DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

H. 265 D-LOG MP2??

My post contained information and explanations. Just because you don't like the answe doesn't mean the information is incorrect.

Well so far I am really not impressed with his entire H 265 Dlog blah blah blah, sounds like gonna have to buy another couple thousand dollars to even utilize what DJI has done for us. I am trying to work with proxies but frankly when I apply that LUT it looks horrible? I don't know? I have to be something wrong.
So, you only need to do conversion if you choose to generate pro grade h.265 dlog-m 10bit video stream. It is same routine you would have to utilize with other pro videography tools, RED cameras or pretty much anything that produces 10bit color. Think of it as of capture format - you pack in there twice amount of data compared to the output format - that is h.264 Rec.709.

Do you have to use that? Absolutely not. It is needed for those who want/need to edit videos to get best possible quality from the source. It is exactly same as shooting raw dng photos instead or together with jpg files. H.265 is a video format similar to dng for photos and both require postprocessing flow. If you feel all that is excessive - set capture format to h.264 and color to 8bit.
No need then for blah-blah, conversions, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: parkgt
7th generation Intel CPUs are needed for 10 bit H265 playback. These were released in Q4 2016 so we're not talking about needing a new, ultra modern PC here - the processors have been around 2.5 years (and 8th and 9th gen are out now).

Just FYI Kaby Lake / 7th Gen Intel was shipping much earlier than that, by the end of Q2 2016 - they go to OEM's/prebuilts first, before you see them on the shelves in traditional retail channels.

CD: My I9 9900K rocks! Wound up with two 1tb 970 EVO's, one for the boot drive and one for the current month's Premiere files. I set the two Premiere caches to a third SSD and with 64gb of RAM, this machine is super dope! Premiere acts like my 10-bit files look like 640x480 to Premier. :) Smooth as butta. Wound up with a GTX-1070 TI which while not bleading edge, the difference between the old 970 and this one is very noticeable. When it was all said and done, I treated myself to a couple 27" LG 4k displays and now I'm in tall cotton! No more PROXIES....YAYYYYY! :) Now where in the world do the mucky mucks at Intel come up with processor names like Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake? Marketing...you just never know about those folks. :)

CD: My I9 9900K rocks! Wound up with two 1tb 970 EVO's, one for the boot drive and one for the current month's Premiere files. I set the two Premiere caches to a third SSD and with 64gb of RAM, this machine is super dope! Premiere acts like my 10-bit files look like 640x480 to Premier. :) Smooth as butta. Wound up with a GTX-1070 TI which while not bleading edge, the difference between the old 970 and this one is very noticeable. When it was all said and done, I treated myself to a couple 27" LG 4k displays and now I'm in tall cotton! No more PROXIES....YAYYYYY! :) Now where in the world do the mucky mucks at Intel come up with processor names like Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake? Marketing...you just never know about those folks. :)

Awesome, glad to hear you're happy with it. It's always satisfying to get a new computer, especially if your previous one was quite old.

Intel's naming scheme is indeed interesting. The next few scheduled are Cannon Lake, Ice Lake, and Tiger Lake - all 10nm.

UIOLI: G was just trying to help but it is quite easy to feel frustration when you continue to read those same help questions that you've seen over and over again. The problem is, few people who get M2's, take the time to read previous posts and to some extent, that's understandable since there are SO many. Perhaps I can help with your issue.

- On your timeline, select the first clip to which you would like to apply the REC709 LUT.

- Find the "Lumetri Color" panel (typically upper right on default Premiere installs) and click on it to open.

- In the "Basic Correction" (first panel) click on the "Input LUT" field, then click on "Browse" and navigate to the folder where you've saved the REC709 LUT. Find it and select it.

- You will immediately see an improvement in the image on the Program Monitor. Make any small changes you desire via the sliders in the other panels, (Creative, Curves, Color Wheels, etc.) and you're almost finished.

- Now, if you have more clips from the M2P on the timeline, you can quickly "paste" the Lumetri correction to all of them at once. To do that:

- With the same clip still highlighted, right click on it and choose "Copy."

- Now, using the mouse, drag over the remaining M2P clips to highlight them and finally,

- Right click on one of them and choose "Paste Attributes."

- In the resulting dialog box, just hit and don't be confused by all the other checked items listed like Motion, Position, etc. If the clips were all shot with the M2 and at the same frame rate (and you haven't changed the playback speed of any of them or parts of them and you haven't resized or moved the output window in the Program Monitor window,) those other items are the same for all clips and thus, won't hurt anything with "Paste."

- That will copy the REC709 LUT values and any adjustments you made manually, to the remaining clips.

If you are using proxies, the feed in the Program Monitor will only have the resolution you chose to create the proxies so make sure the PM is at 100 percent resolution, (the viewing size is up to you.) However, when you export to an H.264 file, Premiere will apply all those corrections to the native M2P Dlog files and you should have no issues playing the clip(s) back with an older computer or phone/tablet/TV. at full resolution using the H.264 container.

Since you said your clips look horrible when you applied the LUT, you definitely did something the wrong way OR, you applied a LUT more than once. That will most assuredly make the clip look bizarre.

Hope that is helpful...
That was very helpful and that is exactly what i did, applied it twice thanks again for the time

When you mentioned how horrible it looked, doubling up on the LUT was the first thing that came to my mind and of course, you know how I discovered that little diddy. :) Glad you're up and running shipmate.

Reactions: useitorloseit

Trying to figure out how to sneak by the “CFO” a setup exactly as you describe above..... wait till she learns I need a new PC that costs a bit more than the drone :eek:

Trying to figure out how to sneak by the “CFO” a setup exactly as you describe above..... wait till she learns I need a new PC that costs a bit more than the drone :eek:

Wait for Ryzen 3000/Zen2 CPUs in July and you can probably save a few hundred or so right off the bat. If you want 12-16 cores you can save $1000-1500+ vs the Intel counterpart, and so far there is no evidence the Zen2 performance will be any worse than current Intel offerings.

For video decoding rig you want latest 5ghz i9 cpu, not a thread ripper from amd. But, to each his own.

Nobody even mentioned Threadrippers, I think you may be confused - they are more in line with Intel's Xeon line. It also very much depends on what you're doing, as certain video editing processes are very linear and can use as many threads as you can throw at them. AMD has shown their 7nm 8C/16T Ryzen 7 3600X outperforming a 14nm Intel i9-9900K at CES running Cinebench R15. Now imagine that exact same processor only with 16C/32T and an even higher clock (4.8Ghz all cores, 5.1 Ghz single core XFR) for ~$500 USD - that is what is coming down the pipes in the form of a Ryzen 9 3850X. Pretty exciting stuff for workstations.

Also there aren't any i9 CPUs that can do 5GHz across all cores without a custom overclock available at the moment.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder