since the beginning years ago. Couldn't they at least attempt to innovate to compete?

Fwiw - karma was the fist ultra portable drone on the market. And it's a system for go pro users. It's purpose is completely different than the karma. It's meant to fit into an existing workflow. Is it simple - yes. In some places that makes it a more elegant solution. Not as much stuff to go wrong. It's also their first product - hopefully they are able to come out with a v2 or more! We need the competition.

If you look at the problems people are having with the mavic this might justify the simplicity. Mavic was rushed into production and by looking at all the issues, many are starting to worry that they made a $1300 mistake. The sensors are wonky, the app(s) is now in its 3rd iteration. The gps and compass are having a lot of issues,the gimbal is flimsy and the camera is a quality control nightmare.

My original point is that neither system is what we want it to be and the way the market is - I doubt we get that all in one, ultra portable, mega duration drone for a long time.

Reactions: vashon100
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22