DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greetings from Texas!

Pirip Banadanab

Reactions
Just took my first flight a week ago. I ordered the DJI goggles and want to start FPV right off the bat (training in a very large clear area for starters.) To my mind, it seems that it will be easier to learn to fly this way. Are there any reasons to the contrary? TIA

Reactions: dirkclod
it seems that it will be easier to learn to fly this way.

I disagree. Flying in FPV mode is very different, and does take practice to get good. It feels different and in some ways is more difficult. The biggest difference is you have a very limited field-of-view: you can't see what's above or below or all-around the drone when in FPV (except what's directly in front of it).

You will need to be very comfortable at just flying the drone before you get good flying in FPV. I don't recommend trying to learn the basics of flying with goggles on. It would be like learning to drive a car at night while wearing headphones: NOT safe! - just be good at driving the car FIRST.

Also, you won't be able (or want to) use the goggles all the time. I almost always take-off and land with the goggles flipped UP, especially if I'm in a new or unfamiliar location.

The DJI goggles are cool, and I love them, but I still probably only use them maybe 20% of the time.

You should get to the point where you instinctively know and feel that Left is Right and Right is Left when flying towards you, and you would respond appropriately in a sudden/panic situation.

Just my 2 cents.

Just took my first flight a week ago. I ordered the DJI goggles and want to start FPV right off the bat (training in a very large clear area for starters.) To my mind, it seems that it will be easier to learn to fly this way. Are there any reasons to the contrary? TIA
Howdy from Wyoming @Pirip Banadanab , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.40805

Welcome to the forum! :)

To my mind, it seems that it will be easier to learn to fly this way
I have the DJI Goggles and have to agree that it's impossible to see and/or know what's going on around the drone since you're only able to see straight ahead. The view is amazing, but you probably want to learn to fly without them first.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton USA! Definitely learn to fly without goggles first, it is a good idea to have a spotter with you when using your goggles to help you avoid obstacles you may not see. Enjoy your new goggles and Mavic, Fly safe and have fun!

Welcome to Mavicpilots.com. If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

Best regards and good luck,

Rob

At the very least, you should use a spotter to watch for other traffic and obstacles. Wearing the goggles you are not able to see the airspace around you. I would not recommend learning to fly with the goggles.

Looks like the verdict is unanimous. Thanks for all your input. I will table the goggles use until I get more familiar with flight and also thumbs up on the spotter advice. Happy skies!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayaram