DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Great cinematic shots for Mavic Air 2

BraveProgram

Reactions
I was amazed by the shots in this video. What I would like to know is how much of this is because of the Mavic air 2? Or the quality is done by editing? because I would like to get a Mini 2 because of budget constraints, but these shots just made me think twice about the mini 2 and would rather get the air 2. Can the Mini 2 take such quality shots as the Air 2?

Nothing will come without proper knowledge combined with equipment ... usually knowledge stands for the majority of the achieved result.

Both can shoot in 4K, so resolution wise it's no difference ... the Air 2 have a slightly larger sensor which maybe can create a slightly cleaner picture if higher ISO settings is needed. Air 2 also have a couple more alternatives regarding fps than the Mini 2. As both sensors still are comparably quite small I don't expect that the dynamic range will differ so much that it make a real difference.

When shooting video it's so much more than just push the button with the camera on auto settings & pointing the drone ... usually it's filmed very flat, really low contrasts & low saturation with low sharpening ... this to give more headroom during the edit. Editing can also be demanding both knowledge wise & computer wise ... all combined is needed in order to finalize the result to the highest quality.

If you aren't into filming already & know how to squeeze out the very best in edit & camera settings, I say you will be fine with the Mini 2.

Yeah, I'd agree with slup - in the case of the Air2 vs Mini2, the difference in technology will be about 5% of the end result.
For cinematic looking film, there's a bunch of stuff that's more important and applies to both drones:
- choice of exposure
- choice of framerate
- type of maneuvers flown (and smoothness with which those are executed)
- post-production

The video you linked shows the difference between the original footage and graded at the end (along with an upwards flowing waterfall in one shot!) - even things like choice of music can make a huge difference.

I've not tried a Mini2, but the main advantage of it is weight, and the ability to "fly anywhere" in many countries (I've had to do an A2CofC to fly my Air2 in more built up locations, and even then I need to be aware of people)

However I've also had my Air2 up in wind conditions that would probably see a Mini get blown away... the tracking modes may or may not be important to you also.

One of the things that always bothers me is when I see a bright cyan sky that starts to tinge to the colder/yellower side. My X-Star would do that right out of the camera (sometimes, it was rather hit and miss) But with today's popularity of over saturated colors some people get video to the point of looking like a cartoon. I guess it just bothers me more since I do color for a living and that stuff pops out to me....or maybe I'm just an old grouchy man... LOL

More people than less, don't really know how to use HDR. They over saturate their images/videos and that spoils the whole thing. Done correctly, the viewer will wonder why they think this image/video looks superb. Done wrong, as is so often the case, the viewer looks at the image and says... wow that is very strong looking colours, rather unreal looking.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk