DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS coordinates from EXIF data are wrong

Capra Vecinului

Reactions
Hello Mavic friends! (I am posting this here as it is photo related; please notify me if I'm wrong).

Out of curiosity, yesterday I punched in Google Maps the GPS coordinates from the EXIF data of some pictures taken with the Mavic. Tried it with at least 5 random pictures taken on 5 different flights. All show a deviation of approx. 300-600 m off the correct position the drone was actually flying when the pictures were taken.
Nevertheless, aircraft positioning on those flights was spot on; for I have used RTH and it returned flawlessly and landed within 2-3 inches from the takeoff spot; I also checked the GPS coordinates from random flight logs and those are 100% accurate; so it must be some EXIF data recording failure.

Anyone else noticed this? Please check and let me know what you'll get.

Is the offset in a fixed direction? That sounds like the "Calibrate Map Coordinates (for Mainland China)" offset.
Well, no; sometimes it's 400 m towards SW; other times 500 m towards North. Kind of random, I would say. But what's that "Calibrate Map Coordinates (for Mainland China)" offset; is there a known issue? Where can I read more about it?

Nobody else noticed such a discrepancy between the GPS data in the oicture EXIF and the actual, real position of the craft when shooting it? Am I really the only one with this issue - IF it is an issue?

I am in Minnesota, and the EXIF data shows my pictures are being taken someplace in the sea near Egypt. I'd say that's a discrepancy... however there is a new firmware update and I have yet to see if that fixes anything.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada