DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Guaging value on flying in National Parks

What value would you place on getting video of a lifetime in a National Park?

• Zero

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • <$50

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • $51 to $100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $101 to $200

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >200

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

mph300

Reactions
If you were to have interest in flying in a National Park, what kind of value would you place on that opportunity?

I Googled it, found a few cases where the fine was around $5,000 for flying a drone in a National Park.

That won't weed out the scum. And the last time I checked, most were free to enter.

Define scum.

And most national parks have a fee to enter, either by annual pass or per-vehicle per day. At least all of the most popular ones do, and the NPS wants to triple those entrance fees next year on the 17 most popular parks to something like $70 per vehicle per day.

If you are 62 or older, you can get a lifetime senior pass for $10 that gets you free or reduced admission to most national parks. It works for some state parks as well. We call it the "Geezer pass." I think they should allow free droning if you have a geezer pass. ;)

Reactions: davidaguirre
If you are 62 or older, you can get a lifetime senior pass for $10 that gets you free or reduced admission to most national parks. It works for some state parks as well. We call it the "Geezer pass." I think they should allow free droning if you have a geezer pass. ;)
They raised the lifetime senior pass to $80 a couple months ago. Fortunately, I got mine when it was still $10.

They raised the lifetime senior pass to $80 a couple months ago. Fortunately, I got mine when it was still $10.
Wow! Glad I got mine before it went up. Here in WV we get a lifetime fishing license for $25 when you turn 65. When I got mine, the guy behind the counter said "That's a great deal. Shame you don't get to use it for very long..." :eek:

My understanding of the NPS / drone rules clearly states that you cannot bring your bird into the park and fly it from there. However, you can launch from OUTSIDE the park boundaries and fly into the park legally, unless they've changed that in the last few months.
IMPORTANT!!!!! Be absolutely positive that your launch point is truly OUTSIDE their boundaries which are often further out from the entrance area.
The downside of all this of course, that flying into a park will only serve to piss off the people trying to enjoy a nice quiet peaceful setting without having to worry about a buzzing set of spinning blades over their heads. It also adds ammunition to the NPS's fight against ALL drones.
I wouldn't do it myself, even if legally not breaking any rules or laws. Just not worth it IMHO

For the most part I don't care about flying in any national park to film things that everyone else has already filmed. I can find those videos online all day long and it saves me the hassle. BUT there are some things that are in National Park lands that I do want to film that no one else has. I have started working on a personal project to document old fire lookout towers in North Carolina. There are only 123 left standing out of the 235 that were built. Around 75% of them I can fly without any problems at all but that other 25% are in National Park Lands. Those are the most remote towers as well so it isn't like you can go outside the park and fly in. Things like that are what I wish they would give waiver to fly without having to jump through so many hoops to still be shot down.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FloⒶlerta