DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got my Mavic Platinum props today! 2 Decibles Quieter!

Are you using a properly calibrated and set up sound meter or just an app on the phone? If its a proper meter those figures seem sensible.

2db seems sensible given the 4db quoted by DJI for the platinum. If you look at their graph as well they only quote that reduction for takeoff and landing with a lot less (or more in some cases) for other parts of the flight.

I doubt you'll find a single person that can identify a 2db change in sound level in a properly controlled test.

Are you using a properly calibrated and set up sound meter or just an app on the phone? If its a proper meter those figures seem sensible.

2db seems sensible given the 4db quoted by DJI for the platinum. If you look at their graph as well they only quote that reduction for takeoff and landing with a lot less (or more in some cases) for other parts of the flight.

I doubt you'll find a single person that can identify a 2db change in sound level in a properly controlled test.

Which graph is that? I haven't seen any comparison data with that level of detail.

NEW DJI Mavic Pro Platinum + DJI Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian one of them is on there small.
The things were posted here around the day of the platinum release. They showed sound levels vs frequency along with various flight stages. These are DJIs own figures.

2db is certainly plausible if its done with a properly calibrated sound meter. But no person is going to be able to tell a 2db change in perceived loudness.

NEW DJI Mavic Pro Platinum + DJI Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian one of them is on there small.
The things were posted here around the day of the platinum release. They showed sound levels vs frequency along with various flight stages. These are DJIs own figures.

2db is certainly plausible if its done with a properly calibrated sound meter. But no person is going to be able to tell a 2db change in perceived loudness.

I've seen the sound vs. frequency graph, but nothing relating sound to any other parameter. It doesn't appear to be in that link either.

It's certainly going to be difficult to notice a 2 db reduction, especially since the motor frequency is also different.

Absolutely, when I plan a Southern California trip I most definitely will check out the shop. Thanks for the heads up. I've got a few spots near San Diego that that are on the bucket list.
487b88e0b3980ac5462f166cdb585a9e.jpg
That's an awfully low flying airplane in drone shot. I can only assume it's take off or landing, which almost guarantees you're flying in a restricted zone. Hope you got a waiver if this is your pic.

That's an awfully low flying airplane in drone shot. I can only assume it's take off or landing, which almost guarantees you're flying in a restricted zone. Hope you got a waiver if this is your pic.

It was undoubtedly restricted airspace. But notice how there are no structure shadows on the ground on a vertical line through the rear of the aircraft shadow. Where do you suppose the camera was located?

As far as all the theories about motor voltage, current, rpm....damage to motors and new firmware allowing for it....what does that all mean when using new firmware with old props?! LOL! My guess is the new firmware is for the platinums new esc’s? ..and maybe it all doesn’t mean a hoot to the MP what prop is being used...hmm, [emoji848]

My guess is the new firmware is for the platinums new esc’s? ..and maybe it all doesn’t mean a hoot to the MP what prop is being used...hmm, [emoji848]
If the new ESCs required new firmware, you would think the Platinum would already ship with it.

If the new ESCs required new firmware, you would think the Platinum would already ship with it.

True, but what effect to the original MP switching between standard props and platinum props. Is there a danger? Are the motors, esc’s that sensitive? I would think not, or DJI would state NOT to use low noise props on original MP. JMO

Based on the shadows of the plane and other items in the picture, it appears it was taken from the plane, not from a drone. The picture is also slightly blurry which means it's probably taken through the planes window.

Reactions: ManualFocus

I was using a meter that i bought from amazon, its was only about $40 but seems to be pretty good so it was not just a phone app. It does sound a little quieter or it may be as loud but the sound doesn't seem to be as aggressive as the old props it just sounds smoother. Overall I think they are a good $20 upgrade:)

Based on the shadows of the plane and other items in the picture, it appears it was taken from the plane, not from a drone. The picture is also slightly blurry which means it's probably taken through the planes window.

Agreed.

Today I went to my local DJ I store. They just got the shipment of Mavic platinum props in. I brought them home to try on my standard Mavic Pro. Using my decibel meter, I had the craft hovering 5 feet in the air and 15 feet away from me. The decibel meter was on a table about 2 above the ground.

The ambient sound outside was 53-54 decibels

The old maverick props were 61-62 decibels

the new platinum props were 58-59 decibels

The funny part was, once I got higher the new platinum props got louder. As some had stated, it seems to quiet the craft on the horizontal plane more than being directly above you.

I can say that they do sound quieter or maybe it just seems like it makes the motors sound like they are running smoother. But doing my own test shows the new platinum props on the old mavic lowers the overall sound one to two decibels.

Do some hover test and have look at the RPM telemetry on your controller. I think the new props drop like 50-60 revs when hovering. Does this mean its hovering more efficiently??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost