DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

H.264 vs. H.265

THIS is the answer. I'm thinking the problem, for those using 4-5 year old GPU's and CPU's, is that 4K is the limitation.
Try stepping down to 2K and see if there is an improvement.

2k might help since the data rate is down, but the problem really is with the H265, which needs hardware decoding to work even passably. You either have it or you don't.

You don't need anything too crazy to edit H265 - even an iPad Pro can do it and those are very weak compared to a typical photo/video editing PC. Almost everything in the last 3 years has hardware support for it. Theoretically it will work on any machine via software, but hardware decoding is vastly superior. Processors as old as 5 years can also handle it depending on the specific model. From a GPU standpoint you are good with most things in the last 3 years (I.e. Nvidia 900 series or higher).

You can also put together a budget photo/video editing PC for surprisingly cheap these days - certainly less than the cost of the drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobomet
You don't need anything too crazy to edit H265 - even an iPad Pro can do it and those are very weak compared to a typical photo/video editing PC. Almost everything in the last 3 years has hardware support for it. Theoretically it will work on any machine via software, but hardware decoding is vastly superior. Processors as old as 5 years can also handle it depending on the specific model. From a GPU standpoint you are good with most things in the last 3 years (I.e. Nvidia 900 series or higher).

You can also put together a budget photo/video editing PC for surprisingly cheap these days - certainly less than the cost of the drone.

Recent iOS devices support H265 - again illustrating that it's not a question of raw machine processing power - it's just presence (or absence) of hardware decoding.

Reactions: Kilrah
Recent iOS devices support H265 - again illustrating that it's not a question of raw machine processing power - it's just presence (or absence) of hardware decoding.

Yes, in the mobile world, anything after Apple's A8 will support it, or Samsung Exynos 5XXX series, or Snapdragon 805 vintage (2014) and higher.

I use LumaFusion on my iPad Pro which works pretty well, and the iPad Pro is an absolute joke compared to the power of my PC. You don't need a lot of horsepower to edit H265/HEVC.

I think it is the 4K Video file that is creating the slowdown problem. My Core i7 laptop with NVIDIA i7-7700HQ struggles a bit with 4K. But it works smoothly when I edit 2K footage.

I think it is the 4K Video file that is creating the slowdown problem. My Core i7 laptop with NVIDIA i7-7700HQ struggles a bit with 4K. But it works smoothly when I edit 2K footage.

What generation i7? i7 in itself unfortunately means nothing as there are dozens of variants over the last decade from 2 cores to 8 cores.

It also looks like you may be confusing CPU and GPU because an i7-7700HQ happens to be an Intel CPU and Nvidia does not use the "HQ" moniker.

What are the exact specs of the laptop? SSD or HDD? What video card? Or the model number and I can look it up.

A lot of laptops can't cool themselves very well either and end up throttling their processors HARD after not very long when doing CPU intensive work. Video editing also likes lots of cores.

4K video editing is definitely hardware-intensive.

Reactions: Spike151
10 Bit hardware decoding. ;)
No CPU currently supports 10 Bit H265 from a hardware side. 8 Bit is a piece of cake for the Intel with the graphics component, but give them 10 Bit, they tend to choke...

10 Bit hardware decoding. ;)
No CPU currently supports 10 Bit H265 from a hardware side. 8 Bit is a piece of cake for the Intel with the graphics component, but give them 10 Bit, they tend to choke...

Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake support 10-bit decode/encode.

Reactions: Sockeye
What generation i7? i7 in itself unfortunately means nothing as there are dozens of variants over the last decade from 2 cores to 8 cores.

It also looks like you may be confusing CPU and GPU because an i7-7700HQ happens to be an Intel CPU and Nvidia does not use the "HQ" moniker.

What are the exact specs of the laptop? SSD or HDD? What video card? Or the model number and I can look it up.

A lot of laptops can't cool themselves very well either and end up throttling their processors HARD after not very long when doing CPU intensive work. Video editing also likes lots of cores.

4K video editing is definitely hardware-intensive.

This is from my dxdiag .....

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: GL502VMK
BIOS: GL502VMK.203 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 1060

For what it’s worth, I have experimented with H.265 and the vids were not compatible with Vegas Pro, Davinci Resolve or Premiere Pro CC on my machine. This machine is a new build. Intel i7 8700K 3.7GHz. 32G RAM. 500GB SSD. 2TB HD. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB VRAM. MSI MB.
Is this a codec issue ?? If so which codecs would be required. PS: I play Doom on ultra vid settings on this machine with zero issues.

For what it’s worth, I have experimented with H.265 and the vids were not compatible with Vegas Pro, Davinci Resolve or Premiere Pro CC on my machine. This machine is a new build. Intel i7 8700K 3.7GHz. 32G RAM. 500GB SSD. 2TB HD. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB VRAM. MSI MB.
Is this a codec issue ?? If so which codecs would be required. PS: I play Doom on ultra vid settings on this machine with zero issues.[/QUOT
Is this a codec issue ?? If so which codecs would be required. PS: I play Doom on ultra vid settings on this machine with zero issues.

See if this gets you anywhere:

Get HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer - Microsoft Store

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost