DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greetings from Seattle

svenf

Reactions
Hi there - new Mini 2 owner (my first actually controllable drone; before that I had a $30 mall toy that was very hard to control and more frustrating than fun).
I have both the new FAA TRUST certificate (super-easy to get + free) for those "mandatory fun" recreational flights, and Part 107 UAS certificate just in case someone insists on throwing dollar bills at me :)

Shocking fun fact... I registered my drone voluntarily, because I want to be able to attach (at least during my first flights) useful items such as extended landing gear and prop guards, which push it clearly past 250g. But I don't mind - the way I see it, certification and device registration force me to approach flying the thing more safely and professionally from the get-go (living in KBFI Class D and under SEA Class B; I better take the regs seriously. I'm also a Part 61 pilot and prefer not to hit any drones... :)

Hoping to get to meet drone folks in the Seward Park area soon (well, after these crazy hot dog days)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! ? Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Hello from the Crossroads of America svenf.

I had a $30 mall toy that was very hard to control and more frustrating than fun).

Toy drones are easy to crash.

DJI drones are easy to fly. ?

and Part 107 UAS certificate just in case someone insists on throwing dollar bills at me :)

Heck ya!

Congratulations on the Part 107 certificate and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Greetings welcome to the forum! Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Welcome to MP!

Congrats on passing the tests (TRUST & 107) - You'll enjoy the M2! Just so you know, as a 107 pilot, all drones need to be registered regardless of weight. So...you're good to go!!!
Thanks!
I don't think that's entirely correct - having the Part 107 certificate does not make me have to register any drone.
I can fly an unregistered <250g drone like the Mini/2 for "fun and enjoyment only", and not make use of any of my Part 107 privileges (i.e. getting paid in any form), and as such would not have to register that drone. (You're correct though that the moment I actually choose to fly it under Part 107 that drone better be registered, regardless of weight.)
Let me know if you disagree.

Thanks!
I don't think that's entirely correct - having the Part 107 certificate does not make me have to register any drone.
I can fly an unregistered <250g drone like the Mini/2 for "fun and enjoyment only", and not make use of any of my Part 107 privileges (i.e. getting paid in any form), and as such would not have to register that drone. (You're correct though that the moment I actually choose to fly it under Part 107 that drone better be registered, regardless of weight.)
Let me know if you disagree.
I understand what you're saying and it makes sense as stated. On the other hand, the way I read your OP, it appears you are only flying one drone, the M2. Having both TRUST & 107, you could fly it 'commercially' meaning it needs to be registered. You can't unregister it to fly recreationaly. I'll leave this here - Register your drone. Do with it what you feel is best.

I understand what you're saying and it makes sense as stated. On the other hand, the way I read your OP, it appears you are only flying one drone, the M2. Having both TRUST & 107, you could fly it 'commercially' meaning it needs to be registered. You can't unregister it to fly recreationaly. I'll leave this here - Register your drone. Do with it what you feel is best.
Correct, I have only one drone at this time - the M2 -, and it's registered. The registration link you gave me says "Drones registered under part 107 [which is what I did] may be flown for recreational purposes as well as under part 107".
(The registration type can be changed anytime btw - for another five bucks.)

Sorry, trust me I don't enjoy rules and regs in case that's your impression... it just happens to be one of the few I think I'm pretty clear about. In any case, I'm glad I'm erring on the "safe" side by registering a drone most people are buying so that they don't have to deal with registration and tracking.
Down the road though I'm sure they want all drones to be registered (because even a Mini can cause damage), and Remote ID is, of course, also coming.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78