DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greetings from San Francisco, CA.

Sixtyhorses

Reactions
After reading through for a few of days, this seems to be a an excellent forum to be part of.
I am grateful for the opportunity!

Me: cinematography interested SF resident since 2003, now with a Mavic 2 Pro on it's way. I have previously owned a DJi camera stabilizer and this is my first drone. What I have paid for the drone is less than what I paid for the gear rental and helicopter ride for an aerial shot no more than 5 years ago. Way too much silver, sweat and tears for that heli shot. Not anymore.

I am looking forward to spending some time getting acquainted with the Mavic 2's capabilities before I go out with a new project in mind and I am now looking into all the legalities and requisites for safe and sound flying/shooting.
If there was something any of you missed when you started or can wisely recommends to a newbie, please humble me. All is welcome.

Before I go high and far, I am wondering if anybody local can recommend or guide me into available redwoods or other tall trees to hike to and fly through slow and low (eye level) for an hour. This definitely away from people.

I am sure I'll otherwise find local areas to practice in for now, likely through this forum. But I want to go on a hike soon for this first project where the M2P will remain low and slow.

My package comes with 3 batteries, 3 ND and 3 circular polarizer filters, charger standard controller and a 128GB card.

DJI Mavic Pilots Community Forum

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

After reading through for a few of days, this seems to be a an excellent forum to be part of.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland Sixtyhorses.

I too am grateful for this site. ?

Congratulations on your investment and good luck on capturing the forest.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Me: cinematography interested SF resident since 2003, now with a Mavic 2 Pro on it's way. I have previously owned a DJi camera stabilizer and this is my first drone. What I have paid for the drone is less than what I paid for the gear rental and helicopter ride for an aerial shot no more than 5 years ago. Way too much silver, sweat and tears for that heli shot. Not anymore.

I am looking forward to spending some time getting acquainted with the Mavic 2's capabilities before I go out with a new project in mind and I am now looking into all the legalities and requisites for safe and sound flying/shooting.
If there was something any of you missed when you started or can wisely recommends to a newbie, please humble me. All is welcome.

Before I go high and far, I am wondering if anybody local can recommend or guide me into available redwoods or other tall trees to hike to and fly through slow and low (eye level) for an hour. This definitely away from people.

I am sure I'll otherwise find local areas to practice in for now, likely through this forum. But I want to go on a hike soon for this first project where the M2P will remain low and slow.

My package comes with 3 batteries, 3 ND and 3 circular polarizer filters, charger standard controller and a 128GB card.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic 2 Pro, Fly safe and have fun!

Well, you bought the right drone! Welcome to the Forum. I'm just a bit east of you.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Well, you bought the right drone! Welcome to the Forum. I'm just a bit east of you.
Hello, Jeff.
So many things have happened since I got my Mavic 2 that I haven't had enough time to follow through with my plans, but I have tested it indoors and studied much of what I want it do for me and what I don't need it to do for me. Basically, my focus will be exclusively on eye level cinematography and absolute zero shots above it. That's what the projects I bought it for require.
I do not have nor do I currently plan to take the 107. Basically what I need this drone for for the time being is eye level tripod and dolly shots. I recognize that this is like holding a bird in a cage, which I have never been for, but the creative plans, on my own, call for it. My drone is registered with the FAA and the registration number is neatly visible on the outside of it's body. And under my ownership, this bird will never get above eye level if I am flying it.
I am now ready to go out to shoot, but it doesn't matter where I read, it seems there is no relevant legal space to shoot for me. But there must be somewhere I won't bother local wildlife or people, where I can be alone for a couple of hours, which is all my three batteries can handle before they require charging in my car. Desert like, mountainous area, desolated flat and post apocalyptic--any of these will do. And I may need to sleep in the car if I need a second day.
Since you're local, I was hoping that you or other locals may know where I may find something within the above potential landscapes where I may shoot at eye level, legally. There is so much information online that is two or three years old that I feel the voice from those with experience may at least guide me in the right direction, if not directly point at a, b and c legal locations to play, practice and learn.

Any help with this would be highly appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjohnc1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore