DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Green Dot of Death

Watch a golf tournament on tv sometime. THese are the best cameras and lenses available. Shooting in the bright sun most of the time. You will see every type of lens flare there is. Just this past weekend at the WM Phoenix, I saw it. From the green dot to circles.

Reactions: Bussty
there is no filter that will take that out. You can do it in post if it's just a short momentary thing but it's not super easy to do as far as I know.

@bkushner (or anyone with this problem really) has this been resolved or is it still an issue with the M3?

Is it every M3 or hit-n-miss?

Since this post, I’ve watched a substantial number of videos in YouTube and noted that I see this green dot regularly on many videos posted.
Drone videos, and all manner of other hand held larger cameras, or small action cams.
They all seem to have this at certain times when the sun or bright light hits the lens.
It is certainly to do with the nanoparticle multi coating low reflection that’s applied on virtually all cameras lenses made now.
Without it you’d probably get much stronger issues with the effect of light in those situations.
Having dealt with many brands of optically coated glasses over the past 22 years, I’ve noted many different colour shades in these coatings too.
Maybe coatings used more in recent years have shifted to the green hue and this is becoming more commonly seen in the green dot result.

Reactions: BigAl07
It's all M3's under the triggering conditions. It's how it handles lens flare. If no bright, point sources of light are hitting the lens, you won't see ever see it.

Yep, probably the Hasselblad coating, but all drones should be flown to handle lens flare similarly.
Don't film or shoot into the sun, and especially don't let the sun hit the lens.

I quite like a little lens flare in a yawing video, but the usual lens flare . . . I think the green dot then would annoy me in those situations, rather than the quick obvious flare.

Yep, probably the Hasselblad coating, but all drones should be flown to handle lens flare similarly.
Don't film or shoot into the sun, and especially don't let the sun hit the lens.

I quite like a little lens flare in a yawing video, but the usual lens flare . . . I think the green dot then would annoy me in those situations, rather than the quick obvious flare.
It's especially disconcerting when it moves across the frame like a little green UFO!

Since this post, I’ve watched a substantial number of videos in YouTube and noted that I see this green dot regularly on many videos posted.
Drone videos, and all manner of other hand held larger cameras, or small action cams.
They all seem to have this at certain times when the sun or bright light hits the lens.
It is certainly to do with the nanoparticle multi coating low reflection that’s applied on virtually all cameras lenses made now.
Without it you’d probably get much stronger issues with the effect of light in those situations.
Having dealt with many brands of optically coated glasses over the past 22 years, I’ve noted many different colour shades in these coatings too.
Maybe coatings used more in recent years have shifted to the green hue and this is becoming more commonly seen in the green dot result.
I've noticed that too, with having tested lenses over the years, Modern lenses handle flare well, reducing it down to just a single orb, for instance. Old flare used to be a rainbow of shapes and colors across the image, while flare now may be some veiling loss of contrast and a little dot. Works great for photos where you can easily clone out the dot, even if it's just "better but not perfect" for video.

It is every multielement lens. Not just drones. Including several hundred thousand dollar TV broadcast cameras.
Yuppers — it's the visible result of internal reflections between glass/air, and to a lesser extent, glass/glass interfaces. The more elements the lens has (like those mongo telephoto zooms used in sports), the more "pieces" the lens flare will have. Coatings have reduced the severity but as long as you can see a surface, it will reflect some light (or you couldn't see it) and contribute to the flare.

I once had a camera with no lens flare at all. It was a 1909-vintage Vest Pocket Folding Kodak, with a simple, one-element meniscus lens. Light leaks from the ancient bellows, on the other hand…

Reactions: Point Zero
It's lens flare
"I've tested filters for years..."
Oh, yeah? Show me yer lab coat
You can either stop pointing your lens at the sun or learn to use lens flare creatively and artistically the way photographers and cinematographers have done for over a century now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02