DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Green Dot in My Video (the sun?)

Here's a dot that I got in one of my videos.
I had the ND5 on. I didn't even realize it until I had posted the video and was watching it over on my 65" 4K tv. Makes it look much bigger and more obvious. Comes in right at the bottom of the screen as the sun hits the lens.

That's unfortunate. I was going to ask if it can be recreated with the ND filters on. And Patmat answered that right above.

I'm now having serious doubts whether I should buy the Mavic 3 due to this issue, it bugs the hell out of me on my iPhone Pro Max :(

So any videos or photos shooting with the sun in view will result in the green lens flare, and there is no way of preventing this apart from changes in post (software)? How easy is it to remove this on Videos/Photos?

I'm now having serious doubts whether I should buy the Mavic 3 due to this issue, it bugs the hell out of me on my iPhone Pro Max :(

So any videos or photos shooting with the sun in view will result in the green lens flare, and there is no way of preventing this apart from changes in post (software)? How easy is it to remove this on Videos/Photos?
Really easy to remove in LR/PS from photos. Realistically you aren’t going to remove it from video.

Reactions: leebroath
Guys all the examples you have shown are the type of lens flare we have all grown up with and love, just look at the movie examples posted earlier. This new one on the Mavic 3 is like having a teenager shinning a green laser pointer at the centre of the cinema screen. It is without a shadow of a doubt for me the most condensed, unnatural and unsightly lens flare I have ever seen.

Reactions: leebroath
I have now cancelled my order for the Mavic 3 and Pro Controller, a few things contributed to the decision

The terrible lens flare was indeed part of this.

I'm going to stick with my Mavic 2 Pro, for my usage as a hobby it still shines as the one of the best drones out there :)

Reactions: EasyV
I too reluctantly had to return my Mavic 3 Flymore Combo.

I like many here purchased the Mavic 3 as soon as it was up for sale on the DJI Store at 2am. 3 days later it arrived. During setup I soon realised that things just didn't seem right. A slew of missing features that didn't make any sense and the final straw for me was the terrible DJI Fly app coupled with that cheap looking plastic Remote Controller with a load of missing buttons!

It felt like going straight from University back to Kindergarten. Then I started to watch YouTube videos of unusual flight characteristics that take away control from the pilot and then the green dot lens flare problem. A problem that persists even through ND filters.

This is just too much to except at a fully fledged launch of a flagship new drone and something more inline with a brand new small to medium sized Kickstarter project.

I have been a massive DJI fan for the last 3 years. I really love what they do but this launch has been pretty weird to say the least. Was I really being naïve to expect as standard the features I enjoyed with the Mavic 2 Pro? Should I have expected them to be entirely missing at the launch of the Mavic 3?

I honestly expected these features to not only be present but also enhanced after a three year gap between the previous versions.

Yes I get that the new firmware updates will address these shortcomings and I will certainly be watching how that all pans out before purchasing the Mavic 3 again but that has nothing to do with them being missing at launch imho.

A final note worth mentioning is that throughout the returns process, DJI customer support were fantastic and I was genuinely sorry to be returning this new drone to them.

BAAA576B-EAD2-4E3A-B316-404CD6C24675.jpeg
Yeah, I got the dot too.
This is without any filter, wonder if they will help with the lens flare?

Last edited:
Reactions: jelarv
Noth
Yeah, I got the dot too.
This is without any filter, wonder if they will help with the lens flare?

Nothing can help with this, they would need to pull open the front glass then change the coating on the actual lens

This isn't going away, DJI have really messed up the Mavic 3 :(

• Wow
Reactions: EasyV
No ... an ND filter won't make any difference.
It will just reduce the level of light uniformly across the whole frame.
Little do you know, they sent me an ND2000. Lol the dang thing is like looking through a welding mask lol. I won’t be surprised if it’s still there. I don’t even care about it really. I think it adds a cool touch to the shot

Little do you know, they sent me an ND2000.
Umm no .. Whether ND2 or ND2000 it's still going to reduce the light intensity uniformly across the whole frame.
The resulting image will look basically the same, but shot with a much longer exposure time.

Umm no .. Whether ND2 or ND2000 it's still going to reduce the light intensity uniformly across the whole frame.
Ummm yeah… You cant have lens flare if no light enters the sensor. Lol. When was the last time you used an ND2000!?
It was a joke. Honestly though, my guess would be The less light entering the lens, the less harsh the flare will be.
Also the NDPL may reduce this effect. Lol if not I do know that a little masking in after effects will. But, like I said. I don’t mind it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61