DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got my Mavic Platinum props today! 2 Decibles Quieter!

Mavic626

Reactions
Today I went to my local DJ I store. They just got the shipment of Mavic platinum props in. I brought them home to try on my standard Mavic Pro. Using my decibel meter, I had the craft hovering 5 feet in the air and 15 feet away from me. The decibel meter was on a table about 2 above the ground.

The ambient sound outside was 53-54 decibels

The old maverick props were 61-62 decibels

the new platinum props were 58-59 decibels

The funny part was, once I got higher the new platinum props got louder. As some had stated, it seems to quiet the craft on the horizontal plane more than being directly above you.

I can say that they do sound quieter or maybe it just seems like it makes the motors sound like they are running smoother. But doing my own test shows the new platinum props on the old mavic lowers the overall sound one to two decibels.

Today I went to my local DJ I store. They just got the shipment of Mavic platinum props in. I brought them home to try on my standard Mavic Pro. Using my decibel meter, I had the craft hovering 5 feet in the air and 15 feet away from me. The decibel meter was on a table about 2 above the ground.

The ambient sound outside was 53-54 decibels

The old maverick props were 61-62 decibels

the new platinum props were 58-59 decibels

The funny part was, once I got higher the new platinum props got louder. As some had stated, it seems to quiet the craft on the horizontal plane more than being directly above you.

I can say that they do sound quieter or maybe it just seems like it makes the motors sound like they are running smoother. But doing my own test shows the new platinum props on the old mavic lowers the overall sound one to two decibels.

Congrats on receiving the infamous props. Many of us are still a few weeks out from receiving ours. The next order of business is flight time, some say a few minutes more. Hopefully you can give us your experience on that too. Keep in mind if you're running a dialed back version of the DJI app the motor/esc might get overworked due to the efficiency of the new prop. You probably know this already but just a heads up.

Can you explain what you mean by this?

This came up in another thread. I think the hypothesis is that since the new props are more efficient, the power dissipation per RPM is higher and so if the motors are RPM limited rather than power (or current) limited, then at maximum RPM they will be drawing more current with the new props.

This came up in another thread. I think the hypothesis is that since the new props are more efficient, the power dissipation per RPM is higher and so if the motors are RPM limited rather than power (or current) limited, then at maximum RPM they will be drawing more current with the new props.

Thanks for that. So in essence you might end up getting high voltage errors. (correct?)

How does this relate to "a dialed back version of the DJI app" ?

It'll be old fw not app that will effect

Mavic Pro Release Notes
Mavic - Wherever you go
Copyright © 2017 DJI All Rights Reserved. 1
Date : 2017.09.19
Firmware : v01.04.0000
DJI GO 4 App iOS : v4.1.10
DJI GO 4 App Android : v4.1.10
What’s New?

 Added QuickShot feature (requires DJI GO 4 app v4.1.10 or higher).

 Added Dynamic Home Point for ActiveTrack mode (requires DJI GO 4 app v4.1.10 or higher).

Added support for Mavic Pro Platinum firmware and 8331 Low-Noise Quick Release Propellers.

 Adjusted the color in Normal mode to Vivid (requires DJI GO 4 app v4.1.10 or higher).

Reactions: Stunnajd112
It'll be old fw not app that will effect

Mavic Pro Release Notes
Mavic - Wherever you go
Copyright © 2017 DJI All Rights Reserved. 1
Date : 2017.09.19
Firmware : v01.04.0000
DJI GO 4 App iOS : v4.1.10
DJI GO 4 App Android : v4.1.10
What’s New?

 Added QuickShot feature (requires DJI GO 4 app v4.1.10 or higher).

 Added Dynamic Home Point for ActiveTrack mode (requires DJI GO 4 app v4.1.10 or higher).

Added support for Mavic Pro Platinum firmware and 8331 Low-Noise Quick Release Propellers.

 Adjusted the color in Normal mode to Vivid (requires DJI GO 4 app v4.1.10 or higher).

Interesting. I wonder how the FC detects which props are installed. Possibly as simple as RPM range required for flight.

Reactions: Stunnajd112
Don't think its got a motor sense it just monitors voltage & current
It probably ups the threshold for currant warning

I've always been curious what is happening just after motor start, when they seem to get bumped a couple times in the first few seconds. It could be nothing or it could be a check of some sort (voltage / current / time / RPM monitoring)? Something like that might be able to be used to distinguish prop changes?

Reactions: Jaythrow and Brojon
That dji say is to open the props
Will also be to check for over current ie failed motor it blocked motor before the other motors try to take off and possibly fly off sideways

Is that calculated or actual reading the motor seems to be a basic 3 phase motor 3 wires not a controlled sensed stepper motor 5 wires

I agree with you and I should of emphasized the hypothesis aspect due to none of us physically testing it ourselves. With the new update it states added support for 8331 propellers. I don't want to give bad info but I'd hate to see anyone's motors fry up over a 20 dollar upgrade doing an endurance test.
52ac4043422c7916dbe4f269fccc49a4.jpg

Reactions: sar104
Is that calculated or actual reading the motor seems to be a basic 3 phase motor 3 wires not a controlled sensed stepper motor 5 wires

I've no idea how it would be calculated. PWM is logged separately, and is clearly different. But I have not investigated the hardware to figure out how it is being detected - perhaps others can comment on that.

I agree with you and I should of emphasized the hypothesis aspect due to none of us physically testing it ourselves. With the new update it states added support for 8331 propellers. I don't want to give bad info but I'd hate to see anyone's motors fry up over a 20 dollar upgrade doing an endurance test.
52ac4043422c7916dbe4f269fccc49a4.jpg

Agreed. Obviously something has been implemented to change some aspect of the flight characteristics but precisely what may take a little testing to figure out.

Congrats on receiving the infamous props. Many of us are still a few weeks out from receiving ours. The next order of business is flight time, some say a few minutes more. Hopefully you can give us your experience on that too. Keep in mind if you're running a dialed back version of the DJI app the motor/esc might get overworked due to the efficiency of the new prop. You probably know this already but just a heads up.
I got mine from drones made easy located in San Diego California. They told me that the DJI distributors usually get things before DJI sends them out to the public so if anyone is local they can still pick up the props. Thanks for letting me know about the firmware on make sure I update it.

I got mine from drones made easy located in San Diego California. They told me that the DJI distributors usually get things before DJI sends them out to the public so if anyone is local they can still pick up the props. Thanks for letting me know about the firmware on make sure I update it.

Absolutely, when I plan a Southern California trip I most definitely will check out the shop. Thanks for the heads up. I've got a few spots near San Diego that that are on the bucket list.
487b88e0b3980ac5462f166cdb585a9e.jpg

I've always been curious what is happening just after motor start, when they seem to get bumped a couple times in the first few seconds. It could be nothing or it could be a check of some sort (voltage / current / time / RPM monitoring)? Something like that might be able to be used to distinguish prop changes?

My guess is that they are trying to make sure the props open up, in case you forgot to...

Reactions: dewster
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60