DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Epic Desert Adventure to Happy Canyon & Beyond, Utah's most Ascetic Slot Canyon!

Karlewski

Reactions
This Mega Triathlon Desert Adventure included 24 MX miles, 7 Hiking and Scrambling Miles and a 10 mile Float trip ending in one rather INTENSE situation trapped in the Dirty Devil River Canyon after floating past my takeout point! Obviously it all worked out but, WOW, there were a few moments I was . . . concerned. The video does not show several of the climbing efforts I unsuccessfully made trying to escape the canyon. And if you've seen any of my videos you know, if there is one thing I can do well, it's climb! Shear walls and crumbly faces shut me down and it was rough with literally a pound of mud in each shoe. I was so pumped up by nerves I blasted out of the canyon quickly and easily once I found a reasonable escape.

Top effort Karl and well put together. as usual.
Great canyon with heaps of ways to approach and enjoy it.

This Mega Triathlon Desert Adventure included 24 MX miles, 7 Hiking and Scrambling Miles and a 10 mile Float trip ending in one rather INTENSE situation trapped in the Dirty Devil River Canyon after floating past my takeout point! Obviously it all worked out but, WOW, there were a few moments I was . . . concerned. The video does not show several of the climbing efforts I unsuccessfully made trying to escape the canyon. And if you've seen any of my videos you know, if there is one thing I can do well, it's climb! Shear walls and crumbly faces shut me down and it was rough with literally a pound of mud in each shoe. I was so pumped up by nerves I blasted out of the canyon quickly and easily once I found a reasonable escape.
Karl! I am short of breath watching this adventure of yours! Truly one of the most amazing videos ever. Thanks for taking us all along and sharing your experience in flying, hiking, rafting, and canyoneering. I especially loved the slot canyon scenes. I would kill to be transported there for an afternoon of photography. Your bravery and fortitude in navigating those muddy waters was unbelievable. It was truly an intense experience while watching, and only knowing that you came back to edit this video Made me feel enough to relax and enjoy the journey.

Dale
Miami

It was scary when I got shut down on my first attempt to climb out realizing how trapped I was. I even swam bit unintentionally, to work up stream trying to find an escape. Then the rain came and the wind kicked my *** while I was still soaked from the swim. . . When I saw the wind picking up my raft, with my pack, water and phone in it, I freaked out! That's when I deflated and just decided to hike it out to the road ASAP and suffer the potential monster hike to the bike but, luckily the canyon yielded early. I can not tell you just how muddy that river is, just touching it and you're muddy, the banks were INSAIN with deep mud sucking me in, very tough to walk and not fall as major effort was needed to yank out a foot! No way to clean up either, no sand bars just mud where I was so no way to use the water to clean without standing in more mud. my shoes literally weighed an extra pound each at least, there was lots of mud inside my socks. It was rough. The Crazy part, it would have been quite a reasonable trip for me if I had just pulled out when I saw that tower I had recognized from above from a look I had while hiking earlier. Setting that way point in the wrong place solidified my mistake. . . In calm retrospect, I had options but in that moment, I was very concerned. . . Running out of water happens fast out there. . . Seeing people totally calmed me down. Cheers my brothers and thanks Dale!
Wonder if I could use the raft to make a water still?

Good read Karl and makes us more appreciative of the efforts you go to to get us some high class footage.

Good read Karl and makes us more appreciative of the efforts you go to to get us some high class footage.
Thanks Karl:

I worry for your life on these outings. I feel like your father!

I was wondering if you carry the portable sterilizable water systems such as the Camel bak UV bottle. I used to use the Camelback waterbottle with drinking tube but ran out of water before the hike was over. Now I carry a bottle with a UV light that can be charged for hundreds of treatments with UVlight. It can remove 99% of germs from river water.

Dale

I alway carry a filter if it will work but for this river, No Way. It is a true delight to have the option to refill in any desert venue. Even the option just to get wet and not drink is nice and had me going an extra 5 miles the other day knowing I could stay cool.
The Dirty Devil is Super High Sediment and Salinity, I think worse than the Dead Sea! The whole water thing is by far my least favorite part about the Desert and super scary. It is like watching water flow through the Hour Glass and when it's empty. . . The mountains are so much easier that way, always nice water and if way up high there is likely some snow for a top off and easily verifiable just by looking. The rock quality is generally so much better too, more sound, way less risk climbing and the sand on softer sand stone is slippery too. . Way easier to get trapped in the desert as well with many more continuous steep walled canyons and limited visibility. IMO backcountry desert travel is as dangerous as anything short of high mountain expeditions during the winter, even then. . . I stash extra water on my bikes 1/2 way out just in case and in the truck at the Trail head. . .
My whole life has been this way Dale, Professional Paraglider pilot was by far the most dangerous, lost a few buddies. . . Honestly, I don't expect to life forever and I've had more exceptional experiences the most will have in 3 life times. I don't take stupid risks either as you'll see in my next video. . . That's why I'm still alive! Here my friend, a sneak peak for you!

I alway carry a filter if it will work but for this river, No Way. It is a true delight to have the option to refill in any desert venue. Even the option just to get wet and not drink is nice and had me going an extra 5 miles the other day knowing I could stay cool.
The Dirty Devil is Super High Sediment and Salinity, I think worse than the Dead Sea! The whole water thing is by far my least favorite part about the Desert and super scary. It is like watching water flow through the Hour Glass and when it's empty. . . The mountains are so much easier that way, always nice water and if way up high there is likely some snow for a top off and easily verifiable just by looking. The rock quality is generally so much better too, more sound, way less risk climbing and the sand on softer sand stone is slippery too. . Way easier to get trapped in the desert as well with many more continuous steep walled canyons and limited visibility. IMO backcountry desert travel is as dangerous as anything short of high mountain expeditions during the winter, even then. . . I stash extra water on my bikes 1/2 way out just in case and in the truck at the Trail head. . .
My whole life has been this way Dale, Professional Paraglider pilot was by far the most dangerous, lost a few buddies. . . Honestly, I don't expect to life forever and I've had more exceptional experiences the most will have in 3 life times. I don't take stupid risks either as you'll see in my next video. . . That's why I'm still alive! Here my friend, a sneak peak for you!
Of course, I was sure you already knew about the UV Camelbak water filter bottle. And I did realize that the muddy water and the desert is not a place for this bottle. So you are limited to reliance on the water that you can carry in your backpack if you are far from you bike storage. I actually think that water is the main limiting factor as to how far out you can venture without risking dehydration.
I relish every moment of your great videos so I will settle down and watch this one with a nice drink and a snack.
It is redundant, but please take care of yourself and err on the side of caution so you can go back another day.

Dale Davis,M.D.(retired ophthalmologist)
Miami
www.daledavisphotography.smugmug.com

Of course, I was sure you already knew about the UV Camelbak water filter bottle. And I did realize that the muddy water and the desert is not a place for this bottle. So you are limited to reliance on the water that you can carry in your backpack if you are far from you bike storage. I actually think that water is the main limiting factor as to how far out you can venture without risking dehydration.
I relish every moment of your great videos so I will settle down and watch this one with a nice drink and a snack.
It is redundant, but please take care of yourself and err on the side of caution so you can go back another day.

Dale Davis,M.D.(retired ophthalmologist)
Miami
www.daledavisphotography.smugmug.com
Karl:

Finally I was able to sit down and completely immerse myself in your Mexican Mountain adventure and it was truly astounding, amazing, and awesome. The scenery was unbelievably gorgeous. Your photography and use of the selfie stick while climbing still makes me wonder, "how in the hell does he do that?" I love the scenes where you show yourself hiking, fading to another shot hiking. I guess you just set up the camera and walk into the scene. But how you do the more distant shots means you have to climb the rocks twice, (to come back for the camera). Do you carry a GPS beacon to call for an SOS?

The film has actually left me searching for words, but I am speechless.
I am privileged to watch your films.

Dale
Miami

I do have the Mini Inreach with a satellite sos beacon. One of the things on my mind when I turned back was. . .if I get any kind of real injury getting back down the preceding 2 technical climbing sections would be a problem and I had already gotten a bit scraped up. . .
Really enjoying the Desert this unusually wet season and all the great scenes it has given me. There have been tons of monarch butterflies around here lately too. The heat is turning on though, 90 every day and still too much snow on the high peaks has been a bummer so I did a desert canyon hike with a creek and waterfall! Honestly, I'd rather be climbing granite for summer. . . Did do another float trip as well. . . coming soon!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_