DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Great photos, miserable flight.....

Gemini8026

Reactions
First serious attempts at landscape photos tonight. Went out to my favorite park near Saskatoon Canada and took off. 15 minutes into first flight I lost my connection between the remote. 500 or so meters away, and in a natural area with no obstructions or radio issues. And for the next 20-30 minutes I would fly good for a while, and then get multiple disconnects where even the remote control would lose all connectivity. I had multiple return homes. Im not sure how to upload flight logs, but I would like to share my logs. (*Figured something out, check attachments?)!) ((Now when I upload them it tells me my message is spam... ughh...)

I wasnt sure if it was my phone having a crappy connection (the USB jack and my Galaxy S9+ do not get along great in the standard configuration. Id like tips on improving that, I just removed that little plastic bracket so I could get the USB cable into the phone all the way in)

But I found it strange that if my phone would disconnect, that it would cause the aircraft to just stay idle out in the sky with me pressing buttons on the remote. It is as if everythinh was just lost between remote and bird. I experienced this when the aircraft was 500 yards away, and I experienced it when it was 20 feet away. I had zero trust in it and I am not sure what was causing this so would love to know peoples impressions and if seeing the flight log would be of any benefit!

Config -
Mavic 2 pro
Galaxy s9+

DoubleU3.jpg DoubleU4.jpg DoubleU2.jpg

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-09-08_[18-42-21].txt
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Edit...

Any suggestions. Doesnt look like this stuff gives give errors . Just basic data from what I see in the converters...

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-09-08_[18-42-21].txt
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-09-08_[19-01-08].txt
    32.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-09-08_[19-16-52].txt
    15 KB · Views: 0
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-09-08_[19-10-40].txt
    554.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-09-08_[19-18-49].txt
    140.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-09-08_[19-21-59].txt
    359.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-09-08_[19-28-58].txt
    272.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-09-08_[19-34-06].txt
    446.9 KB · Views: 1
Similar issues have unfortunately been common on M1P and a bunch of Android devices. The common ways that usually get rid of those have been:

1) use the full-size USB plug on the remote for connecting your phone
2) use a known good quality USB cable for plugging the phone in
3) switch the phone to airplane mode when flying
4) kill all the other running apps on your phone
5) make sure you don't have other wireless-emitting devices on/near you, like smart watches

On M1P downgrading the DJI GO app version also helped, indicating that at least in same cases this was more of a software problem. But with M2 it's not an option as you'd need a new version in any case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auspete
First serious attempts at landscape photos tonight. Went out to my favorite park near Saskatoon Canada and took off. 15 minutes into first flight I lost my connection between the remote. 500 or so meters away, and in a natural area with no obstructions or radio issues. And for the next 20-30 minutes I would fly good for a while, and then get multiple disconnects where even the remote control would lose all connectivity. I had multiple return homes. Im not sure how to upload flight logs, but I would like to share my logs. (*Figured something out, check attachments?)!) ((Now when I upload them it tells me my message is spam... ughh...)

I wasnt sure if it was my phone having a crappy connection (the USB jack and my Galaxy S9+ do not get along great in the standard configuration. Id like tips on improving that, I just removed that little plastic bracket so I could get the USB cable into the phone all the way in)

But I found it strange that if my phone would disconnect, that it would cause the aircraft to just stay idle out in the sky with me pressing buttons on the remote. It is as if everythinh was just lost between remote and bird. I experienced this when the aircraft was 500 yards away, and I experienced it when it was 20 feet away. I had zero trust in it and I am not sure what was causing this so would love to know peoples impressions and if seeing the flight log would be of any benefit!

Config -
Mavic 2 pro
Galaxy s9+

View attachment 45859 View attachment 45860 View attachment 45861
Beautiful shots.

As a quick test, have you tried changing the auto switch 2.4 to 5.8ghz to off in transmission settings? Im wondering if some disconnects are a result of this. Its something Occusync 1 didnt have.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slitsling69