DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Grains Bar

It was a fine flight. What interests me is the name. Being in the states makes it difficult to understanding English vernacular at times. Why is a golf course named," Grains Bar?"

It was a fine flight. What interests me is the name. Being in the states makes it difficult to understanding English vernacular at times. Why is a golf course named," Grains Bar?"
The golf course is at a village called Grains Bar which is to the East of a town called Oldham but the course is not in itself called Grains Bar. The golf Couse is called Bishop Park golf course, a small 9 hole course.
I've flown it a few times now but this was the first time with the Mini 3 Pro.
See here in Google Earth

Reactions: Micky52 and sikspy
The golf course is at a village called Grains Bar which is to the East of a town called Oldham but the course is not in itself called Grains Bar. The golf Couse is called Bishop Park golf course, a small 9 hole course.
I've flown it a few times now but this was the first time with the Mini 3 Pro.
See here in Google Earth
You're kind to put up with me, but how is something called,"Grains Bar"? I know the words,"Grains" and "Bar", but together, what does it mean?

Ok, I Googled it to simplifly things. I did say that your vernacular was different than the states. I did not know that "bar" was a toll booth. A pub "bar" or shallows in a river,"bar". I never heard it said that way in the states. I'm one for wondering why things are as they are.
Being isolated by the mountains, West Virginians use a lot of old English words. Many places in the States don't understand what we're saying. My grandmother once asked my wife "to fetch the poke from the press". My wife had no comprehension of what she was talking about.

Last edited:
You're kind to put up with me, but how is something called,"Grains Bar"? I know the words,"Grains" and "Bar", but together, what does it mean?

Ok, I Googled it to simplifly things. I did say that your vernacular was different than the states. I did not know that "bar" was a toll booth. A pub "bar" or shallows in a river,"bar". I never heard it said that way in the states. I'm one for wondering why things are as they are.
Being isolated by the mountains, West Virginians use a lot of old English words. Many places in the States don't understand what we're saying. My grandmother once asked my wife "to fetch the poke from the press". My wife had no comprehension of what she was talking about.
No problem. I like it when people show interest in where I live.

I did a search for the historic name origin of the village and didn't turn up anything of note but my own local knowledge suggests (and this is my non-expert opinion) is that the 'Bar' part of the name refers to a 'Bar' or a spur from the Pennines range of hills, an extension from Crompton Moor which is in itself an extension from Saddleworth Moor to the East of Manchester, and the name given to that bar is 'Grains'.

There is a pub in the village called Grains Bar Hotel but the hotel derives it's name from the village so has no bearing on the village's name.

I can't add more to this unfortunately. I live a mile and a half away from this village so I think my local knowledge of the area is fairly good, but can't add more except to say that up until the early 1970's it was on the historic boundary between Lancashire and Yorkshire, now that boundary is 3 miles away.

For more info of the area check out this web site

Last edited:
No problem. I like it when people show interest in where I live.

I did a search for the historic name origin of the village and didn't turn up anything of note but my own local knowledge suggests (and this is my non-expert opinion) is that the 'Bar' part of the name refers to a 'Bar' or a spur from the Pennines range of hills, an extension from Crompton Moor which is in itself an extension from Saddleworth Moor to the East of Manchester, and the name given to that bar is 'Grains'.

There is a pub in the village called Grains Bar Hotel but the hotel derives it's name from the village so has no bearing on the village's name.

I can't add more to this fortunately. I live a mile and a half away from this village so I think my local knowledge of the area is fairly good, but can't add more except to say that up until the early 1970's it was on the historic boundary between Lancashire and Yorkshire, now that boundary is 3 miles away.

For more info of the area check out this web site
Again, I read that bar was a name for a "toll booth". It was on the boundary line there.

Again, I read that bar was a name for a "toll booth". It was on the boundary line there.
Yes. Up until the early 70's it was indeed on the boundary between Lancashire and West Yorkshire. Indeed even now there is a road sign in the village that says 'Historic boundary of West Yorkshire' (or words to that effect). I could have even caught that sign in my original source footage before the edit! In fact during the above flight I managed to get into the historic county of Yorkshire! I never thought about that!!😱

Trust an American to teach me about where I live (lol)

Last edited:
Yes. Up until the early 70's it was indeed on the boundary between Lancashire and West Yorkshire. Indeed even now there is a road sign in the village that says 'Historic boundary of West Yorkshire' (or words to that effect). I could have even caught that sign in my original source footage before the edit! In fact during the above flight I managed to get into the historic county of Yorkshire! I never thought about that!!😱

Trust an American to teach me about where I live (lol)
Yep, I'm done here. I have to fetch that poke out of the press. Lol.

Reactions: FlushVision
Yep, I'm done here. I have to fetch that poke out of the press. Lol.
I just took a look at the source footage and, yes! I got the sign. You can't make out the text in the sign but this picture will give you a clue as to where it's positioned in the village.
GrainsBar Sign.jpg

I think we need to set down and talk about things over a meal at King's Arms. Oh to trade places with you for a day. Lol.

Reactions: FlushVision
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_