DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Had the opportunity to fly down to Baja California to shoot a $26M Superyacht, mix of Mavic 3 & interior video

AlecGB

Reactions
We couldn't stop the boat because it's 156' long so I had to take off and land while it was running at speed šŸ„² one of the craziest trips of my life. Just getting the call to film it was wild enough, but my flight was delayed and I was going to miss the deadline so I changed flights to San Diego & walked across the border so I could make another flight from Tijuana to the boat.

Absolutely went above and beyond to make sure I got to shoot this footage, and I couldn't be more happy with the results. Wanted to share here! Hope you enjoy

This boat was made here in Seattle in 2011 as well, cool connection from a country away.

Very very cool, that's one of the nicest yacht videos I've ever seen. Well done!

Reactions: AlecGB
This boat was made here in Seattle in 2011 as well, cool connection from a country away.
Really good video.
I remember seeing Rochade five years ago.
DJI_0706a-X2.jpg

We couldn't stop the boat because it's 156' long so I had to take off and land while it was running at speed šŸ„² one of the craziest trips of my life. Just getting the call to film it was wild enough, but my flight was delayed and I was going to miss the deadline so I changed flights to San Diego & walked across the border so I could make another flight from Tijuana to the boat.

Absolutely went above and beyond to make sure I got to shoot this footage, and I couldn't be more happy with the results. Wanted to share here! Hope you enjoy

Beautiful video! What are you using to shoot the footage?

Awesome video! I sailed in Baja out of La Paz and it was quite clear that I would not be able to bring my drone in. Since you walked across the border, maybe that was different. Just curious if you had any problems bringing a drone into Mexico?

that dosent qualify as something to go fishing on hate to be a red neck but whats the need of such a nice for a day or two at least rig? but you did a pro looking video that was intriguing

Oh the life of the super rich...we should all be so lucky. Anyways, great video. Excellent parallax shot early on.

Awesome video. Well put together

Reactions: sarahb
Yes ... it was on the east coast of Australia back then.
Australia! So cool how we can see the same boat halfway across the world from each other.

Wow - both for the video edits and the amazing boat.
Thank you!! Love posting here because of all of the support I get. Means the world

Beautiful video! What are you using to shoot the footage?
Mavic 3 (base, not classic, not pro) & Lumix S5 w/ gimbal!

I don't remember giving permission to photo shoot my yacht but, then again the video is accepted in good taste.
šŸ¤£ šŸ¤«

What a fantastic opportunity and a great job! WOW!
Right?? I get only 1 of these a year type of jobs a year and they leave me enchanted for months. Thank you for the kind words!

Awesome video! I sailed in Baja out of La Paz and it was quite clear that I would not be able to bring my drone in. Since you walked across the border, maybe that was different. Just curious if you had any problems bringing a drone into Mexico?
I've gone into Mexico with a drone 3 times now, once a year for the last 3 years. The first 2 I flew in, this last time I hoofed it, absolutely no issues every time. I do travel with a lot of other camera gear so maybe it blends in & doesn't stick out as much. Sometimes they ask what's in the bag and I just say camera equipment and they leave it at that. I've never been inspected

that dosent qualify as something to go fishing on hate to be a red neck but whats the need of such a nice for a day or two at least rig? but you did a pro looking video that was intriguing
First thank you for the compliment, I really appreciate it. We take extra days to be able to breath and add more variety as we go. This boat sells for $26M so an extra day or two is usually worth the extra footage if we can get it. I worked until I could barely walk that day as well, so if I can choose to spread things out I'll take it hahaha. But as you've noticed, we can always make a quality product regardless, the form factor may just change a bit. Plus with added time you can do more, like vertical reels for social media or interviews with the crew etc

Oh the life of the super rich...we should all be so lucky. Anyways, great video. Excellent parallax shot early on.
Completely different world...thank you! That shot is my favorite but you're the first to mention it, I think that makes us best friends now?

Awesome video. Well put together

Thank you!! Good to hear from you again

Agree 100%.

Actually the best community, thank you for the love

Australia! So cool how we can see the same boat halfway across the world from each other.

Thank you!! Love posting here because of all of the support I get. Means the world

Mavic 3 (base, not classic, not pro) & Lumix S5 w/ gimbal!

šŸ¤£ šŸ¤«

Right?? I get only 1 of these a year type of jobs a year and they leave me enchanted for months. Thank you for the kind words!

I've gone into Mexico with a drone 3 times now, once a year for the last 3 years. The first 2 I flew in, this last time I hoofed it, absolutely no issues every time. I do travel with a lot of other camera gear so maybe it blends in & doesn't stick out as much. Sometimes they ask what's in the bag and I just say camera equipment and they leave it at that. I've never been inspected

First thank you for the compliment, I really appreciate it. We take extra days to be able to breath and add more variety as we go. This boat sells for $26M so an extra day or two is usually worth the extra footage if we can get it. I worked until I could barely walk that day as well, so if I can choose to spread things out I'll take it hahaha. But as you've noticed, we can always make a quality product regardless, the form factor may just change a bit. Plus with added time you can do more, like vertical reels for social media or interviews with the crew etc

Completely different world...thank you! That shot is my favorite but you're the first to mention it, I think that makes us best friends now?

Thank you!! Good to hear from you again

Actually the best community, thank you for the love
Great video. Well done !!!
May I ask where did you take off from and landed to avoid being seen in the drone shots? I've done once similar job with Inspire2 and we took off and hand catched on the tender boat. It was nerve wreckingšŸ„“ This is one of the stills. I took off from the bow and retouched myself out. Not so easy with video..

Attachments

• DJI_0541.jpg
    DJI_0541.jpg
    10 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reactions: AlecGB
May I ask where did you take off from and landed to avoid being seen in the drone shots?
If the boat is fibreglass you can just go inside the cabin and fly from there.
If it's a steel or aluminium boat you can still fly from inside as long as you have a window between you and the drone.

If the boat is fibreglass you can just go inside the cabin and fly from there.
If it's a steel or aluminium boat you can still fly from inside as long as you have a window between you and the drone.
In theory that could work. We wanted to have an uninterrupted and constant visual line of sight of the drone flying around the yacht and decided that the only option for us was the tender. Hair rising but all went wellšŸ™‚

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav