DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GoPro Recalling the Karma

Doubtful, but who knows. I would be surprised if we ever really know.

DJI really dealt GoPro a one two knockout punch. Karma was never really attractive side by side with the Mavic. Plus there is that backpack that made it look even bulkier for transport.

DJI is a market leading specialized developer and manufacturer of drones for a reason. They innovate.

Potentially waiting 2+ months for the Mavic doesn't seem so bad now, am I right? [emoji29]

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Potentially waiting 2+ months for the Mavic doesn't seem so bad now, am I right? [emoji29]

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Based on what my sources say. Over 1 million mavics have been pre ordered to date. The drone has major demand. Those that have ordered before Sept 30th 2016 will most likely receive their Mavics before the end of the year. Anything after that, well no one knows.

Gopro is eventually going to go the way of Blackberry if they dont hurry up and partner or sell to someone. What else are they going to add to the Hero 5 successor to make people want to buy another one?

That's their fundamental problem. They needed a new market, the drone market would have been perfect for them. What they really needed was a slam duck, ie Mavic. Putting out something behind in technology was already an issue. Having it recalled is just a disaster.

Gopro is eventually going to go the way of Blackberry if they dont hurry up and partner or sell to someone. What else are they going to add to the Hero 5 successor to make people want to buy another one?
The Hero5 is the end of their product stream, that is why they were trying to branch out into drones, and we see how that ended up. What else can they stick onto the hero5 to make people want it?

The Hero5 may be a great action camera, but I don't know that it's demonstrably better than the Hero4 so it's anything but certain than a large percentage of users will upgrade to the 5. For users with older models like my Hero3 there is the 4K thing, but if you didn't jump on the 4 you probably held off on cost versus performance. This is where the Chinese knockoffs are eating there lunch.

The Hero5 is a terrible choice for a drone camera as its WAY TOO WIDE for an elevated perch like a drone. The horrible curved horizon just doesn't cut it unless you completely avoid any sky in the FOV.

I said this a while back and got dumped on for it, but GoPro could be no more within a couple years ala Blackberry.

Brian

What sources?
Being a authorized Dealer, I have numbers. And that's it. The Brick and Morter stores will have much of the rain on most. Current Mavic pre orders thru DJI are being shipped in between as manufacturing continues.
DJI has a long way to go. Remember, these aircraft are not totally built by automation. More than half of the aircraft is built by the hand of human workers. There is still plenty of training on building the MP as DJI moves the product out and to you. Please be patient folks!
I expect the quality control to be very precise for the most part, however only time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rene van der Meer
It's not a good year for GoPro.... First their drone gets outclassed by the Mavic and now Sony's new action cam might do the same for the hero5 lineup..

True optical stabilization and better lowlight performance.
Here's a couple of vids I did showing a quick comparison between the 2. The Sony makes it look like you its on a gimbal lol

I think the DJI-spy working at GoPro is going to be shot or who ever is working as DJI's intelligence officer. DJI may have shot themselves in the foot by over-reacting to ill-informed rumours. Or maybe Frank Wang just wants to brutally kill his old buddy just for kicks.
I also think the Mavic Pros are marketed way too cheap, so much that it eats into the phantom and the inspire lines. They should have waited another 6months and they could have sold it for an extra $200 USD and the masses still would of queued. I wonder what's the margin on a Mavic Pro??

Nice comparison videos! I like the Sony color better and the stabilization actually works. Posts are straight in Sony and look curved in GoPro.

I also think the Mavic Pros are marketed way too cheap, so much that it eats into the phantom and the inspire lines. They should have waited another 6months and they could have sold it for an extra $200 USD and the masses still would of queued. I wonder what's the margin on a Mavic Pro??
I agree with you, although from past comments I've seen here we might be in the minority lol. And I don't really get why. The Mavic is simply a better option than the phantom 4, and cheaper!

Reactions: 4wd
Nice comparison videos! I like the Sony color better and the stabilization actually works. Posts are straight in Sony and look curved in GoPro.
To be fair, the first runs with the gopro had protune on (gopro's "log" setting). There was no way of turning it off without using the phone app and I didn't have my phone. The last part of the 1st vid shows the gopro with protune off. I do wish the sony had different levels of "vivid" and some of the custom controls that DJI uses on their drones. Maybe DJI needs to get into the action cam market lol.

The Mavic is going to sell in numbers way more than the Phantom 4 so economies of scale favor a lower cost. And, killing off GoPro is job one and DJI is right on target to do that. Add in the Karma recall and we could easily see GoPro cease to exist within a couple years.

I'm not a fan of the vivid settings on the Sony. I'm not sure what other options there are but vivid sucks in my book. The Sony is clearly superior with image stabilization and also in low light conditions. What's the FOV angle on the Sony versus the Hero5?

Brian

Reactions: Jayfly
I think the Karma recall will just push up the resale value of the early Mavic flyers ...... im sure over the next few weeks we will see even higher private sale prices ..... I wonder what an unopened Mavic Combo pack will sell for in December ...

If DJI has sold 'millions' or even tens of thousands vs the 2500 for the Karma it is clear that the pricing strategy is a winner. High value, reasonable cost, tremendous innovation = tons of sales. No brainer. They make their margin on quantities and take the pole position for technology. Look at all the controversy and traffic generated in the forums and on the web about what/how they are doing it. Well done and quite intentional. Sure, did they upset a lot of people taking full payment with no delivery commitment ? For sure. Is everyone uptight about getting their new play thingy ? For sure. Will it arrive and be awesome ? For sure ! Be patient and let the early recipients work out the bugs as soon enough, we will all get ours and they will be stable platforms providing tons of fun.

The Mavic is going to sell in numbers way more than the Phantom 4 so economies of scale favor a lower cost. And, killing off GoPro is job one and DJI is right on target to do that. Add in the Karma recall and we could easily see GoPro cease to exist within a couple years.

I'm not a fan of the vivid settings on the Sony. I'm not sure what other options there are but vivid sucks in my book. The Sony is clearly superior with image stabilization and also in low light conditions. What's the FOV angle on the Sony versus the Hero5?

Brian
Yeap, I mentioned earlier I wish they had different levels of vivid lol, the vivid setting is just a bit too vivid for my taste haha. I wish there was like vivid 1,2,3.. Luckily I should b able to fix it easily by lowering saturation a bit. The other option is neutral I believe but it seems to b the equivalent of "log" and I really don't wanna mess with all that when I'm just motto logging. Mayb if I go on vacation I might use that setting.

I sure hope though that GoPro pulls through n come back with a better drone in the future. Their customer support have always been super fantastic, would b great if their product gets to the same level someday. I'll b the first one to support them haha.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent