DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Thrilling & Magnificent Red Rock Canyon NV Scramble up Bridge Mountain!

Karlewski

Reactions
This climb was unreal and surprisingly technical, it started off cool and ended up Amazing, even for Red Rock Canyon, Las Vegas Nevada. If you do go, even just to explore the beautiful canyons, go when it is cool and wear pants. I got scratched to **** and poked by every desert plant known to man, LOL. It was totally worth it!

Great adventure video as always! I really like how you incorporat Google Earth into your videos. Do you use a special subscriber version of just plain old Google Earth Pro? Cheers!

I just use the basic version and build a, "project" within it. Adding places and choosing views for each place. Then I put the places in the order I want, start screen recoding and click through the places and that keeps the cool views coming, along the route in my case. . . Sounds easy and, it is, after you learn the whole thing, the initial start from scratch was a PITA, but steep learning curve. Now I can set up all up fairly easily. . . . The whole next battle is learning advanced "key framing" in your video editor to keep the arrow moving along the route. It would be BY FAR easiest to have someone train you to learn how to do that, one afternoon VS reinventing the wheel. . . I think google does have some other features that may be easier for you. . . I know key framing so I stick with that. . . I do wish google earth played back smoother. . . I think its a weakness of my crappy wifi, I have already set up compatible frame rates and that doesn't help. . .

I just use the basic version and build a, "project" within it. Adding places and choosing views for each place. Then I put the places in the order I want, start screen recoding and click through the places and that keeps the cool views coming, along the route in my case. . . Sounds easy and, it is, after you learn the whole thing, the initial start from scratch was a PITA, but steep learning curve. Now I can set up all up fairly easily. . . . The whole next battle is learning advanced "key framing" in your video editor to keep the arrow moving along the route. It would be BY FAR easiest to have someone train you to learn how to do that, one afternoon VS reinventing the wheel. . . I think google does have some other features that may be easier for you. . . I know key framing so I stick with that. . . I do wish google earth played back smoother. . . I think its a weakness of my crappy wifi, I have already set up compatible frame rates and that doesn't help. . .

Very nice!

I've seen reference to the process you just described and I think I'll try it. I've done it by making separate clips by creating a "tour" and then recording that with GE's Movie Maker saving out a MP4 clip (UHD 2160p @ 30 fps). I agree with you about the crappy GE playback. I get a wobbling motion not unlike my MP2 from time to time. Have you looked into using a mask in post that would selectively reveal a previously fully drawn line that represents your route? It woulds still require key framing the mask to "keep up with" the GE video clip but might beat position/rotation key framing. There are lots of good YouTube examples of masking. BTW, what NLE do you use? I use Premiere Pro.
Thanks for the great videos!

I definitely know what you are referring to but, I could only do it if the map was static. Not sure how I could get the route line lock onto the GE 3D model as it starts swinging around? I've seen it done on a 2D normal map and totally get that style of edit but 3D. ??? That 3D is so cool for showing the vert. . .and as a "pseudo" drone shot too. I wish I could just ALWAYS use a drone but, the regulations. . . no chance.

I definitely know what you are referring to but, I could only do it if the map was static. Not sure how I could get the route line lock onto the GE 3D model as it starts swinging around? I've seen it done on a 2D normal map and totally get that style of edit but 3D. ??? That 3D is so cool for showing the vert. . .and as a "pseudo" drone shot too. I wish I could just ALWAYS use a drone but, the regulations. . . no chance.
How about digitizing a line in GE (Add Path) for the route, which would be in the GE scene that you're recording? That line would appear to "hug the ground" in the right place as the Google Earth video image rotates/tilts/ or zooms. Set the properties of that line to be say a thick red line that is clamped to the ground (under Altitude tab). Then take that GE clip into your NLE and build a "simple" key frame mask to reveal the line a bit at a time so as to make it look like your route line is moving in the direction of your narrated story. Another way might be taking the GE clip into something like After Effects and then digitize a line representing the route as a separate layer. That line layer would then have to be key framed to conform to the GE scene as it plays so probably a lot of key framing any way you look at it! I'm going to experiment around as I'd like up up my game.

How about digitizing a line in GE (Add Path) for the route, which would be in the GE scene that you're recording? That line would appear to "hug the ground" in the right place as the Google Earth video image rotates/tilts/ or zooms. Set the properties of that line to be say a thick red line that is clamped to the ground (under Altitude tab). Then take that GE clip into your NLE and build a "simple" key frame mask to reveal the line a bit at a time so as to make it look like your route line is moving in the direction of your narrated story. Another way might be taking the GE clip into something like After Effects and then digitize a line representing the route as a separate layer. That line layer would then have to be key framed to conform to the GE scene as it plays so probably a lot of key framing any way you look at it! I'm going to experiment around as I'd like up up my game.
Nix what I said about the first way! I don't think you'd be able to isolate the line from the rest of the background with a mask since both the line a background are on the same "layer". I think the key is to have the line as a separate layer but that line has to conform to a three dimensional looking surface that is moving! I'm on it!

That's what I though too, hiding the line and blending that in would be as tough as anything. . . I think there is an app that does do something like you describe. . . Draws your GPS track and has a follow cam for it all in a 3D mode but, I'm pretty happy with the arrow to reveal all the vert and just use a topo to really lay it out and show distances. . . I still wish I could fly a drone in there, that would be super cool and revealing of the whole adventure. Just flying it straight away from a crazy cliff stance while facing my position always comes out really cool!

That's what I though too, hiding the line and blending that in would be as tough as anything. . . I think there is an app that does do something like you describe. . . Draws your GPS track and has a follow cam for it all in a 3D mode but, I'm pretty happy with the arrow to reveal all the vert and just use a topo to really lay it out and show distances. . . I still wish I could fly a drone in there, that would be super cool and revealing of the whole adventure. Just flying it straight away from a crazy cliff stance while facing my position always comes out really cool!

Yes, I saw several ways it could be done fairly easy but it would require a paid subscription to GE and some other software. Your arrow method works well being synchronized with your pre-arranged GE clips. Indeed flying the drone from some of the places you get into would be fabulous. I'm amazed you can do your hikes, set-up various shots, fly a drone, and scare the hell out of most of us as you're creeping along a sloping ledge with a selfie stick! Keep up the good work and happy holidays!

We all have our special skills, a life time of basic photography, RC and free flight piloting, weather study and rock climbing has lead me here and feeling natural doing it. Even some hefty blue collar labor has helped. Happy holidays my friend!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock