DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

greetings from North Texas

Mavic_Down

Reactions
Hello everyone. I created a forum account as part of my information gathering about possibly doing drone piloting as a part time gig. I currently find myself in the unique position of only working 2 days a week while still being able to stay in the black financially. I have some time to devote to learning a new skill and I've always had an interest in photography and practiced it at a hobbyist level.
I live in Wichita Falls and am willing to travel a fair bit to points further west and into southern Oklahoma, but I have to say I'm a little bummed that all my internet searches for drone pilot work seem to be focused in the D/FW, Austin and Houston areas.
I'm wondering where to start as far as equipment. I'm OK, spending a few grand on commercial equipment and I'm also OK with not getting the good paying jobs for a while, but I just don't see much of that in my area, or those are not jobs that will show up on a Indeed or Monster search. I'm not really seeing anything for the low-hanging real estate fruit in my area either.
I'm also wondering if the more industrial jobs for drone pilots (inspection, mapping, etc) are going to people who already work for the companies who want/need aerial imaging?

Looking forward to reading your insights.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum!

The drone business is a dog-eat-dog business. There are so many that will low ball a job which makes it extremely difficult for those just starting out. I have been Part 107 and doing pro work for years and have made decent money. You do better (at least for me) if you are a photographer that adds aerial images/videos to other photo packages.

Good luck!

Thanks very much for the reply. I'd be willing to work for burger-flipper money if there was money to be made in my area (for a while) but I'm just not seeing any demand. I just don't want to be stuck with a $3000 (or more) toy.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world. You will find plenty of support in the forums.

Hello from the Crossroads of America Mavic_Down.

Good luck with your future photography gigs if they happen.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum.
Please and do be sure you have read our guidelines.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

I created a forum account as part of my information gathering about possibly doing drone piloting as a part time gig.

Mavic_Down, your posting seems so familiar to another posting I responded to in depth a month or so back on another web site and if I can find it, I'll post it again…

We cannot tell you what work there is, anywhere… It all depends on your skills, knowledge, and abilities. I sure would not hire you to photograph my real estate, my wedding, my contraction project, or agriculture fields, when you have no experience and only "an interest in photography and practiced it at a hobbyist level."

You need a part 107 License and some measure of experience in the field you are trying to be employed in and do not be surprised to start out as "Ground Crew" only carrying the equipment to the job site…

If I find the other posting, I will post it here…

Hello everyone. I created a forum account as part of my information gathering about possibly doing drone piloting as a part time gig. I currently find myself in the unique position of only working 2 days a week while still being able to stay in the black financially. I have some time to devote to learning a new skill and I've always had an interest in photography and practiced it at a hobbyist level.
I live in Wichita Falls and am willing to travel a fair bit to points further west and into southern Oklahoma, but I have to say I'm a little bummed that all my internet searches for drone pilot work seem to be focused in the D/FW, Austin and Houston areas.
I'm wondering where to start as far as equipment. I'm OK, spending a few grand on commercial equipment and I'm also OK with not getting the good paying jobs for a while, but I just don't see much of that in my area, or those are not jobs that will show up on a Indeed or Monster search. I'm not really seeing anything for the low-hanging real estate fruit in my area either.
I'm also wondering if the more industrial jobs for drone pilots (inspection, mapping, etc) are going to people who already work for the companies who want/need aerial imaging?

Looking forward to reading your insights.
Greetings from Colorado, welcome to the forum.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803