DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS or WIFI?

Phxbari

Reactions
I've still got much to learn, so here's one of the things puzzling me. Why would one ever use WiFi instead of satellite? Is it the way to go if indoors or where sats are difficult to "see"?

WiFi and GPS are used for different functions, so "WiFi or GPS" is a wrong question.

Some drones use WiFi to communicate with remote controller, or device (if you fly without a controller).

Devices use WiFi to communicate with controller (in case you have a Spark), if you don't use a cable.

Drones use GPS to know location, altitude above ground, speed, direction of movement, etc. Practically you cannot use satellites to fly your drone.

Last edited:
the Wifi switch on the mav is to allow you to fly without the controller using your phone it has restricted range and performance in this mode and really it is much better to use the controller at all times

Reactions: Phxbari
the Wifi switch on the mav is to allow you to fly without the controller using your phone it has restricted range and performance in this mode and really it is much better to use the controller at all times
Ah! Now I get it. I wasn't catching the potential use for wifi control using my phone/tablet. So, does that mean I could use my phone or tablet to fly inside a factory, and if so, might it be more reliable communication to my MP than relying on it seeing satellites?

Ah! Now I get it. I wasn't catching the potential use for wifi control using my phone/tablet. So, does that mean I could use my phone or tablet to fly inside a factory, and if so, might it be more reliable communication to my MP than relying on it seeing satellites?
no the wifi switch only lets the drone be controlled by your phone it does not change the way the drone flies it still needs GPS and it is just a way of the phone to communicate with the drone as apposed to using the controller also it is not as good as the ocusync that the controller uses it just allows the drone to be flown if the controller is not available

Many thanks for straightening me out on this, oh wise one. :) It may have finally sunken in. I wasn't really desiring to fly by phone/tablet anyway. So, would it be correct to say that if I wanted to fly around within a building, it would be ill-advised if i didn't see some number of sats?

Many thanks for straightening me out on this, oh wise one. :) It may have finally sunken in. I wasn't really desiring to fly by phone/tablet anyway. So, would it be correct to say that if I wanted to fly around within a building, it would be ill-advised if i didn't see some number of sats?
Flying indoors can be tricky and it's not a good place for learning..
Often the roof will block GPS but if the blockage is only partial, the drone may drift in and out of GPS which can be a problem.
It's better to switch GPS off completely (not a simple matter with a Mavic) and rely on the VPS if the lighting and floor texture are suitable.

Reactions: old man mavic

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast