DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

H265 recording.

PeeDee

Reactions
Hello all, as a recent buyer of the MV2Pro Iam still learning basics, however, I have set up my camera to record in the D-Log H265 format, but I cannot edit the footage in Davinci Resolve 16 (free version ), is there a work around or will I be forced to purchase the full version ? advice greatly appreciated.. TIA

Install the codec from the Microsoft store, it will let you use it, however just remember there will be little hardware acceleration going on when editing besides the codec playback.

Hardware acceleration is going to depend on what CPU you have. If its an 8th gen or newer intel you should be OK. If its not, you're not going to get any.

There are a number of references that show very little benefit from DLog, I have abandoned it on both the Inspire and M2P. But I believe if you use H265 u do capture 10 bit video so there is a plus there. DLog is terribly painful and time consuming in post processing.

D-log takes roughly the same time to process as H264 once you have a starting LUT or presets. 1 click then adjust. Takes seconds.
For *normal* flight D-log benefit is minimal or none. But for scenes which are contrasty or have a high dynamic range there is a very clear, measurable difference when you have to manipulate and grade the footage (which is exactly what you'd expect).

If you plan on editing in post, go H264. There's little gain in H265 other than slighty smaller file size and it's better suited for 4k streaming, which Youtube takes care of anyway. H265 videos don't edit as well, even with a beefy CPU my editing ability is noticeably slower VS 264. The other thing about 264 is that it's been around longer and works on everything, HVEC (265)'s CONS IMO don't outweigh it's pros just yet.

264 wont need editing. 265 will. You've got that backwards.

If you want the most scope for editing use h.265. You can backward convert to 264 if needed.
If you film in 265 and dont need the extra data, no problem. If you film in 264 and needed extra data, you're screwed. You cant get it back.

On any modern computer the time editing and rendering the 2 is negligible.

In davince free hardware assistance is limited to what the host device gives you, so if you have a gpu that does H265 decide you will get that as long as the codec supports it, as for editing, it's all down to you.

Although in the free version of davince it will be much slower than the paid for version (that has native support and doesn't rely on OS codec packs)

10bit 265 is much better to get the most out of if you have the time, hardware and patience to use it though as the dynamic range is much better.

But hey, upto what you want to use it for etc.

Also remember davince free can't fix the barrel roll in the 265 footage, where paid version can.

All sound advice... I downloaded the HVEC codec and can now view and edit H265 files ... I will stick with them for now as I have the latest i10 processor in a brand new hi spec pc ... as said earlier pros and cons with both platforms but so far editing is smooth ... playback prior to rendering is a bit jumpy but once rendered and exported it plays fine ... thanks for taking the time to give me some spot on advice

Look into using proxies, help with editing [emoji6]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54