DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Guy flying his drone with an AR-15 on him checking police activity from his house

zeusfl

Mavic Pilot Guru
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtube.com
I don't know if this was posted before but check this interesting interaction with the Police with a guy flying his drone from his property at 1 AM.

Not really an unusual encounter and probably happens more than it should. Interesting that per the officer the Phantom was“over my head” when in reality he was completely wrong.
Hopefully all involved learned a few new lessons.
Me, I would have left the Phantom in the house just to avoid the potential conflict. Not into battles anymore.

Seen it. Honestly, the guy was doing nothing illegal. As long as he was not threatening anyone with the gun, causing a scene, or being disorderly then I have no issues with it.

He's on a list now.
I would rather be on there good side then make them mad at me.
You want to make them nervous
With a gun and a bullet proof vest.
They don't know if you're going to open up on them. To many crazy one's out there.
You're referring to the police opening up on him, right?

I doubt many of us have ever once flown a drone armed with an AR-15, wearing a Kevlar vest - or ever will. Dude is definitely way outside the main stream here, making whatever statement he was trying to make - which is why he attracted the curiosity of law enforcement. But whatever. There are all kinds of kinds.

Everything starts with the drone. The police do not like to see that drone flying and that was a "legal" flight probably by that date. Now will be illegal since does not have strobe lights. At least he had the FAA numbers on the drone.

Reactions: Paul K
They are exposed when out on a call and the drone threatens their comfort level. Who knows what the nature of the call was on their original reason for being in the neighborhood. The drone flying at that particular time of the day while on a call just makes them more nervous. Try too look at both sides of the situation to deal with the call.

Not really an unusual encounter and probably happens more than it should. Interesting that per the officer the Phantom was“over my head” when in reality he was completely wrong.
Hopefully all involved learned a few new lessons.
Me, I would have left the Phantom in the house just to avoid the potential conflict. Not into battles anymore.
I bought a drone for one reason - surveillance... sue me. It was only after that I found joy in more serene reasons.

What bothers me about this - is that the cops lied about where he was flying. The cops lied about him being defensive and not honest (man to man) but he was open and honest. He never left his yard. If they don't like drones or people open carrying - then change the law, until then - uphold the law.

Sounds like he came out first armed & vested due to possible activities on property to explore... then went back to get drone. It wasn't that he suited up to fly Drone. Many now a days might arm & vest to explore open property at night (sales of ballistic protection is very high).

He may be a little over the top, but I don't know his situation or past events. Ballistic vests for rifle or powerful caliber aren't cheap, so he's made a substantial investment in protective assets. He left AR hanging down, and he announced clearly he was armed to help lower any tension. LEO asked why he's vested... same reason as why LEO... the unknown situation.

No right to detain him... wasn't threatening, acting irrationally, nor on public property. I'd like to know the follow-up on that case. That was in 2017, did the LEO have the right to demand & record his FAA number?

Reactions: 1FromOZ and ericole
I value my life I only get one chance to live it. That being said walking up fully armed in the middle of the night on an armed police officer who lays their life down every day is total disrespect. Troll my post. Have at it.

Glad it ended OK.... The cops shouldn't have said he was overhead without the evidence, BUT: the reason provided by the person for why he was out there did not make sense to an LEO who is trying to work out what's going on, i.e. there was "someone out there , the person came out to see what was going on and felt the need to wear a kevlar vest and carry a rifle, just so he could exercise his right to be there - if he was serious about staying safe he would have just stayed inside and watched events from there. It is not a "reasonable person" (the test applied) who puts themself at risk to find out why/whether they are at risk. That reasoning is enough to make any LEO suspicious.

I don't know if this was posted before but check this interesting interaction with the Police with a guy flying his drone from his property at 1 AM.

This is police overreacting and making something out of nothing. If this man is on his property that all these officers need to know.

Reactions: ericole

Why do these officers keep asking about flying the drone at 1:00 am? Look sometimes things are made out to be about race, I don’t think it’s that this time, it appears to be the officers are looking for someone or something and they want say. The person flying the drone does nothing wrong that I can see. This is still the United States or it was in 2017, now in 2022?

Reactions: ericole
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR