DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Grand Canyon mini 2?

Really! thats s shame what about Monument Valley? or Bryce Canyon
If it’s a national park, it’s a no. It’s the same here in the UK - no flying from national parks.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
See this thread on monument valley - Monument Valley
There are ways around it, but keep in mind US police and law enforcement aren’t as friendly as ours. Here you’re likely to get a slapped wrist and told to jog on. Over there, you’re going to at least lose your equipment. Also, it’s Navaho land - so gets very complicated. I personally wouldn’t risk it in a foreign country.

Ok well its nice to know, anyway we are going to Java and lombok this year and
doing a good bit traveling around Volcanoz Bromo etc and i know its ok to fly it out there ?

In the National Parks bring a good camera and tripod. When driving on roads abutting parks you're likely to find interesting subjects. Pull over and fire up your drone.

Extract from the UK Lake District National Park site
“A person wishing to operate a drone for non-commercial or hobby purposes within the restrictions of Articles 166 and 167 does not require a specific licence or authorisation. “

Extract from the UK Lake District National Park site
“A person wishing to operate a drone for non-commercial or hobby purposes within the restrictions of Articles 166 and 167 does not require a specific licence or authorisation. “
Looks like my closest one is the exception then. The Peak District doesn’t allow it on their land.
‘Bye-laws exist on our own land which precludes the flying of model aircraft’.
You’d need to find a friendly farmer.

• Sad
Reactions: THE CYBORG
Hello Photoman Phil:

As mentioned above, the simplest answer is it is illegal to pilot your drone within the boundaries of a National Park in the United States. There is some debate about whether or not you can legally fly your drone into a National Park from a piloting position outside of the boundaries. If your review of regulations in the United States convinces you that you can fly over the National Park boundaries from an outside piloting position, then you might find sections of the Grand Canyon’s North Rim west of Highway 67 useful. If you’re driving a high clearance vehicle there are Forest Service dirt roads that run west and reach sections of the North Rim administered by the US Forest Service. Within Forest Service lands you can fly your drone. In some of those areas, the boundary for the National Park is the actual edge of the rim - into the canyon is National Park, outside of the canyon is National Forest.

Even if you were not convinced that launching in the National Forest and flying over the National Park was legal, there are areas where you could launch your drone, fly up less than 400 feet, and rotate your drone for spectacular views of the Grand Canyon. Admittedly this would take extra time and a capable vehicle to reach those regions, but my wife and I find those regions more enjoyable than the more crowded areas of the North Rim within the National Park.

Have a great trip!

Howard

I am from the UK i was wondering if you are allowed to fy your Mini 2 over the Grand Canyon, as i was thinking of going there next year, and has anyone yet flown it there yet?
If you really want to run into the law, do that! Flying in the national parks is a huge NO NO. Even if you do manage to sneak a flight in, if you publish it on media, someone will turn you in! So no use even trying. Some parks can be hard to differentiate on a video, but there is nothing else that looks like the Grand Canyon, except the Grand Canyon. I once managed to do a quick flight once in a national park but the scenery was very generic and could not really be poinpointed. But if you try to fly over the Grand Prismatic and the drone falls into the center of the boiling mud, you are really F....ed.

This is the Grand Prismatic but taken from an observation point overlooking the magnificent multicolored hot cauldron.

Dale
Miami
The Grand Prismatic- Yellowstone National Park,MT.jpg

Ok i get the picture i been to the Grand Canyon three times in the past 15 years and have taken quite a few photos of it.
And not being from the usa, i didn't realise the laws of flying small drones was so frowned apon.

Ok i get the picture i been to the Grand Canyon three times in the past 15 years and have taken quite a few photos of it.
And not being from the usa, i didn't realise the laws of flying small drones was so frowned apon.
Yes- flying a drone at the Grand Canyon is a fast way to get a ticket and a fine and maybe worse by the park police.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S