DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got our Mavic 3 in today, first impressions

Miss Chrisy Co

Reactions
Not impressed so far. My initial thoughts after 1 flight is to return this thing and keep the A2s and M2P. No optical zoom, active track isn't available yet and you can't do a whole lot with this drone yet. Seems rushed for Christmas, and the 2 sensors is really just a gimmick, I thought at least the one sensor had optics for zooming, but apparently not. Seriously considering returning.

Thoughts?

If it doesn't do what you want at the moment I'd return it then later on if they do add the missing features as promised you can buy it again so you don't lose out, your concerns about the current state of the drone and the usefulness of the telephoto lens are reasonable.

Personally I wouldn't consider a Mavic 3 at the moment because of the missing features and I'll look into it later when they do add them.

Then again, given the number of people anxious to get their hands on a 3 and complaining about shipping problems, you could probably sell it for over what you paid...
Yeah, the demand for Mavic 3 is high indeed. Many people are taking loans and credit to buy it. I doubt she will be able to sell hers for more money though, since it is open box now.

I am personally not happy some features are still missing, but it seems many people are already having fun with the drone from the many YT videos posted already. So, I am thinking that when I get mine, I may not even open it for some time because of some missing features. I will order the RC-Pro this Friday or Saturday. When I get it, I will put the RC-Pro with the M3 Fly More Combo as a package on sale on craigslist for a fixed price above my cost. I do not need to sell it, but will see if anybody needed it more than me and wanted to pay me and get it. I may just try that.

Not impressed so far. My initial thoughts after 1 flight is to return this thing and keep the A2s and M2P.
It is your money. You say you are not impressed. That seals the deal. Now just follow through with your wish to return this thing.

Reactions: TeddyBozeman
I've been watching a lot of YouTube reviews but no one really brings up any negatives except for the poor zoom camera. I feel likes there's too many missing features on the drone to provide a solid review. Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts.

I've been watching a lot of YouTube reviews but no one really brings up any negatives except for the poor zoom camera. I feel likes there's too many missing features on the drone to provide a solid review. Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts.
Hmm, I got similiar impressions, most of them might not want to interfere with DJI for future support.
It is probably way too early for a serious review and while keeping silent is not the same as lying, any drone pilot with some experience, needs to see that obvious features are not implemented and should at least state these pending promises.

Last edited:
This drone is an incremental upgrade with a generational upgrade price. It really should have been called the M2 Pro Max edition. Reserve the 3rd generation tag for something that's groundbreaking. After all the hype, we've seen the pictures and video and they aren't some crazy improvement, even at night. They're definitely better, just not stunning so.

If it doesn't do what you want at the moment I'd return it then later on if they do add the missing features as promised you can buy it again so you don't lose out, your concerns about the current state of the drone and the usefulness of the telephoto lens are reasonable.

Personally I wouldn't consider a Mavic 3 at the moment because of the missing features and I'll look into it later when they do add them.
Definitely not worth considering until post January 2022. It’s way too software deficient as it currently stands. I’m even going to wait to see if all the missing fly components are effective and fully tested before making a move. It’s just a “beta drone” right now.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Not impressed so far. My initial thoughts after 1 flight is to return this thing and keep the A2s and M2P. No optical zoom, active track isn't available yet and you can't do a whole lot with this drone yet. Seems rushed for Christmas, and the 2 sensors is really just a gimmick, I thought at least the one sensor had optics for zooming, but apparently not. Seriously considering returning.

Thoughts?
Saying could you tell if they got rid of the gimbal slam that might be worth keeping alone if They did ?

Thoughts?
I NEVER buy any "New Tech product" (iPhone, drone etc.) until it is at least 6 months from release date. For the very reasons of the issues in this post. "good things come to those who wait"

Lots of bang for your buck in this drone. Low price for this drone. People will buy them up like toilet paper. Congrats OP, have fun with it.

Reading the product page on DJI's website before purchasing would have likely avoided many of your frustrations. I understand the "gotta have it" factor as much as anyone, but in my mind anyway, $3,000+ purchases deserve at least a basic level of research beforehand.

I think the question you need to ask yourself is what were you hoping to get from it that your A2S and M2P don't already do? If you can't think of much, then return it and save your money. If the features scheduled to be added in January would make you want to keep it, then I would suggest you do anyway in case there are availability issues preventing you from re-purchasing it at that time.

The biggest draw to the M3 is the 4/3 sensor, the resolutions/framerates/bitrates that come with it, and the ProRes capability of the Cine model. If your usage doesn't benefit from those things, or if you are unsure what the appeal of those things are, you will likely continue to be underwhelmed by it and in that case I would return it.

Reactions: Wreckhunter
Marketing of big companies all across the world has done several things in people's head, but especially:
  1. the latest thing is hot and adorable but
  2. the older predecessor is not anymore (the King is dead, long live the King), possible degrading it to an unusable and inferior state (ugly duckling) from one moment to the other.
  3. If you want to evolve, never look back, the newer, the better
  4. Better buy it first or even pre-order because
  5. leader never follow
:rolleyes:

I understand people looking forward to it for a long time or even first time flyers, but software-wise it is rushed at least until January. Better to use common sense and ignore those loud promotions to avoid disappointments.

Last edited:

Thoughts?
I ordered the M3 after much research and consideration. It works for me and I think it is a great drone now and will be even better when DJI releases the anticipated firmware updates. Of course I wish it had the full complement of software features now, upon release, but it doesn’t. I can live with that without the heartburn. DJI I produces some of the best drones on the market, is a reputable company, and I believe it will come through with the anticipated features.
That’s my opinion for my own consumption. I’m not trying to convince you or anybody else to like the M3. Actually, I don’t understand why you’re asking for opinions from others nor why it should matter at all in your case because you have flown it and experienced it firsthand. The time for asking the questions you pose would have been before you bought it. You have the drone in your hands now and you say you don’t like it. Is somebody else’s opinion going to change your mind about what you’re seeing and experiencing? At this point, I f you don’t like it, why would you keep it? I certainly wouldn’t if I didn’t like mine. You’ve got a decision to make, and I hope your next one is the correct one. Happy and safe flying! 👍🏾

Got mine in today after the sun went down, got it updated charged and ready to go. I knew it was missing some stuff but the firmware is rushed... I could understand them shipping the thing without active track kinda... but not having hyperlapse and pano seems just lazy and stupid on them.. I will play lightly out in the open tomorrow with it and see how I like the flying, some low light sunset stuff and check out the range compared to my air2.. we will see if I keep it...

The only thing that making me want to keep it past tomorrow is supply and demand but then again I didn't buy care refresh on it for this reason... and I CAN return until end of January on amazon... so we will see.

For what its worth, the few ground based pics inside I took look awesome compared to my air2. I hovered it for a bit and it seems quieter which is amazing and I do like the battery life... you know when I can do hyperlapse!

Reactions: Vlaak
I compare this to camera equipment or computer software, I always wait a while until the dust settles to see just how good things pan out to be. I also tend to wait for two full revisions before considering a software because it's so easy for these things to be discontinued, so no sense in getting in a hurry for something that will be extinct by next year. I have an MP2 that I have had for about a year now and am perfectly happy with it without spending a boatload of money to "upgrade". Good luck making your decision and let us know how this goes.

Cordially,

Mark

@Smooth Rhythm
It's good, you enjoy your M3 but there's also a bit of a flip coin overall in supporting the manufacturer with the full amount of money early on with so many basic things just not settled. If we ever see a Mavic 4, what will be the shipping status? Just the boot up screen, power on but no flying?

Don't get me wrong, DJI is a well-known company, but things like panoramas, waypoints, no SC 1 compatibility (yet another promised broken) or even other legal things not settled, I wonder, if the customer should reward such practices?

Most of us are familiar with early access software: you either pay less for the prospect of a good product later and, fund a development, which otherwise could not be tackled or even pay more for being part of the development. I am not sure, if DJI combined the right parts of this thinking tbh and is financially they are certainly not an indie developer.

But I very much grant your enthusiasm with your new drone and really wish you happy flying. ;)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard