DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Final Epic & Rough climb in Red Rocks Canyon NV on Mt. Wilson

Karlewski

Reactions
I started off a bit beat up on this final adventure climb in Red Rocks Canyon NV. OMG, it was definitely the most physically taxing of all but, it delivered me to some very amazing places and right when I though I'd seen it all! WOW!

Unbelievable! Man you got to be brave to do what you do. I don’t know the difference between class 3 & 4, but I’m sure I would not to able to watch you on YouTube if I ever tried to do what you do! Amazing video. I couldn’t look away. And you do it one handed whilst holding the camera as well! As Borat would say WOW WOW WA WEE WAH!
??????????

I started off a bit beat up on this final adventure climb in Red Rocks Canyon NV. OMG, it was definitely the most physically taxing of all but, it delivered me to some very amazing places and right when I though I'd seen it all! WOW!

My daughter and grandkids would be all over that. Got more "b's" than me doing some of that.

WOW, amazing.
The good news, you have a perfectly healthy "inner ear" to be able to not get dizzy.
Fantastic, Bravo.

Amazing climbing and scenery. I must compliment you on a great adventure.

Hi Karl,
compliments that you did win the "battle" against the man eater-good one- ? That was really a hard one! The scenery is absolutely outstanding WOW! The "horned quadruped" was quite trusting and also a very good climber ?
I enjoyed every minute of your video, it was also a great pleasure to listen to your comments sometine funny and sometime even a little bit scared ??
cheers Paul
one thing is certain Karl, you´r a "crack-climber" ???

Sitting here in my front room I know I'm safe but your video terrified me. I probaby suffer from vertigo and feel that I shouldn't have watched but I just couldn't help myself I was mesmerised! I thought, I'll just watch a couple of minutes, but I stayed fascinated right to the very end. Tell me, how did you manage to get those mountain goats to pose for you. The last one looked as if he was a hired guide showing you the way. This undoubtedly, is the best video I have ever watched on the net and you are to be congratulated on your filmng. It has been a pleasure to watch, scary, very scary , at times so thank you for posting.
I usually sign off with the message, Stay safe! (referring to the pandemic) but in your case it goes also for your future pursuits.

Huge thanks for the compliments brothers! I was scared on this one, I had the climbing under control but trusting the ropes and having an uncertain descent was cause for concern. So was the idea of going back down the gully if I could find no other way. I did remind myself of that unsavory but doable option. I was carrying a head lamp, extra food, water filter and a satellite rescue beacon as well.
I could not be more comfortable with heights, after about 40ft the result is alway the same anyway . . . as a paraglider pilot, I've been almost 10,000' AGL (above ground level) a couple times, was more worried about oxygen levels. . .
This trip was very real and special, as is the video, an honest account of a true epic adventure pushing a hardened mountaineer. The goats were astounding, moving with incredible speed, power, and agility in a nonchalant manner over death defying terrain, unreal to see up close. Made me feel like a wussy, lol!
Time to go dig out a ton of snow back here in a Colorado spring blizzard.

Happy flying guys!

P.S. If I did feel I was in serious danger. . .the camera won't be rolling, I'm removing all distractions, and I will be locked into laser focus mode. Like the last video with the loose choke stone in the super exposed crack, I left the camera in the bag. . . and ultimately retreated anyway. Wisdom is the better part of valor. . .

Ha Karl, you´r welcome!
thanks for the additional infos abour your incredible climbig...I am waiting for your next adventure ? Good digging in colorado and stay safe, not only when you climb ??

BTW, this would be a callenge ? Maybe better not!

the first photo shows the Matterhorn on the Swiss side grade 4
the second on the Italian side grade 5 ?

Additional scary info: the Matterhorn is one of the ten deadliest Mountain in the world, since the first ascent by Edward Whymper in the year 1865 578 alpinists plunged to their deaths ? twenty of the fallen climbers were never found ☹

cheers Paul

Attachments

• Schweiz_Dez_15_044.jpg
    Schweiz_Dez_15_044.jpg
    678.6 KB · Views: 1
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 1
I have totally investigated it since it is sooo awesome. Unfortunately too awesome. I know I can climb it with out ice in decent weather but it’s very expensive and crowded, really small window to hit it without much ice compounding the crowding but, DEFINITELY, the kind of thing I look for. Thanks Paul! I’m thinking Dolomites if I can ever get out there but I’m especially game for anything drone legal and not too crowded. . .

I have totally investigated it since it is sooo awesome. Unfortunately too awesome. I know I can climb it with out ice in decent weather but it’s very expensive and crowded, really small window to hit it without much ice compounding the crowding but, DEFINITELY, the kind of thing I look for. Thanks Paul! I’m thinking Dolomites if I can ever get out there but I’m especially game for anything drone legal and not too crowded. . .
That´s really a big problem, it´s too crowded there are 80 clibers per day on average. That must not really be funny. Most of the days there are spots on the mountain where ther is a real "traffic jam" And it´s very expensive too! The dolomites are surely the better choice. Concerning drones I do not know how it is, either at the Matterhorn nor in the dolomites!

cheers Paul

Why don't you just come to Scotland and for you, take a leisurely stroll up the highest peak in the UK. You will not find it taxing but I am sure you will find the vew rewarding! Look on the net for Ben Nevis, Scotland. Only 4406 ft high, but boy! the views are something to behold! Stay safe!

I did check it out, wow, honestly, cooler than I expected. . . . after Red Rocks canyon climbing at around 6,000', I attach less importance to altitude, at least under 12-13K. I can breath fine either way, the sand stone, IMO, is trickier, steeper, deeper canyons, tougher to navigate.
For me the adventure's allure is the climbing/scrambling as much as the scenes and special views of nature. . . I'm sure that will change with time. . . see you soon!

Over 2' of snow! Those are 4' retaining walls! It was DUMING HARD!

Attachments

• IMG_A9D4C8E1B89A-1.jpeg
    IMG_A9D4C8E1B89A-1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
What a fantastic adventure through my stomping grounds! Thanks so much for that! :)

I've never summited Mt Wilson personally. At my current age and physical condition I wouldn't try it now either. But I have been up First Creek to the base of the waterfall that you came down. Its a fantastic scramble up and down First Creek canyon for sure. Those little canyons are deceptively tricky and technical at times. Even just fighting your way through the thick brush in some of the lower canyons can get the better of you. But it is always rewarding. Stunning scenery and lots of fun. You've sparked my desire to go back there soon.

Its funny how much the fish-eye effect makes a ridgeline seem so scary on a video. When you traversed out to White Point with the helmet cam it looked absolutely frightening on video. Of course there is some real danger there. A fall can happen, and people do die up there at times. But for those who think he is crazy, well I can say from my experience that he seems to be very conscious of his ability and not prone to unnecessary risk. Just enough risk to make the adventure rewarding. Haha!

On a side note. my name is Karl also. :)

Last edited:
Hey Karl, thanks for your support. 1st Creek was definitely magical, the snow fed tributary slick rock chutes and waterfalls were amazing too. I wish I could have flown in there to truly reveal its majesty.
I will say, as an avid mountaineer and rock climber, without some solid training and experience, being out on white point would definitely be terrifying. Way doible though, almost sidewalkish. . . but the climb up there in that steep gully was technical and the escape down hidden bowl was intimidating for me as well, the unknown, I guess. . . I love having someone out there who understands the realities clearly, cheers. I'd definitely go back this spring and drone the hike into 1st creek from outside the wilderness. I think there are some "better" ways to get up in there than right up the creek. I know those kids bouldering were carrying a bunch of crash pads in and would be in hell doing what I did with those! Take care brother!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada