DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hack / Mod to control camera panning on Mavic 2 Pro

D3D

Reactions
So the panning feature exists with a clunky finger drag on the screen but that is a largely useless way to control the gimbal if you need accuracy and repeatability. Has anyone written a tool to access this feature in a more elegant way?

I would think a mod/hack should be possible as the gimbal can be controlled via head tracking using the goggles. Don't know if anyone has one yet...

It seems to weird that this feature is there but only accessible through finger dragging or goggles. I also posted here but no answer :(
This is an unadvertised capability, not supported by DJI, nor documented by them. The problem is there is no center mark to restore the camera to straight when dragging it back, nor any measure of how far off from straight it is in degrees, like with gimbal elevation. The only way to reset the camera to straight, after dragging it, even inadvertently, is to flip the camera down and then back up, which ruins any continuous video. It is an Easter Egg, not a feature. Don't use it, unless you like flying with a crooked camera. Yaw instead.

Reactions: NG Wildman
So the panning feature exists with a clunky finger drag on the screen but that is a largely useless way to control the gimbal if you need accuracy and repeatability. Has anyone written a tool to access this feature in a more elegant way?
I think the tool is called Litchi. :cool:

Im new to this but I have litchi and am not able to acheive what I want using waypoints or Focus. What I want is to have the camera facing down and fly over top of something in a sideways direction and keep it in the center frame. It would be perfect if the gimbal could simply pan in a controlled way.

Attachments

• FLIGHT2.jpg
    FLIGHT2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 21
What I want is to have the camera facing down and fly over top of something in a sideways direction and keep it in the center frame.
As you were asking about that in another thread, the answer is still the same:
The camera pan will be done with all Mavics by yawing the AC.
Here a quick sample to demonstrate how it looks with a Mavic when you try to keep the POI (the barn) in the center of the frame.
- You see the Mavic flying forward with the camera pointing down towards the POI.
- When the POI is reached the aircraft begins to turn and
- continues to fly backward to keep the POI in the frame.

POIflyoverMavic.gif

You need an AC with a gimbal completely independent controllable in the yaw and pan axis from its frame such as the Inspire series.

Yeah, in that other thread I made a video that shows the same thing as you are illustrating here. All it says to me is that someone hasn't made a mod to take advantage of the camera panning yet. With that it would be possible to fly port or starboard and keep the subject in the center for some duration of the flight. Still hoping someone will offer some direction since we know the feature is accessible as brettbrandon mentioned.

I would think a mod/hack should be possible as the gimbal can be controlled via head tracking using the goggles. Don't know if anyone has one yet...
So the head tracking using the goggles when looking left snd right does not yaw the aircraft, but, instead, moves the gimbal left and right? Or, are you only referring to the gimbal elevation movement from looking up and down?

So the head tracking using the goggles when looking left snd right does not yaw the aircraft, but, instead, moves the gimbal left and right? Or, are you only referring to the gimbal elevation movement from looking up and down?
Gimbal left right movement is what I want to control.

From what I understand the gimbal moves up down left or right as you move your head. Both panning and tilt.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.