DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Replacement

drdrift

Reactions
If GPS has been damaged ( GPS antenna cracked ) , can antenna just be switched ? Unsolder and solder again new ceramic antenna ?

Anything can be replaced if you're able to source the parts and install them.

Hello from the Crossroads of America drdrift

Here's one of a few tear down videos on YouTube of the mini 1.

Yes it can be accomplished, but it's a little nerve racking if you're not experienced with taking things apart AND put back together.

I tried repairing the Gimbal on my Spark years ago. The gimbal doesn't work properly but it still flies.

Watch the video(s) and good luck.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

If GPS has been damaged ( GPS antenna cracked ) , can antenna just be switched ? Unsolder and solder again new ceramic antenna ?
EDIT I didn't see MA2 317's post when I originally posted the following.

I do not know if that is possible but I suspect it would be easier to swap the board thatcarries the GPS module.
I think, note only think, it is the top board in the drone though I could have my drone's mixed up. If I am correct the question then becomes "is this board electronically paired to the Mainboard", I do not know the answer to that question.

Last edited:
My question was more oriented to whether any of you have done this?. I can't find it anywhere on internet....Why would I change the entire GPS module that costs $40-50 when the ceramic gps antenna costs $2-3?

My drone was working fine, no error codes, except it had 0 satellites after minor crash, when I opened the top, I could see that ceramic gps antena on the top module, cracked at one side.....

Why would I change the entire GPS module that costs $40-50 when the ceramic gps antenna costs $2-3?
Because repalcing just the antenna may be beyond your capabilities and you may break something else in the process.

I don't want to sound presumptuous. I have experience with electronics, I know how to work with, assemble, solder, do diagnostics, also I have all the necessary equipment and tools, and I also know that it is a bit risky job because all the components are tiny and fragile.... But thanks for worrying anyway.

Is there some kind of electronic block on the GPS board that detects the antenna change or something like that, since I can't find a tutorial or any experience anywhere.

As things stand it looks like I'll be the one who is going to do a full tutorial on how to do it.

you would need to replace the GPS unit complete with its board its a plug and play no soldering required it would be quite easy to do once you exposed the the unit just be careful that you dont damage the fine connectors to the board
cost will vary depending on the source of the replacement there are plenty of them out there ,maybe obtain a crashed for spares MM ,only problem with a used one is knowing if it is still working

I don't want to sound presumptuous. I have experience with electronics, I know how to work with, assemble, solder, do diagnostics, also I have all the necessary equipment and tools, and I also know that it is a bit risky job because all the components are tiny and fragile....
fair enough.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada