DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Green Dot of Death

On a still, absolutely, but on your 60fps 5k footage? No, you will be stuck with that green laser pointer for every single frame it appears.
I kind of negotiate this to flying in the Rain. If you want you can fly so the rain does not show up on the video an I think you can do the same with this once you see the Green dot . The problem comes if you do not see the green dot and you have that evil smack in the face surprise.

Once your aware of the Green dot , a good Cine pilot will get around it pretty easily as will someone use to flying in the Rain.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain. and Land on the Water

I kind of negotiate this to flying in the Rain. If you want you can fly so the rain does not show up on the video an I think you can do the same with this once you see the Green dot . The problem comes if you do not see the green dot and you have that evil smack in the face surprise.

Once your aware of the Green dot , a good Cine pilot will get around it pretty easily as will someone use to flying in the Rain.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain. and Land on the Water
I hear you dude.

Just wish it was like other lens flares is all. The same issue was found on the new iPhone and it was met with exactly the same reaction. Ugly ugly ugly.

Lol ok so I am clearly upset about this. Why? Because I was really looking forward to buying a M3 again seeing as I sold my amazing M2P. Now I am looking around for another M2P and its upsetting to say the least.

As you said at least you can edit it out of the beautiful stills the M3 takes, but to edit it out of the movie files will need much much more effort.

There is no lens in existence regardless of cost that can stand up to that, much less the cheap (relatively) lens on a M3. Lens flare takes on many different shapes and forms depending on the optical design and angle to the sun, sometimes it's more like a dot, other times you can see the shapes of the lens elements, and everything in-between. The reason it's green is due to how it interacts with the anti-reflective coatings on the lens element(s). You have to understand the conditions that cause it and work around it, just like every other photographer does. You're asking it to do the impossible and that is not a fault of the product. If you insist on shooting directly into the sun, adjust your angle until the flare disappears - you don't have any other choice. If the sun is just outside the frame, that's where a lens hood helps the most, and I assume those will be available soon through third party channels if they aren't already.

Personally I'd rather have a small dot than a huge flare taking up the bulk of the frame but everyone will have a different opinion there.

Last edited:
It looks like you are shooting into the sun.
Avoid shooting directly into the sun, shift the lens up/down or move the camera left/righ until the flare disappears. Look for a lens hood which I doubt is available.
There you have it. Rudimentary photography but always a possible plus to an image.

Reactions: Droniac
There is no lens in existence regardless of cost that can stand up to that, much less the cheap (relatively) lens on a M3. Lens flare takes on many different shapes and forms depending on the optical design and angle to the sun, sometimes it's more like a dot, other times you can see the shapes of the lens elements, and everything in-between. The reason it's green is due to how it interacts with the anti-reflective coatings on the lens element(s). You have to understand the conditions that cause it and work around it, just like every other photographer does. You're asking it to do the impossible and that is not a fault of the product. If you insist on shooting directly into the sun, adjust your angle until the flare disappears - you don't have any other choice. If the sun is just outside the frame, that's where a lens hood helps the most, and I assume those will be available soon through third party channels if they aren't already.

Personally I'd rather have a small dot than a huge flare taking up the bulk of the frame but everyone will have a different opinion there.
You are absolutely right in saying that its all very subjective.

The thing is we have all been living with lens flares for decades and they were fine, they are fine. Its this new style that seems out of kilter with all the rest, this one and the one on the new iPhone.

Clearly quite a few people do not appreciate it, there have been many many posts and videos and images showing it in a negative light. It was on reddit soon after launch as the green ghost lens flare until I renamed it to what it actually is, a green laser pointer lol.

Oh boy, I have to wait for the M4 it seems.

It is easier to edit out , so there is that. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
I've used photoshop for single images to remove the green lens flare, but taking it out of several seconds of video footage may be a little more difficult. Any ideas how to reduce the appearance of this green flare within seconds or minutes of video? I'm serious. I have Vegas, Adobe Premiere, and After Effects. I can't find a good effect or plugin that reduces it or maybe even changes it's color. Or maybe we could use a tracker and mask it out somehow?

Does anyone know if any filters help with the green lens flare people are seeing?
There's nothing you can do about it for video. For images there is always Photoshop.

I've used photoshop for single images to remove the green lens flare, but taking it out of several seconds of video footage may be a little more difficult. Any ideas how to reduce the appearance of this green flare within seconds or minutes of video? I'm serious. I have Vegas, Adobe Premiere, and After Effects. I can't find a good effect or plugin that reduces it or maybe even changes it's color. Or maybe we could use a tracker and mask it out somehow?
Well there is this clone program that is capable .
UGH !

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 Green dot maker in the rain.

A sun hood or something like that might help to keep the direct sun out of the optics.

It's not a problem of Mavic 3, it's a problem with all optical systems.
I have lens flares on my Mavic 2 Zoom and on my Mini 2, on my Smartphone, ...

If the sun or another bright light hits the optical system directly in an angle a lens flare is possible, depending on the geometry of the optical system, the number of lenses etc. That's all.

It looks like you are shooting into the sun.
Avoid shooting directly into the sun, shift the lens up/down or move the camera left/righ until the flare disappears. Look for a lens hood which I doubt is available.
There you have it. Rudimentary photography but always a possible plus to an image.
Lens is available. Easy on and off

A sun hood or something like that might help to keep the direct sun out of the optics.

It's not a problem of Mavic 3, it's a problem with all optical systems.
I have lens flares on my Mavic 2 Zoom and on my Mini 2, on my Smartphone, ...

If the sun or another bright light hits the optical system directly in an angle a lens flare is possible, depending on the geometry of the optical system, the number of lenses etc. That's all.

Lens hoods don't help with direct sun light.

The thing that I don't get is why is it so Green and uniform? I have dealt with lens flare and it never looked so uniform and it was never so perfectly green.
I was really thinking of buying an M3 but the amount of issues is really turning me off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes