DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Gorgeous Adventure in Red Rock, NV climbing Juniper Peak and beyond!

Karlewski

Reactions
This turned out to be a great winter escape and an awesome climb to some incredible places, Juniper Peak, Rifle Notch Peak and gap as well as descending down Terrace canyon. I did make it as a two part series to keep the length down. My only regret was not being able use the drone more but, the bulk of the climb was in the La Madre Wilderness area and the only thing worse would be jeopardizing our drone use in general.

Amazing footage - you must have nerves of steel.
You had a colourful trip.

Enjoyed it very much - thanks.

Thanks for sharing! Great storytelling combined with a guide! The map views and added arrows to indicate your position were very helpful. I watched all of this one - please make sure that you post your followup video here as well!

Thanks for sharing!
Chris

This turned out to be a great winter escape and an awesome climb to some incredible places, Juniper Peak, Rifle Notch Peak and gap as well as descending down Terrace canyon. I did make it as a two part series to keep the length down. My only regret was not being able use the drone more but, the bulk of the climb was in the La Madre Wilderness area and the only thing worse would be jeopardizing our drone use in general.
Vary cool, and interesting to watch. Be safe.

Technically - the area you flew in is called Red Rock Canyon - not Red Rocks. Ok, I'm kind of OCD on that kind of thing, but it is the official name.

Also, should check out Valley of Fire, headed up I-15 towards SLC. Exit Moapa Paiute Travel Plaza / Valley of Fire Highway.

Mt. Charleston has some great scenery as well and "used" to have a ski area up there called Ski Lee - at Lee Canyon. Great vista's up top on the mountain.

Thanks for your support gentlemen, it was very unique and different than the Colorado Rockies I’m used to, amazingly colorful and generally less forgiving. I’m thinking of going back late March.
I do appreciate the clarification tlswift, I think it matters too, especially since the are lot of places with Red Rock in the name. . . I will definitely research your suggestions. Who can resist a name like “Valley of Fire!” Thank-you.
I am adept at staying calm and thoughtful in stressful situations but, as fear creeps in, and it does, especially in the next video, I back off as risk, especially objective dangers, increase. Decades of experience and confidence help me know my own limits and recognize warning signs. There are a bunch of wild adventures, mostly in Colorado, on my channel if you’re interested. ?
Always love suggestions too!

Last edited:
Some very nice shots and a good adventure. I can't take much POV hiking video though, watching your feet gets tiring after a minute.

Nice video. I used to live in Las Vegas, in The Lakes area near Summerlin. Used to go out through Red Rocks all the time. Beautiful area. That would be a tough hike in the summer with 110 degree heat though. hahaha

You always give us such interesting, entertaining and nail-biting adventures. Terrific! Can't wait to see part 2.

Hi Karl,
you are such a brave climber, it´s almost incredible...And moreover you do that with olny one hand, it´s insane wow ??
the rocky landscapes are outstanding, what an amazing region, thanks for sharing..
.Looking forward to the next adventure ?
cheers Paul

The crazy thing about traditional and and less so, sport rock climbing. You are fiddling around with gear to plug into the rock often so you have something to attach the rope too in case of a fall, finding rest positions is critical. Soloing, no rope or partner is theoretically much easier, no fiddling and less gear, no rope weight. For most though, the psychological aspect takes a huge toll on climbing performance, this includes me, but with tons of climbing hours I can be climbing at 5.5 and still be unaffected, 5.6 and I notice, 5.7, never done it unroped. . . on a rope I can usually get 5.11 to 12a on a real good day. . . The next video I put away the sometimes distracting camera for a section I knew would be tough, I was going to make it too but found loose rock and retreated. . . . It was 2000 feet of exposure as well, I was real nervous. . . . White knuckles!
It was right around freezing at dawn there at the base in mid February and went up to 50-60 but with the wind it was chilly! Summer would be unthinkable unless in full canyon shade! I like doing feet shots, since it is the core of climbing and easier to get with a selfie stick on the move but, I'm working in more 3rd person views. For me the key to each clip is adding as much interest to each shot a possible, crazy feet on pretty rock with a view down the cliff and across the canyon at the water falls all caught while craning the selfie and climbing at once. . . . Ideal. Same goes for the drone camera too, show crazy positioning on a mountain while revealing it's beauty and scale in a cool orbit. . . . I need to try attaching some cord, throwing one end up to a ledge and the other tied to the GoPro in a foam floaty for armor. Or maybe the 10" selfie stick set up somewhere I can reach it from higher up? Any ideas for me? Something I can do quick and easy is key. Yea, I think about this stuff at night more than work, oops! A GoPro on my ankle may get some cool stuff. . .

I'm excited to post part 2 tomorrow! Got real exciting on the ridge and more scenic on the descent into terrace canyon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
56cbr600rr