DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Had My First Flyaway Tonight With My Air 2....

It's a beautiful neighborhood you have there. Don't forget the wires. Yikes!

It's a beautiful neighborhood you have there. Don't forget the wires. Yikes!

Thanks you, I am blessed... Trust me, im aware of those wires... I do have a fear one day they will get me if i am careless lol.

I was curious so checked the flying data myself.
It's always interesting to see the flight data to see what actually happened.
Here's what your data shows ...
There was no GPS location data for the whole, brief flight.
So no horizontal position holding ability at all and no "brakes".

From 0:2.4 to 0:3.2 you gave it full left stick to lift off.
From 0:3.3 to 0:5.4 you gave it full right stick which gave the drone a kick forward, but without GPS it didn't stop when you released the sticks.

From 0:15.6 to 0:18.2 you gave it full backwards right stick, to stop the initial motion but without any ability to brake, the drone would have kept going backwards.
You changed flight mode to Sport at 0:20.1 and from )21.7 till 0:22.9 you gave it half right stick forward, which also pushed the drone and again continued drifting after you released the stick.
At 0:23.9 you pulled the left stick down and stopped the flight.

When flying without GPS, you have to be gentle on the sticks and apply reverse thrust to slow the drone.
Giving it full stick controls will cause alarming motion in a confined area because the drone will continue when you release the sticks.
It's like driving on ice without any brakes.

Your drone did nothing wrong under the circumstances.
There is no hint of anything that could be described as a "flyaway".
Just unexpected motion due to your unfamiliarity with flying without GPS.
If you had just gone straight upwards, rather than making full stick moves in the horizontal plane, the drone would have behaved itself, and quickly acquired satellites and the flight would have been unremarkable.
Or you could have waited longer before lifting off to get GPS and record a home point.

48 MP if I remember correctly :)
That a very detailed photo. Is that your toothbrush on the sink in the left window?

Just kidding, nice shot. That does look like my drone bad on your back lawn though. ?

That a very detailed photo. Is that your toothbrush on the sink in the left window?

Just kidding, nice shot. That does look like my drone bad on your back lawn though. ?
I think it may be time for a new toothbrush as I see some of the bristles are beginning to bend.

Start off by saying it was my fault and no damage but man did it remind me these things need to be watched (already respected them).

So the grass in front of my backyard porch (attached) is a little long so I have been just taking off from under it and flying out about 10 ft and then waiting for GPS lock and a home point set before I do anything.
A very simple takeoff option when the terrain is not ideal, is to take off from your hand. I solely takeoff from my hand holding the copter from below, and I always hand catch on the return.

It will be something like that, drifting in atti mode would have been a factor.
You say it will be something like that, Would you care to enlighten us ? What other factors may have caused this, feel free to elaborate.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet