DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Had the Mavic less than 24 hours. Crashed!

Hoopster3

Reactions
So I order a Mavic Pro on Monday and it arrived Friday afternoon. I didn't purchase DJI Refresh but made a call to State Farm and got coverage started the same day. $30/yr with a $100 deductible for any damage done to the drone including anything not deemed a manufacture defect. Glad I did!

Now to the story- I had a flew good flights around my neighborhood and got some awesome video and pictures. I decided to try out a couple of the other modes of flight. I was having it track my 8 year old in my front yard. My mistake- only being about 20 feet in the air AND telling my son to stay away from the house as it was circling him. He ran around for about 1 minute and then ran close to me...right by the house. The Mavic hit my shingles, slid down the roof and nose dived onto the cement sidewalk.

I was hoping it could survive a short fall...but my hopes were dashed. Initially the compass needed recalibrated and as I picked up the drone the front had some damage and the gimble had some scratches on it. I recalibrated the compass but then it said the left sensor was malfunctioning and I should restart the drone. After doing that, it didn't fix anything and the gimble couldn't move either.

It still flys but the video is very shaky so I made a call to State Farm and opened a claim. I guess I'll be finding out how they decide to cover it soon. My son feels awful, but ultimately it's all my fault.

I was hoping for several flights with the new toy this weekend...but the fun will have to wait. Hopefully my mistake will help someone else in the future. I tried to raise the altitude, but was too late.

Here's to hoping State Farm comes through!

So I order a Mavic Pro on Monday and it arrived Friday afternoon. I didn't purchase DJI Refresh but made a call to State Farm and got coverage started the same day. $30/yr with a $100 deductible for any damage done to the drone including anything not deemed a manufacture defect. Glad I did!

Now to the story- I had a flew good flights around my neighborhood and got some awesome video and pictures. I decided to try out a couple of the other modes of flight. I was having it track my 8 year old in my front yard. My mistake- only being about 20 feet in the air AND telling my son to stay away from the house as it was circling him. He ran around for about 1 minute and then ran close to me...right by the house. The Mavic hit my shingles, slid down the roof and nose dived onto the cement sidewalk.

I was hoping it could survive a short fall...but my hopes were dashed. Initially the compass needed recalibrated and as I picked up the drone the front had some damage and the gimble had some scratches on it. I recalibrated the compass but then it said the left sensor was malfunctioning and I should restart the drone. After doing that, it didn't fix anything and the gimble couldn't move either.

It still flys but the video is very shaky so I made a call to State Farm and opened a claim. I guess I'll be finding out how they decide to cover it soon. My son feels awful, but ultimately it's all my fault.

I was hoping for several flights with the new toy this weekend...but the fun will have to wait. Hopefully my mistake will help someone else in the future. I tried to raise the altitude, but was too late.

For what it's worth, they took care of me promptly when I crashed my 3DR Solo in April. I had a check and a new drone within a week.

Reactions: The Angry Prepper
For what it's worth, they took care of me promptly when I crashed my 3DR Solo in April. I had a check and a new drone within a week.

I have 48 hours to get DJI Refresh from the time of activation of the drone. It's only been about 27 hours. Since I have a $100 deductible from State Farm, would I ne better off spending the $100 on the Refresh and not taking a chance my drone insurance goes up.

Btw- did they want you to get the drone fixed or just cut a check for a new one?

I have 48 hours to get DJI Refresh from the time of activation of the drone. It's only been about 27 hours. Since I have a $100 deductible from State Farm, would I ne better off spending the $100 on the Refresh and not taking a chance my drone insurance goes up.

Btw- did they want you to get the drone fixed or just cut a check for a new one?

I don't think getting DJI Care Refresh after the crash will cover you, even if purchased within 48 hrs of activating the drone. Care Refresh must be bought before crashing, they check the flight data that is stored on the drone

They cut me a check without much fuss. It's similar to sport bikes, which I also have. If the insurance company has the unit repaired and it falls out of the sky on your kid's head... They'd rather total it out than take the risk. Same with sport bikes.

I don't think getting DJI Care Refresh after the crash will cover you, even if purchased within 48 hrs of activating the drone. Care Refresh must be bought before crashing, they check the flight data that is stored on the drone

Yea you beat me to it! Hahaha! I was just replying and saw your post. Not to get political but that's like demanding insurance with a pre existing condition at the same rate as a healthy person! Hahaha!

They cut me a check without much fuss. It's similar to sport bikes, which I also have. If the insurance company has the unit repaired and it falls out of the sky on your kid's head... They'd rather total it out than take the risk. Same with sport bikes.

Did your rate go up after that?

What is the State Farm policy called? It sounds worth exploring!

It's an extension of your home owner's property listed under personal items. Note: I don't have homeowner's or any other insurance with them. You could have other items like: computers, cameras, electronics, wife's wedding ring, ect listed in that category and your homeowner's deductible won't apply.

They were great to work with on setting up the policy. You better hop on it while the rates are great...too many idiots (me) are going to ruin it for others.

Reactions: Milt2tle
It's called a pap, personal articles policy and you can get for around $60 a year with no deductible.
There is a whole thread on it with a list of agents across the US if you search "Gotten insurance with State Farm? If so please read" here on the forum.
A lot of good info in the thread.
I got it but haven't had to use so far. Knock on wood!

Yea it's wicked awesome! Gives that extra shot of courage to fly over water! I live in Michigan so that's kind of mandatory!

Yea it's wicked awesome! Gives that extra shot of courage to fly over water! I live in Michigan so that's kind of mandatory!

Thanks ... next question:

I live near, and would like to take photos of and around, the Missouri River, and we frolic with our kids and grandkids along the Florida beaches each year. Are the policy provisions such that the company will pay with no more proof of loss than my sworn affidavit?

Thanks ... next question:

I live near, and would like to take photos of and around, the Missouri River, and we frolic with our kids and grandkids along the Florida beaches each year. Are the policy provisions such that the company will pay with no more proof of loss than my sworn affidavit?

Sworn? I called, said "lost my drone in the river", they sent check. They didn't even ask for video, which I had as the 3DR Solo also records footage to your mobile device. My policy covers up to a few grand so I have cameras, Go Pro's, drones, etc on it. They just need receipts to show you have it and what it's worth.

State Farm will most likely cut you a check quickly but will not cover another drone for you .

Do you have to hand in the broken mavic?

I was going to say at least you will have two controllers now for flying with your son :)

Do you have to hand in the broken mavic?

I was going to say at least you will have two controllers now for flying with your son :)

They didn't want any of my old equipment. I still have it in the case.

Update- State Farm got back to me today and is sending a check for a total loss. They took my account of the events and made it an easy process. They didn't ask for pictures or video of the incident and I get to keep the crashed drone. Granted the gimbal won't adjust the camera and the vision/avoidance sensors are broke, but it still flys.

I'm excited to be able to go and purchase a brand new unit and have the extra charger and battery to use.

I'll have to report back on if they will continue to provide me coverage. It was being sent to under writing today. I won't blame them if they don't cover me but my credit score and past lack of insurance claims will be in my favor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure